newbie advice fot gaining muscle and getting tone

Options
Long story short I have lost 57 pounds and don't plan on losing any more. Now I would like to add some muscle. My son is 85 pounds and I can barely lift him but not for very long.

My current workout is walking 1 hr 7 days a week. And tail bo 2 to 3 days a week.
32 male
160 pounds.

I have never lifted weights or used any kind of exercise machine in my life. I do not belong to a gym. They are just too expensive.
Where do you recommend I start? Are there any programs, books, or videos? A few friends of mine claim I can do everything with just dumbells and a weight bench. I can borrow dumbells from friends.

Any links or help would be greatly appreciated.
This forum has been a valuable resource for me in getting back into shape.

Replies

• Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I am New to lifting weights...
    bodybuilding.com is a great resource, they have various workouts listed on there
    You can also google dumbbell exercises and there are a ton!

Decide what you want to work on first... ie. arms/abs/chest etc. and then you could take a workout from that website or just google 'dumbbell exercises for arms' etc.

Also, I hear that 'Starting strength' is a great book to begin with
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    starting strength / strong lifts is the best for beginners, but you would need a power rack, barbell / weights, and bench.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Couple body weight programs out there that I see get recommended often are

Convict Conditioning
    You Are Your Own Gym
    Nerd Fitness

If you can get dumbbells and a bench you might find this thread helpful

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/902569-barbell-routines-when-you-only-have-dumbbells
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Huge amount of stuff to do thats free. Ab work, push ups, pull ups etc. You just need to look up some of the links posted above and get to work. There is also a huge gym market that is $10/mo. now too. Good luck!
  • kharmacat
    kharmacat Posts: 13
    Options
    I've been doing DailyBurn.com - they've got a free 1-month membership, try it and see what you think. Different programs incorporate cardio with different muscle building and toning exercises, such as body weight, dumbbells, kettlebells, etc. I find being in a program keeps me motivated - I could never exercise as much as I have just trying to do my own thing. Good luck!
  • brentpaul33
    brentpaul33 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone. I will check out everything mentioned.