Is this the same in America

Options
gary241069
gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
I live in Britain and I find the worst place to buy Healthy Foods is in Tesco Supermarkets
The healthy food sections are tiny and practically non-existent, so if I want to eat healthy then I need too shop elsewhere!
Is this the same case where you live?:angry:

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I live in Britain and I find the worst place to buy Healthy Foods is in Tesco Supermarkets
    The healthy food sections are tiny and practically non-existent, so if I want to eat healthy then I need too shop elsewhere!
    Is this the same case where you live?:angry:

I can get healthy foods all over my supermarket: the deli, the produce section, the shelves, the meat counter, the dairy section, the frozen section, etc. I have a Natural Foods market close to my house and many of the foods there are just as processed and even more full of sugars and fats as the regular supermarket . . . all of that at double the price.

You probably should stick with Tesco and just read labels. You will find plenty of good, nutritious, healthy foods.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty "simply". The local grocers here have everything I need in the produce dept, meat counter, and dairy aisle. There's a "natural foods" section in one of my neighborhood supermarkets, but it's really lame. It's more like the place where they keep the "allergen-free" specific foods. Like that's where the shelf stable soy milk and organic rice and gluten free box mixes are. Although, I did find that's where they hide the raw honey (mmm, local and raw honey, reminds me of my childhood).
  • Debssssssssss
    Debssssssssss Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Do they not have a fruit and veggie section? Meat and poultry.. fish? Most "healthy" foods are not found in boxes on supermarket shelves.

I guess it all depends on what your definition of healthy is.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Do they not have a fruit and veggie section? Meat and poultry.. fish? Most "healthy" foods are not found in boxes on supermarket shelves.

QFT. And that is the correct answer. Now, I do like my pre-made pizzas and frozen dinners for "lazy" meals, too, so those who don't know me, please don't think I'm bashing those yummy things at all. But, for the bulk of our food intake, I've found it's just way easier to balance macros and calories and satiation by eating "whole" foods (i.e. produce, meat counter, egg & dairy, if applicable) most of the time.

Then you may find that, hey, I CAN eat some cookies or cakes or pizza, etc. once in a while. Some of us here are brilliant enough to work in ice cream every single night (I'm sadly not crafty enough for that, yet....)
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    It depends on the convenience store but often the health food sections have been expanding. It depends. As an Australian living in a city it is fairly easy to get what you need even if it takes a bus or a longer walk. Just knowing what you want to to get. Though many whine that it is harder than it actually is. Though that is just an excuse to buy fast food when it comes down to it.
    Easy if your mind is open.
    Hard if your mind is closed.
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    OK. You didn't really answer my question:happy:
    I do have other options. I'm not forced to shop in Tesco. Morrisons is better.
    I feel like an advertisement here :happy:
  • ransaka
    ransaka Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I find a lot of "health food" branded stuff usually isn't. I like to cook so I find it fairly easy to make healthy meals that have a good balance of carbs, protein and fat when I cook.
    My issue with tesco is it seems to end up expensive which is why I've swapped to getting meat at the local butchers, twice as good and half the price!
  • littlefoot612
    littlefoot612 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Not sure how the Tesco's or Morrison store is set up, but here in Canada the healthiest foods are found around the perimeter of the stores. The produce, meat and dairy sections usually surround the outer rim of the store leaving processed and packaged food in the interior aisles. I concur with what other have said, the healthiest foods are not necessarily those found in the "health food section". If you are trying to lose weight here, 'shop the perimeter' is the motto we follow.
  • Haytch11
    Haytch11 Posts: 3
    Options
    I live in england and i must say morrissons is realllly good for fresh fruit and veggies.. I tried for a while to buy all my stuff from hollands and barrots but my god its just ridiculous! be cheaper to by a new car then eat *special*/ organic whole foods and teas and shakes etc for a month..
    I do find that all the big supermarkets here do not have much of a health food section at all and yes if they do have an end of an eisle it is 3 times the price. Its like these big corporations want to keep people overweight and in turn depressed so they can sell us more crap we dont need...
    The only one i actually like that gets a bad rep is lidl ! Where as other stores have sweets/candy by the check out they are the only one i have seen have trail mix, dried fruits, juice drinks, boxes of raisins etc by the til which is at least something ..i guess
    If you find any good reasonably priced health food stores give me a shout lol
    America seems to have it all ...:D
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm from the uk, and I guess it depends on what you mean by 'healthy'. I shop at a small-ish tesco (it's the closest one to me) and they still have a big selection of fruits, vegetables and other fresh foods...

We definitely have less processed foods than the US (our laws are stricter on chemicals/ingredients etc) if you're talking about preprepared things in boxes/packages labelled 'healthy' (which often aren't in my opinion)...
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i live in los angeles where we have several whole foods markets, a sprouts, a few indie health food markets, and most stores carry a few healthy brands like amy's, and our local supermarket even has a vegetarian section. plus there are several really good weekly farmers markets. that being said, one of the healthiest foods i know of is plain oats (or oat bran), which you can buy anywhere - even convenience stores.