One motivation please

Options
Alright, so, hi.

I've been contemplating making a topic for a couple days now, but I really need to vent I guess... or talk to someone, or something.
I'll try to make it short.

Basically, last 2-3 or so weeks I've been in kind of a rut, regarding food and exercise etc. I'm not sure what happened, but I started going over my calorie limit, my scale's been acting wonky, my measurements stopped dead, and I haven't been exercising nearly as much as I'd like to.
Mind you, it's not a whole lot that I'm screwing myself up with. I'm still in a deficit 80% of my days. I've still lost around 2lbs. It's just that I feel like I'm not in control. And I hate that feeling.

I've been planning on drinking a lot more water (since I haven't even been doing that) and reducing my sodium intake, reducing my carbs and upping my protein.. But I can't seem to do it. I wake up all positive, telling myself that I can do it, all that, but it's just not working...

How do I hold myself accountable? I feel like I'm lying to myself. =/

ETA: I've even taken "progress pictures" of myself, thinking, oh it's been over a month, I'll see some changes! But then I see no changes at all, so that just helped bring me down as well. lol

Replies

• KLangleydoula
    KLangleydoula Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Kim and my weight loss journey began two years ago. I was at my heaviest (225) and things were not good. I couldn't keep up with my kids, I was tired all the time, and my doctor told me that my cholesterol was on the rise! I decided something needed to change. I started walking, and eventually doing some weight training. I am down over 75 pounds! I feel so much better, and I love supporting and encouraging people to do the same. I would be happy to be an accountability partner with you. I still have some weight to lose, so we can work at it together! Getting your nutrition under control is a big key to losing weight. I can share what has worked for me if you are interested. If you work hard, I know you can reach your goal! So what do ya say? Are you in?
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    No one can tell you or teach you how to hold yourself accountable. That has to come from within. It certainly helps to have support from others telling you that you can do this. But you have to believe it for yourself.

For me it's about what I've wanted for a life time and the fact that I was able, and am still able to do it. It makes me feel strong and proud and I remind myself how I felt before I started this journey. I weigh out the two feelings and yes, it feels way better being strong, proud and accomplished than it did feeling heavy, tired and jealous of fit people. No one can take this away from me and I'll never look back.

Be happy but never satisfied. Hit one small realistic goal and then immediately set another one. Make sure you are setting goals and I mean actually write them down. Once it's down on paper, you own it. Make sure you goal(s) are real life goals that are challenging yet attainable. Remind yourself of your goals every day.
  • The_Godwin_72
    The_Godwin_72 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    it's a struggle everyone shares with you at one time or another- the key may be to love the journey. Love yourself and accept that it will not be fast. Set pop ups or alarms and stick to them. Baby steps- try not to scale, measure, picture too often.
    add me if you like.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Yes, you have to be accountable to yourself. It's the only person that matters in this equation.

If you are feeling out of control, then you need to retrain your brain to be in control of your eating. I did that over time by doing small things. I delayed eating something I really wanted for 5 minutes. Then I upped the time to 10 minutes. Sometimes it worked - sometimes I was weak and ate it anyway. The thing is, my brain started realizing that if I did decide not to eat something, it wasn't the end of the world. Now, I can say to myself - I can have more tomorrow, or next week.

It was a hard thing for me to learn, but the reward of being able to lose weight was awesome. Plus, when I say to myself - I'm not going to binge and then follow through - that, my friend, is priceless.

Best of luck. :flowerforyou:
  • BrittanyMG3
    BrittanyMG3 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I used to struggle with that feeling off and on for years..it's SO hard. Stay tough! It WILL pay off! This time, I didn't back down, held on and I've lost 66lbs since January and I am 79lbs under my heaviest weight! I NEVER thought I would get there!
    I was in a size 20 pants, hated how I looked, today I am in a size 9 (HUGE so probably 7's by now!) and 141lbs! I haven't been this small in 7 years.
    When I have days that I wonder why I started, days that seem impossible, like i am exhausted from losing so much weight.. I go into the bathroom, take pictures of myself then pull them up on the computer and compare them to my old pictures from before I lost my weight ..I seriously almost cry every time.. can't believe the difference.. Never wanting to be there again is enough to push me through the hard times. (( you can check out my album and see for yourself!!))
    You should look for some supportive friends on MFP, ones you can vent to! If you would like, you can always feel free to add me..as well as anyone else for that matter :smile:
    I've been there! Good luck and Stay strong!
    oh, I also find it easier to workout if after i finish I sit and listen to my favorite music, try to relax and stay happy..that way I don't focus on being tired or sore and I will want to do it again. Start of slowly! you will have longer term success if you take your time and develop good habits instead of just thrusting yourself into a workout program! :happy:
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Try to remember the journey. Not the destination. Sometimes things in life can happen and all of a sudden our weight loss and excersize take a hit.
    Is anything going on that is preoccupying your mind? That happens to me sometimes. I have had huge stuff go on lately. I am back to eating, logging food and working out. The scale is moving ever so slowly.
    I live by this quote:

When you are comfortable, confident and in control you eat wisely.
    When you eat wisely you are comfortable confident and in control.

I keep this on my fridge.
    Good luck!
    I have sent you a friend request.
    Cindy in MD
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Half the time that im going to the gym, im dragging myself there. Once im there, I am up and at it at full pace. Motivation can be a big issue sometimes. We all fall off and stray away from the successful habits when we are doing this, and it's okay. You just have to get back up and at it. There is no secret or mind trick to it for me, it's simply "just do it." (insert Nike logo here)

I tell myself: "You have to do this, you have to get this done, no excuses." You have to get in touch with yourself and know there is no way you will ever reach your goals if you let yourself get like this. Then once you see the results start coming it's always worth it and that's a great motivator to keep fuel in the tank.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    One thing that helps me is preplanning and pre logging. We all go through periods where we need a diet break or a break from the gym. Don't beat yourself up about it. Plan for them, don't be emotional about it.

Treat health and fitness like something that you just need to wake up and do. Make it just another step in the routine. Preplanning is great for doing this.
  • seehowyousoar
    seehowyousoar Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Wow - thanks you guys, I really needed that.

Kim - I am totally in! I think a weight loss buddy is probably something that I need... :)

About comparing myself now to before... I guess I'm a little better off than before, but not by that much... I'm still very overweight and I'm still very out of shape, and I still worry about taking up too much space in public transport haha! But I will keep this thought for when, not if, when I lose more weight :)

It just kills me that I'm still very obese, and I've never been fit or thin in my life... And I just really really want ot know what it's like, but it seems soooo far out of reach... I did make small goals for myself, I was supposed to be at 92kg today, instead I'm at 94...

But this really did help :) Thanks you guys again