Starting Over with Degenerative Joint Disease

Options
2»

Replies

• bluntlysally
    bluntlysally Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    because i *just* had this conversation with someone at physical therapy this morning...

no, the pool does NOT necessarily mean swimming. there are a lot of exercises you can do in the shallow and deep water that are NOT swimming.

swimming can be very hard on the body, esp ones with injuries.
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have lupus- and I totally get it. I've been just pushing through, and it has actually made things better. Once I was able to get a good routine going, I even went off my meds with only one small flareup in the last 6 months. I've been to a yoga studio that has a class called 'Yoga for Broken People', which is for people with injuries and pain. If you could find something like that, it might be good. And any water based class
  • MichelleV1990
    MichelleV1990 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Hey! I have Lupus which causes major pain in my hips, knees, and back as well. I'm going through the same struggle trying to find some way to exercise or stay somewhat in shape without totally crippling myself. Swimming has been no help to me as well. I've found what yoga I've tried to be a trigger as well. :( Lately been trying to do short walks but those too cause strain. I've been trying to focus more on diet and less on exercise for now.

My mother also has Lupus....my heart goes out to you! I hope you are able to find something that works for you!