Why does MFP round on nutrients?

Options
I'm trying to keep track of my fiber, and unless I'm missing how to change it, MFP food log, rounds down on fiber, and maybe other nutrients.

For instance, I had some raw veggies today, in small portions, and granted, they are not huge on fiber, but MFP seems to indicate they have 0 fiber.

How do I fix this to make it more precise?

Replies

• sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    anyone?

bump*
  • kentyman
    kentyman Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm worried I might be seeing the same thing. I made a salad with 10 different vegetables. If each ingredient's portion has 2 carbs and 0.4 fiber, I'm afraid it shows up as 20 carb 0 fiber instead of 20 carb 4 fiber.
  • kentyman
    Options
    Yep, I confirmed the problem. See the attached pictures:

jq7jqlbny3ni.png
    nz1czkh8vpkw.png

When I'm below the threshold for them to round fiber to 1, they add all the 0s together for a total of 0. When I'm above the rounding threshold (just barely!), they add all the 1s together for a total of 3.

Ideally, the unrounded values would be used to calculate each field, and only before displaying would they be rounded to the nearest value. So if the values were 0.4+0.4+0.4=1.2 like in the first screenshot, it would display 0+0+0=1. And in the second, 0.5+0.5+0.5=1.5 would display 1+1+1=2. This might be confusing to people who don't understanding rounding, but at least the totals would be more accurate. I think any confusing could be mitigated with a small "Why don't these add up?" help link.

I feel this is very important for dishes with many ingredients in small portions, such as Salata. The fiber numbers, in particular, are important to those of us calculating Net Carbs instead of just focusing on Carbs.
    2.png 21.5K
    1.png 21.6K
  • kentyman
    Options
    I got the following response from MFP support:
    Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for bringing this to our attention. We are aware of the problem, and are currently working on a resolution. We hope to have a fix in place as soon as possible. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

Warm Regards,
    Jay
    MyFitnessPal Staff