Over 40, been at it for 3 weeks hard and no results. HELP

Options
2»

Replies

• Regan45
    Regan45 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I am 47. I started using MFP almost one year ago. It took me three weeks to lose one pound. I too was discouraged! The advice given to me at the time was, "keep on going". I did and that was 30 pounds ago! I met my goal weight in about 6 months. It is so worth it. Be very diligent about logging everything that you eat and you'll get there!
  • killerb1
    killerb1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I just went through this an lost 20 pounds but it took a while for my body to accept the change. It wanted to hang on for dear life to those carbs/calories. I work out the same rate as you it seems. The change I made was to eat 6x/day at 1,100 calories per day. Eating lean protein and low carb veges. I also began to weigh and measure my food. For example 4 oz of chicken was very different in my mind that what was actually on the scale. That was an eye opener. As the pounds began to finally shed after about 5 weeks I added back in another 100 calories to offset the amount I was burning at the gym. It seems to work for me and I'll be 42 this year.

We're all different, but that's what worked for me. Good luck and don't give up - 3 wks isn't that long considering how long it probably took for the original weight to creep up.
  • FireStorm1972
    FireStorm1972 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    42 here. Started February 2 this year at 265lbs, currently 195ish. For me its all about calories in vs. calories out. I religiously weigh my foods and keep a deficeit for 1.5-2.0 lbs loss a week. I run 5k a day...use to have to walk the 5k every odd day in the beginning. some strength training but not to much.
  • skiextrm
    skiextrm Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Cut ALL bread and dairy. Sub carbonated beverages for green tea. If you hate green tea..buy Dr. Brandt water boosters and put 2 droppers full into a beverage of your choice. Make sure you are drinking 8 glasses of water a day with lemon. That should do it. Even with minimal working out...diet is everything.
    [/quoted]

No offense, but I don't think this is necessary. I am 62 and have lost with very moderate exercise and counting calories in and out. It took a while to learn how my body worked and what worked for it, but I still eat carbs and dairy. Feel good and happy too! Keep it up and pay attention to your own body.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    OP, I hope you found whatever advice you needed/were looking for. It really would be useful to have more information. It's impossible to narrow down what may or may not be happening when posters refuse to return and engage people on their threads.

I guess this is another mystery we'll never know the answer.
  • CCSavage88
    CCSavage88 Posts: 191
    Options
    Cut ALL bread and dairy. Sub carbonated beverages for green tea. If you hate green tea..buy Dr. Brandt water boosters and put 2 droppers full into a beverage of your choice. Make sure you are drinking 8 glasses of water a day with lemon. That should do it. Even with minimal working out...diet is everything.

Your first post should have been better...that's ____ advice and for weight loss calories in vs. calories out it, no matter where they come from...Take that ridiculousness elsewhere.
  • Cbanjo
    Cbanjo Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Hi, same thing happened to me at the initial stage. In fact, l even put on 2kg during the first month, but now my weight is coming down and l have now lost 4kg within the last three weeks. It's amazing and unbelievable. So hang in there and continue to do what you are doing. I know that it can be frustrating, but the truth is we just have to keep at it.
  • xShreddx
    xShreddx Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Check out this link. It speaks to exactly what you are wanting to know:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/621558-gaining-weight-while-still-dieting-and-exercising
  • xShreddx
    xShreddx Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Read up on the woosh effect. Itll make you feel better. :)

Yep!
    Those fat loss bursts are known as the WHOOSH effect. “Even the toughest fat loss plateaus eventually experience a ‘WHOOSH’ effect where your body weight rapidly drops. This happens because of a strange biological twist of fate in your fat cells. “During a regular fat loss program, your fat cells, which normally do not store water, may take in water as the stored triglycerides are burned through diet and exercise.

“This gives the appearance of a fat loss plateau…which then can be broken, rapidly, through a couple of diet tricks. You then experience extreme rapid fat loss at once – thus known as the WHOOSH effect.”

So if you’re struggling, do NOT give up. You could be one WHOOSH away from rapid results.
  • DeeBerning
    DeeBerning Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I was losing weight for the first few weeks and then it just stopped. People, several people, looked at my diary and said I wasn't eating enough. Once I started making sure I got enough calories, the weight started dropping again. Make sure you net at least 1200-1400 calories!