100 calorie angel food cake?

Options
Hey guys -

My parents picked up an angel food cake from the Safeway bakery (pre-made), and we were amazed to find that one serving (and it's a huge serving 1/8 of the big cake) was only 100 calories! Now we're all hooked on it, but unfortunately they don't have it all the time. We looked at some angel food cake mixes in boxes, but they all have considerably more calories for a smaller serving.

Anyone know of the lowest-calories angel food cake recipe, or what boxed brand (if any) has less calories? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• zaiikaa
    zaiikaa Posts: 112
    Options
    Hey guys -

My parents picked up an angel food cake from the Safeway bakery (pre-made), and we were amazed to find that one serving (and it's a huge serving 1/8 of the big cake) was only 100 calories! Now we're all hooked on it, but unfortunately they don't have it all the time. We looked at some angel food cake mixes in boxes, but they all have considerably more calories for a smaller serving.

Anyone know of the lowest-calories angel food cake recipe, or what boxed brand (if any) has less calories? :flowerforyou:
  • ranibauer
    ranibauer Posts: 73
    Options
    I just got some from Albertsons in the bakery section that where pre portioned for 150 calories. They looked kind of like big angel food muffins but I thought it was a good portion size.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Calorie wise and fat wise, angel food cake is VERY good as a treat. I usually puree some strawberries and add some sweetener to it, it's a great desert. BUT, their is a lot of sugar in it, so don't go crazy.
  • zaiikaa
    Options
    I just got some from Albertsons in the bakery section that where pre portioned for 150 calories. They looked kind of like big angel food muffins but I thought it was a good portion size.

That sounds awesome.. angel food muffin! Wish we had Albertsons :(
  • KrisKabob
    KrisKabob Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Angel food cake is a nice treat! I agree with banks, along with some fresh strawberries ( and I would add some FF cool whip) and you have such a yummy treat! Of course, all things should be in moderation! :bigsmile: So I only eat half the cake! Haha! j/k :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    i would say any mix. making it is a PAIN in the u know where, due to the fact that you practically have to make meringue and its a pain in the rear as I said, but try any mix. most are low to no fat as well.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    oh guess what?! Walmart has a sugar free angel food cake that is 60 calories for 1/6 of the whole cake and it even comes in strawberry :)
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Just don't make the mistake I did with that Wal-Mart cake. The sweetener in it causes GI upset if eaten in excess....yah, this smart one here decided to binge and eat the WHOLE cake...I mean hey, it was sugar and fat-free! NOT a good idea :sick: Let's just say I didn't leave the house for the rest of the day. Stick to one piece!
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    That's great about the Walmart version....and I'll take your advise and stick to one piece, if Safeway is out, which for the next few months should be rare...Sobeys should have it!
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    lol yeah, u gotta watch the sweetener
  • zaiikaa
    Options
    THE WHOLE CAKE? Damn! LOL
  • watch48win
    watch48win Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I make this from scratch quite often. very yummy and helps with the sweet tooth! toss on some strawberries and some fat free whipped cream, and you have an great dessert!