New Favorite!

Options
I just found my new favorite exercise! I love roller blading now! It has been so long since I rollarbladed, but my friend was telling me how many calorie you can burn (according to MFP over 500 in a 1/2 hour!). So, I decided to give it a try! I absolutely love it! :love: I went at night and it was just so exhilarating, I probably could have skated all night long and been completely happy! Everyone should so try it, if they can! It's amazing!:happy:

Replies

• Me_Im_2b
    Me_Im_2b Posts: 165
    Options
    I just found my new favorite exercise! I love roller blading now! It has been so long since I rollarbladed, but my friend was telling me how many calorie you can burn (according to MFP over 500 in a 1/2 hour!). So, I decided to give it a try! I absolutely love it! :love: I went at night and it was just so exhilarating, I probably could have skated all night long and been completely happy! Everyone should so try it, if they can! It's amazing!:happy:
  • BreaNix
    BreaNix Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    That sounds awsome.

Is it hard to learn?
  • Me_Im_2b
    Options
    No, it wasn't too hard... I use to do it when I was little though. You just need to make sure you have somewhat of a smooth surface while you're skating. Otherwise it can be a little miserable. :flowerforyou:
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    How fun! Such great exercise!

I used to skate for hours when I was younger!
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I love to rollerblade too, but I don't do it often because I don't know how to stop very well..lol
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    lol I tried that once...... fell after about 2 minutes and busted my knee into concrete. If you're oging to try it make sure you have asmooth surface and knee pads! lUCKILY i DIDN'T DO ANY MAJOR DAMAGE! :laugh: I'm a total klutz
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    What a coincidence... I went rollerblading for the first time in a long-time over the weekend also. I had forgotten just how fun it was.....exhilarating is definitely the right word! I'm so used to doing cardio at the gym, I forgot just how fun cardio can be. At the gym, resistance training is normally the "fun" part of exercising while running on the treadmill and doing the elliptical is the boring part. Not so when doing cardio outdoors! This was the best workout I've had in a long time.
  • Me_Im_2b
    Options
    What a coincidence... I went rollerblading for the first time in a long-time over the weekend also. I had forgotten just how fun it was.....exhilarating is definitely the right word! I'm so used to doing cardio at the gym, I forgot just how fun cardio can be. At the gym, resistance training is normally the "fun" part of exercising while running on the treadmill and doing the elliptical is the boring part. Not so when doing cardio outdoors! This was the best workout I've had in a long time.

I completely agree! I'm so excited to go again tonight! Hopefully it stops raining, cause if it doesn't, I guess I'm getting wet! There is NO WAY I'm missing skating today!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    LOL! Kerri! Sorry for laughing but you reminded me of something.

See, I was a rollerblade instructor for about 5 years when I was in college (YES, I was in college for 5 years, SHUT UP! I graduated. :embarassed: ). I did adult private lessons, and kids group lessons. The adult private lessons were HILARIOUS! Never saw so many people who just couldn't grasp it. Kids were great, you showed em something, didn't even have to explain the mechanics, just show them once, and 5 minutes later they were doing it perfectly. Adults, if you showed them they would just look at you funny. You had to explain the concept, let them grasp it, then walk them through it like 20 times.

the hilarity was this one lady that just couldn't get it. I showed her how to keep her skates locked together so she could stand still, but she never could get it (you basically just have to make a T with your skates) and one lesson I was explaining, and I looked down, looked back up and she did a nose dive (from standing still) and did a face plant right into the concrete. It looked horrible, but she got up and only had a scrape on her chin. To her credit she smiled weakly and continued on after I retreived a band aid for her.

I realize I shouldn't laugh at this, but nobody was hurt (besides a few scrapes) and it really was funny watching people who were "expert" skiers try to grasp rollerblading.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Once you find a exercise you love, losing weight is a breeze. :smile: (well....easier anyway) :drinker:

I cracked my tailbone last time I went blading so never again. :noway: I'm barely coordinated enough to walk across a room w/out falling on my *kitten*. :laugh:
  • Me_Im_2b
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sorry, those laughs were for Banks' story!
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Funny you mention that I picked up my blades not to long ago. I been wanting to ice skate again as well. Its been MANY years for that though..