New fat cells ?

Options
I heard this guy on YouTube talking about how dirty bulking or gaining a lot of weight in short period of time can make u create new fat cells that will stay with you forever even if u started your bulk from like 10 % bf and ended up in the healthy range? i know that fat cells don't melt or anything they just shrink in size and expand and new cells are created when someone goes above the healthy bf % range ?

Replies

• CrusaderSam
    CrusaderSam Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Yes this can happen (at what % I don't think anyone knows for sure) but as someone that used to be 300# I can tell you, this will in no way keep you from losing, I lost weight just fine with all the extra fat cells.

Also of note, unless you are an ifbb pro or top level npc (and making sure you are taking all your injectable vitamins) you are not bulking and cutting, you are just a guy in a gym who is on a yo-yo diet pretending to be making gainz. Bottom line is don't worry about it bro.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    As an adult that gets obese or very very overweight, one CAN increase their fat cells. It can go from 25-35 billion to 150 billion depending on the severity of the obesity level.

A normal person has between 25 and 35 billion fat cells, but this number can increase in times of excessive weight gain, to as many as 100 to 150 billion cells. The number of fat cells in the body remains constant after their formation; the cells just expand and shrink in size during weight gain and loss. This has been suggested as one reason weight loss is so hard to maintain for many people, and research is under way to determine methods or medications that will reduce the actual number of cells. Four critical periods have been identified during which time the number of fat cells a person has will increase: between 12 and 18 months of age; between 12 and 16 years of age, especially in females (in fact, the best single predictor of adult obesity is adolescent obesity); in adulthood when an individual gains in excess of 60% of their healthy weight, and during pregnancy (4).

http://www.wvdhhr.org/bph/oehp/obesity/section1.htm
    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • HungryasFuark
    HungryasFuark Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Yes this can happen (at what % I don't think anyone knows for sure) but as someone that used to be 300# I can tell you, this will in no way keep you from losing, I lost weight just fine with all the extra fat cells.

Also of note, unless you are an ifbb pro or top level npc (and making sure you are taking all your injectable vitamins) you are not bulking and cutting, you are just a guy in a gym who is on a yo-yo diet pretending to be making gainz. Bottom line is don't worry about it bro.

Lol'd at injectable vitamins , congrats man yeah i know it won't affect weight loss but new fat cells is just scary they look ugly when they expand imagine new expanding ones damn lol
  • HungryasFuark
    HungryasFuark Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    As an adult that gets obese or very very overweight, one CAN increase their fat cells. It can go from 25-35 billion to 150 billion depending on the severity of the obesity level.

A normal person has between 25 and 35 billion fat cells, but this number can increase in times of excessive weight gain, to as many as 100 to 150 billion cells. The number of fat cells in the body remains constant after their formation; the cells just expand and shrink in size during weight gain and loss. This has been suggested as one reason weight loss is so hard to maintain for many people, and research is under way to determine methods or medications that will reduce the actual number of cells. Four critical periods have been identified during which time the number of fat cells a person has will increase: between 12 and 18 months of age; between 12 and 16 years of age, especially in females (in fact, the best single predictor of adult obesity is adolescent obesity); in adulthood when an individual gains in excess of 60% of their healthy weight, and during pregnancy (4).

http://www.wvdhhr.org/bph/oehp/obesity/section1.htm
    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Thanks ! that's what i was looking for .so yes when someone exceeds the healthy bf % range not like that you tube guy was saying