Should I go 'INSANE' or just 'BRING IT'?

Options
I have heard so many mixed feeling on Insanity and P90X. I am wondering if anyone has done these two, or even just one, and your thoughts on them. Also, I am at about 235, are either of these two possible for me now, or do I need to lose more weight? Thanks in advance...

Replies

• lukasmac
    lukasmac Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    my advice is to lose more weight. both work out regiments do wonders for sculpting and toning. what you should focus now is cardio cardio cardio... when you've lost 75% of the weight you want to switch to Insanity/P90X.
  • themetra
    themetra Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I just tried a p90x workout the other day for the first time. It's 3 days later and I still hurt! lol. I think you should try it, and just do the best you can, and don't get frustrated if you can't do the whole video - I couldn't, and neither could my sister or brother in law! I totally think it's a great idea. JUST DO IT! :flowerforyou:
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I am doing the P90X program right now, and I recommend it. It kicks your butt though. I'm 5'4" and roughly 137 pounds. I felt like I was in fairly good shape on Day #1 (last Monday), but I started to do it to change my body composition, not necessarily to lose weight. However, I have heard that it does help many people lose weight. There is a "fit test" included with the P90X guide book that you get when you buy the DVDs, and they recommend that if you cannot complete the items in the fit test to the minimum standards, P90X might not be right for you right now. If you want to check out what is in the fit test, send me a message. I'd be happy to send it to you to try out.
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    i'm doin both. i've done a bit of both in the past. I've found that i really don't have a problem with doin insanity except 4 the power jumps.

as for p90x i've found that durin plyometrics i have 2 do a low impact version of them or i'll end up with shin splints :(

but i'mma do both at the same time. since insanity is only 2months long & insanity is 13wks long i'll b thru with 1 b4 i'm thru with the other.

also i'm abt 230lbs myself
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I use to be 230, I am now 156, I am doing Insanity, and I have to tell you it is NO JOKE, and certainly not for the light hearted. I suggest buying the INSANITY, try it if you want, but spending money on something like that is very motivating, keep the box somewhere where you can see it, that way it will remind you to keep working till you get to a place where you can do it, but just know it will always kick your butt even the people on the video who are in shape are getting there buts kicked and out of breath even Shaun T.
  • jaj06760
    jaj06760 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I did p90x to get ready for spring break two years ago. i had about 10-15 pounds to lose. After two weeks my body was changing and after one month i actually slowed down because i was losing weight really fast. I had great results. Now i mix cardio and p90x. I run five days a week and do a p90x work out the other 2 days of the week. Its great for your whole body! Hope that helped!
  • sheenabe
    sheenabe Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have never tried Insanity but I am currently doing P90X. I am 5'9" and my starting weight was 242lbs. I am not a small person, and it was/is hard, but absolutly give it a try. You do NOT need to be a certain weight before you try it out. Just be smart about it and know if you are doing to much. Tony Horton gives lots of examples to modify some moves and that gives me tons of room for improvement!! i am doing the lean version so I am increasing my cardio and losing inches like crazy. The weight seems to be coming off a little slower so I just stopped weighing myself. I say if you have the motivation to give one of these a try don't stop yourself go for it!!! I love it and I am already planning my second run at it, I am currently on day 53!!!
  • jules317
    Options
    Thank you everyone. Also, CraftyGirl4, thank you, I just googled the 'Fit Test' and I may, just for the hell of it, try it tonight at the high school weight room, as I have no pull up bar in my apartment.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    When I started I was 152 and my Beach Body coach advised me against it since I had about 30 lbs to lose. He advised me to start with Turbo Fire. It's no joke either but I wasn't physically ready Insanity or Power 90X. I'm 21 lbs down and still don't feel like I'm ready for either. The main advice I can give is fine something you love to do because that is the thing you are going to stick with doing. I love exercise DVD's so that works for me....some people love to run...that works for them. My understanding of both programs is you need to be kind of fit before you start them.
  • kuntrygurl
    Options
    I am doing P90X, but running too. I say BRING IT!
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    I use to be 230, I am now 156, I am doing Insanity, and I have to tell you it is NO JOKE, and certainly not for the light hearted. I suggest buying the INSANITY, try it if you want, but spending money on something like that is very motivating, keep the box somewhere where you can see it, that way it will remind you to keep working till you get to a place where you can do it, but just know it will always kick your butt even the people on the video who are in shape are getting there buts kicked and out of breath even Shaun T.

