Thinking of registering for Montreal's half-marathon

Options
Hi all!

I run, I lift and I play soccer. I've been improving my running times drastically since the beginning of spring/summer and I'm contemplating the idea of registering for my first ever half-marathon, which would be held on September 21st, in Montreal, Canada.

Now, the thing is, I'm used to run 5 km and 10 km, but I never really went above those distances. I usually run 20-25 km per week.

Is it a good idea to register for a 21.1 km race? Besides running longer distances, how should I train? Is a time of 1:45 realistic?

My current PRs are the following:

10 km : 0:48:14 (4:49 min/km)
5 km : 0:23:06 (4:37 min/km)

Thanks everyone!

Replies

• Wiltord1982
    Wiltord1982 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Please, not everyone at the same time.

giphy.gif
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I think that you already have a great base to be successful at running a half-marathon in 3 months.

I recommend the Hal Higdon training plans - there is something there for everyone (although, you may have to do your own conversions from miles to KMs)

Also, check out www.mcmillanrunning.com for some pace predictors based on your 5K and 10K times and what your goal time is for the HM.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    With 3 months to train and based on what you've shared the answer is you can probably run a half marathon already. You wouldn't be able to do it at the 7:46 min pace you had for your 10k, and 1:45 may be a little aggressive as well, but it's definitely in reach.

About.com has some decent half marathon training plans (here's one for advanced beginners: http://running.about.com/od/racetraining/a/advbeghalf.htm). Training for a half usually involves 2-4 short fast runs during the week and a long slow run on the weekend.
  • Wiltord1982
    Wiltord1982 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, I'll give it a look :)
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I plan on running the Montreal Half-marathon as well =) only for me it will be next year (tight budget)
  • raisealittlehell
    raisealittlehell Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Listen if I can run a half marathon, than you can! You have a great running base and pace- find a plan that fits into your specific needs (time wise) and follow that guideline for uping your miles. It might mean that you mile time increases at first, but I think once you starting running longer distances, you will find a good pace for yourself.