Is yogurt good or bad

Options

Replies

• TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Oikos - Café Latte, Key Lime and Banana cream are my favorites. I eat them frequently.

Yes they have sugar but I do not keep track of just my sugars so they fit! Thanks for reminding me I have one left at work to enjoy!
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    For one thing make sure you check the sugar content it can be quite high also check fat content. Go for something low in fat calories and sugar and add some fruit if you need to sweeten it up. Yogart is good for you because it has live cultures and will help your digestion also the calcium. Hope that helped.:happy:

"Sugar" content is misleading. Even a plain yogurt with no flavor at all contains "Sugar" because yogurt is made from milk which contains naturally occurring sugar called lactose.

There is no such thing as a "good" or "bad" food. Food is inanimate. It has no morals, soul or consciousness. Food is food. There are more healthy choices and less healthy choices. Yogurt is a healthy choice but try to look at the ingredients for added sugar. If you're concerned about added sugar, get plain and add your own fruit, agave, honey or what have you.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Food is food.

I eat yogurt because I like it. It really is that simple.

Oh, and I like full fat, creamy, dense German yogurt and quark. Relatively good source of proteins and mixes really well with muesli and protein powder and fruit (frozen or fresh).

Any site, magazine or person that tells you "yogurt makes you fat" needs a swift kick in the bidoubies.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Hey, guess what I'm eating right now? Boy, I sure hope this yogurt doesn't make me fat!
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Food is food.

I eat yogurt because I like it. It really is that simple.

Oh, and I like full fat, creamy, dense German yogurt and quark. Relatively good source of proteins and mixes really well with muesli and protein powder and fruit (frozen or fresh).

Any site, magazine or person that tells you "yogurt makes you fat" needs a swift kick in the bidoubies.

Have you ever had Brown Cow cream-top yogurts? OH my gosh. Their maple is incredible.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Where do people even come up with thus stuff, dang.

Why in the world would eating some yogurt make you gain fat.

This. There seem to be endless foods that people think magically cause weight gain in any amount.

I really am curious what the supposed mechanism is that could cause this to happen.
  • pricesteve
    pricesteve Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I make my own Greek Yogurt and its a great source of easy to eat protein and I know exactly what goes into it.
  • ken_m
    ken_m Posts: 128
    Options
    to say only greek yogurt is good is very racist and bad
  • patriciapowerswilliamson
    Options
    Lowfat Greek plain yogurt is good for you as it is low in sugar and has protein. It's the crappy overly sugary "non-fat" fruit and flavored yogurts that make you fat. Look at the labels when you buy yogurt and do a comparison. Sugar is more deadly to a diet, too much as is not good either. 6 ounces of Whole Foods Lowfat Plain Greek Yogurt has 200 calories and 2 grams of sugar. I eat this with a small serving of fruit for fiber.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Lowfat Greek plain yogurt is good for you as it is low in sugar and has protein. It's the crappy overly sugary "non-fat" fruit and flavored yogurts that make you fat. Look at the labels when you buy yogurt and do a comparison. Sugar is more deadly to a diet, too much as is not good either. 6 ounces of Whole Foods Lowfat Plain Greek Yogurt has 200 calories and 2 grams of sugar. I eat this with a small serving of fruit for fiber.

Welp, looks like I'll have to reset my weight loss ticker. All that sugary, flavored Greek yogurt made me fat.

Except it didn't.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    ... Dupe ... please ignore...
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

tumblr_mb1k6fmk9h1ql9nrn-1.gif
  • VictoriousLah
    Options
    Yoghurt is actually good for your body as it provides calcium your body needs as well as other essential nutrients. I think the problem with yoghurt comes when you overeat it. As long you have low fat and within your calories for the day, you wouldn't get fat
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Yoghurt is actually good for your body as it provides calcium your body needs as well as other essential nutrients. I think the problem with yoghurt comes when you overeat it. As long you have low fat and within your calories for the day, you wouldn't get fat

I agree with most of your post, but low fat, high fat, full fat doesn't make a difference to weight loss. Calories matter for weight loss. Macros matter for health, body composition, and hunger.

And fat does a lot of good things for your body. It should be included in a balanced diet.
  • TasteofEnvy
    TasteofEnvy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    What's a "smoothie diet"?

^^This

I was like wut?? Do you mean you drink ALL of your calories??? You don't chew any food? Are you blending up donuts and pizza?? I am confused?
    Basically I take all my fruits and veggies and blend them up. There is no chewing unless I get a chunk of something that didn't blend too well. And I don't add any donuts and pizza, haha.
  • TasteofEnvy
    Options
    I have eaten greek yogurt at least 4 times a week over the last year and a half, look at my ticker.....there is your answer.
    you are inspiration~ heck, everyone here is. Thank you so much for giving answers you guys!
  • TasteofEnvy
    Options
    Hey, guess what I'm eating right now? Boy, I sure hope this yogurt doesn't make me fat!
    LOL
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I look at the expiry date to tell
    oh, who am I kidding, if I open it and it has little grean puffs of mold, it's bad
    otherwise, I eating it
    :love:

I reporting you for bean hilarious
  • zephyr1975
    Options
    I would use fat free plain Greek yogurt. It is high in protein. I would also use fresh or NSA frozen fruit to add flavor.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options

I eat yogurt - fruit added non Greek variety - at least 4 times a week.

Amazingly I am within healthy weight range :smile:

EFS.