How do I even start exercising?

Options
Hello all!

I've never really exercised much my entire life and, obviously, that has come around to bite me in the tush. At this point, I am approximately 292 lbs at 5' 5". I don't have access to a gym or a pool but I want to start exercising. I don't know what to do that isn't too harsh on my joints. I don't even own proper exercise shoes as I only wear my combat boots. My physical health is just... horrible. I get out of breath by climbing even half of one staircase or walking longer than a half mile.

Replies

• cantfail
    cantfail Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I personally love DDP Yoga. It is virtually zero impact and it can be easily modified depending on your limitations. Swimming is also really good if you are concerned about your joints.
  • puppybear1978
    Options
    Hiya - everyone has to start somewhere, the fact you want to start is a step in the right direction! I would definitely invest in a pair of trainers and get out walking - if you have a smart phone you could download an app called C25K - couch to 5k - takes you through a walking to running programme if running is something you fancy doing - there are also loads of exercise videos on you tube you can do without any equipment just using your own body weight - the main thing is to just get moving!!!

Good luck with you journey - feel free to add me x
  • puppybear1978
    Options
    if you do c25k walk/run on grass to take impact of your joints x
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Walking is generally low impact. I know you said you get tired, but start just a block at a time. Walk one block for a few days then add another and another. It will get easier.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    Baby steps. I would suggest you invest in a pair of running shoes and start walking . Even if its just 5 minutes a day to start . Do that for a week and then add another minute. Don't give up. I suggest walking becuase it is something everyone needs to do. You can swim and do yoga but everyone walks to get them somewhere and it doesnt take long to notice the difference in your breathing, Be kind to yourself. we all have to start somewhere . The most important thing is to find something you WILL do and start building up to it and stick with it
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Start by walking, and then slowly going for longer and longer walks until you can go for an hour or a few miles. It is low impact and can be done anywhere.

If you enjoy the walking, keep doing it, many people have lost a lot of weigh with walking being their only exercising (along with a good diet), but if you want to do more, after walking for a while start mixing in other exercises.

But walking is the best start, my first time out walking I could only go 15-20 minutes, now I can walk for a good hour without any issues and I've started biking and adding in jogging intervals.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I was at your weight at my heaviset I started out with a small walk around the block. I was mortified at how hard this was for me and embarresed that I could barely keep p with my 60 year old mother. So I went again the next day, after about a week I went a little further and a little further each day. I know walk at least 10kms/6 miles every day and weigh 210 pounds.

Start off just doing something and go from there, do it every day and you will improve. If I can do it goodness knows anyone can :flowerforyou:
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Get a pair of running/walking shoes and hit the road:) You may also find many workout DVDs at your local library. Test drive a few different workouts and see what you like. If you don't like doing it...chances are you won't.
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Baby steps. I would suggest you invest in a pair of running shoes and start walking . Even if its just 5 minutes a day to start . Do that for a week and then add another minute. Don't give up. I suggest walking becuase it is something everyone needs to do. You can swim and do yoga but everyone walks to get them somewhere and it doesnt take long to notice the difference in your breathing, Be kind to yourself. we all have to start somewhere . The most important thing is to find something you WILL do and start building up to it and stick with it

This- it's easy to do and you will build up endurance if you do it consistently. Good luck!
  • meganw2020
    meganw2020 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I agree with starting with walking, there are DVD's you can get where you do walking workouts in your own house and they usually incorporate some extra toning moves too. Or just walk outside, around the block or see if there are any trails near your house. Do invest in some sneakers though or your feet will be killing you! A journey of a 100 miles starts with one step, take it easy and be patient it will get easier!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Go for a walk.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Go for walks.

Look into bodyweight exercises. Good sources are You Are Your Own Gym, Nerdfitness.com, and Convict Conditioning.

There are also a lot of cardio type workouts on youtube and hulu. You could look into those too.
  • jstavix
    jstavix Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I do it at home and these two websites have been invaluable to me.

http://hasfit.com/

http://grokker.com/

Both of them are free, offer beginning and immediate videos and I love that you don't have to pay for them.

Good Luck :)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    why do you only wear combat boots?
  • newmom_2012
    newmom_2012 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Walking or swimming are a great place to start.

ETA: fitness blender has some great low-impact cardio videos. You can find them on their website, or YouTube.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    You first have to make the decision that you really want to. It's much easier after that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Go for walks.

Look into bodyweight exercises. Good sources are You Are Your Own Gym, Nerdfitness.com, and Convict Conditioning.

There are also a lot of cardio type workouts on youtube and hulu. You could look into those too.
    get a fitbit.

and some sneakers.
  • Nertak
    Nertak Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    If joints are an issue I would not recommend running as is hard on the joints. Walking is a good choice though. I don't know where you live but if there is a walking track near you then go there. If you can't make it a full mile without needing a rest then find bench to sit on, catch your breath and when your ready start back up.

If you join a gym Elliptical machines are easy on the joints, and personally I find them easier then even walking.
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    why do you only wear combat boots?

Only pair of shoes that I own that do not have holes
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    If joints are an issue I would not recommend running as is hard on the joints. Walking is a good choice though. I don't know where you live but if there is a walking track near you then go there. If you can't make it a full mile without needing a rest then find bench to sit on, catch your breath and when your ready start back up.

If you join a gym Elliptical machines are easy on the joints, and personally I find them easier then even walking.

There isn't but I live across from a park/recreation center