My HRM doesn't calculate calories burned

Options
... any idea how I can get a rough idea of my calories burned? I watched the HRM the whole time and have a good idea of my HR range, and where it sat most of the time...

I know you wanna say to get a different HRM, but this is one my hubby already had, otherwise i wouldn't have any at all... i'm going to put one on my christmas wish list though :D

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,045 Member
    Options
    there are many calculators online. Try calorielab.com
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    thanks, but i'm not looking for a typical calorie calculator - MFP has that already. I'm looking to find something that will allow me to input my HR while I was working out to get a more accurate calculation of my calories burned.
  • cmriverside
    Options
    I typed "Heart rate calories burned" into my browser bar and got 1,090,000 results.

Here is #1
    caloriecount.about.com/heart-rate-calories-burned-ft75106
  • briteyes
    Options
    i've been searching and and have also got tons of results, yet haven't found what i'm looking for. i'll take a look at what you found. thanks :)
  • cmriverside
    Options
    www.triathlontrainingblog.com/post/calories-burned-calculator-based-on-average-heart-rate

www.ehow.com/how_5594817_calculate-burned-based-heart-rate.html

www.livestrong.com/article/73315-calculate-calories-burned-based-heart

alth.discovery.com/centers/cholesterol/activity/activity.html

These look promising. It's not an exact science! Take the numbers from several sites and use an average. No one can tell you the exact number, even with a heart rate monitor that DOES give calorie burns, the numbers are based on averages of others similar to you. That is all any of us have.
  • briteyes
    Options
    thanks, I'm not looking for exact science, just an estimate :) i will let my hubby know i need a different HRM :D

the site you gave me above, i was there, too. it wants to know my VO2max and i don't know what that is!!! so it won't be accurate w/ out that figure. i'll check out these links :)
  • cmriverside
    Options
    :wink: Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • briteyes
    Options
    thanks

k, so MFP says I burned 277 cals, and two calculators say i burned 338 and 538.... maybe i'll do an avg of all 3 to come out to:

384 cals burned. i know it's not gonna be accurate, but i was at my max HR for most of the 30 mins... at some points i was well over 100% max for a few minutes straight! so i know i have some calories burned there...
  • cmriverside
    Options
    That's what I did for the first 40 lbs of my weight loss. I think it's more important to reign in the eating than worry about 100-200 calories one way or the other.
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I use

http://www.triathlontrainingblog.com/calculators/calories-burned-calculator-based-on-average-heart-rate/

I don't know my VO2 max either, I just use 35 like the site suggests.