And that is why I LOVE Insanity!!

I so go for it! It's what I did and I have no regrets! I was 175lbs and so out of shape. I was doing a Jillian's Micheal workout program but in the 3rd day I had a breakdown and just felt disgusted with myself. I was going to get in shape before I purchased Insanity and than I was like, "Screw It, I need something that really give me fast results and truly transform me" and it has!! =) I was also thinking "Go Hard or Go Home" hahahahahaha You don't have to go as fast as they do in the video, he tells you to do what you need to do to shape your body! You can also modify some of the moves if you can't do it or just jog/sprint in place.

I also didn't follow the food plan and still got good results
    I love Shaun t also. He is a great fitness instructor. I want to meet him one day and thank him =)
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    i'm doin both. i've done a bit of both in the past. I've found that i really don't have a problem with doin insanity except 4 the power jumps.

as for p90x i've found that durin plyometrics i have 2 do a low impact version of them or i'll end up with shin splints :(

but i'mma do both at the same time. since insanity is only 2months long & insanity is 13wks long i'll b thru with 1 b4 i'm thru with the other.

if your saying you dont have a problem doing insanity then your doing it wrong i wake up everyday miserable

correction: also happy ive lost 10 pound in 2 weeks with it i think i lost 5 last week and this week is even harder haha so yah i hope :)
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I did insanity for about a week. The problem is that under to get a good workout unlesgets you push yourself. I get more from running.
  • jules317
    Options

if your saying you dont have a problem doing insanity then your doing it wrong i wake up everyday miserable

correction: also happy ive lost 10 pound in 2 weeks with it i think i lost 5 last week and this week is even harder haha so yah i hope :)

So, you are roughly losing 5 pounds a week? Then, I think I need to go 'INSANE'! XD Congrats!
  • jules317
    Options
    I did insanity for about a week. The problem is that under to get a good workout unlesgets you push yourself. I get more from running.

I :heart: running, but my knees don't. :angry:
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I started P90X in February at around 240 lbs, 5.7 height. The strength that I built up with P90X helped me get through some of the level drills in Insanity. Insanity is 90% cardio and is brutal. I lost 24 lbs during my first round of P90x and only lost 3 pounds during Insanity. The exercises in P90X will better prepare you for Insanity. However, if you don't feel that you are ready for P90X then I would suggest that you start with Power 90. That is the precursor to P90X.
  • turbojanem
    Options
    as a Beachbody coach i will say that both are VERY intense programs. you CAN do them where you are, but be very careful and start out light. do low number of reps and use very low weights. and be careful in all the moves....start out slow and cautious. it can be done. my recommendation, start out with another DVD workout. there are TONS available that work. i have lost about 20 pounds with Turbo Jam. there's also Slim in 6 that is great too.

cardio is a great calorie burner. and needed. you also need to keep up on your toning...toning builds muscle, which keeps your metabolism going. and your muscles toned while you drop your pounds. if you do nothing but cardio, you don't have balance. it will also take longer to rebuild the muscle if you wait. start now...just like they do on Biggest Loser....both cardio and resistant training. you don't have to do a TON of both, but you do need both. AND you need to lift to counterbalance bone lose. yes, even at 20. it doesn't take a bunch of weight, but you do need some toning programs too.

let me know if you need more help picking out a program.
    cheering you on to your goal.
    Jane
  • HazelDiva1913
    HazelDiva1913 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have so many friends that do p90...im kinda scared...ive heard the horror stories.
  • rckola911
    rckola911 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    do p90x now dont dealy. im currenty doing it and i can tell u its tuff but trying to wait around and lose weight before u try either prog is a mistake. do 90 and take lots of breaks soon you will be awesome at it. then when u want your *kitten* kicked go for T shaun. I cant hang with insanity its to tuff for now.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

So, you are roughly losing 5 pounds a week? Then, I think I need to go 'INSANE'! XD Congrats!

80% diet, 20% exercise. You can't assume that it is all the exercise program which is promoting the weight loss (although it obviously helps in creating Calorific deficits)

I have done a round of P90x and I felt that I was getting better conditioning and better muscular endurance but not so much increased strength.