I am here to GAIN weight

Options
Hello MFP! My wife introduced you to me with her iphone app. I love the food-logging and automatic calorie-counting! I am actually using MFP to help me GAIN weight. I am 27 years old, 6'0, and usually weigh between 140 and 150lbs. I've always been a skinny, scrawny fellow with insane metabolism, and gaining weight has never been easy.

My wife and I recently joined a gym and I've been doing weight-training for muscle mass. Along with this, I am trying to eat enough to bulk up a bit. My goal is to be around 170lbs.

So far, it has been a real struggle to eat as much as personal trainers and weight-gain calculators are telling me. I honestly don't know if it is just as hard for me to gain weight as it is for some people to lose weight... I just know this is hard! I simply don't get hungry very often. I eat small amounts and get full. I am trying to force my body into getting used to eating more - more frequently, and more portions.

My main goal is to find foods that have a lot of carbs, a lot of protein, and even a lot of calories, but not a lot of sugars and ridiculous amounts of fat. So far I haven't found much that fits those requirements!

My best to everyone here!
-Justin

Replies

• lukasmac
    lukasmac Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    loads of chicken, pasta, turkey, rice... enjoy :)
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Hey now if you'd like some weight I have NO PROBLEM giving you 20-30 lbs of mine! :)

Welcome and enjoy the site, I hope you find everyone friendly and very helpful it's a great community and a very useful resource!
  • jaj06760
    jaj06760 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    You could drink some meal replacement shakes or bars as snacks. Slim fast has a lot of sugar but maybe try ensure, which is slightly better for you.
  • josh6603
    Options
    Look into getting a weight gainer. 600+ calories in a single shake for a lot of them. Very high in protein. BSN and Cytosport make some of the better tasting shakes that i have tried. But there are many out there.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    nuts and trail mix are good option. I know nuts have fats but they are good for you fat ,how about jamba juice smoothies they have alot of calories and it is easier to drink the calories but they are good for you, maybe beef jerky it is easier to eat alot because it is dried. good luck. Yes it probably is just as hard for you to gain as it is for us to lose. Hang in there you can do it
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    hey! Welcome!

I know it can be just as hard to gain weight as it is to lose, if not harder!

I would bulk up on healthy fats, like salmon (or any oily fish) and avocado and nuts!! Mmmmmm!! Lots of calories in those :bigsmile:

Also, yes, pasta and rice :)

Good luck
  • msbutterflyjess
    Options
    omg...you sound like my boyfriend. he is 5'11 and weighs 131. he tries so hard to gain as much as i try to lose and he has the same problem. the only advice we could find was that he needs to eat like a horse and he just cant. anytime he tries to eat more than what his body tells him to he feels sick and starts having stomach issues.
  • jdubs1201
    Options
    Oh wow, thanks for all the replies!! You all weren't kidding about a "helpful and friendly community"!

@lukasmac... "loads" of anything is pretty tough so far, but I'll thanks for that list (fortunately I love all that stuff!)

@jsecret... I get that a lot! Believe me, if I could, I would!

@jaj06760 & josh6603... I've been thinking about that - meal replacement bars, shakes, weight-gainer. I just want to make sure they're healthy. I've been drinking Muscle Milk shakes for protein, and a buddy of mine works at a Vitamin Shop so I should pick his brain on which ones are good. I'll check out ensure, BSN, and Cytosport... thanks!

@themommie... Yep, yesterday I ate a LOT of nuts (over 1000 calories-worth!!) I like these Bolthouse smoothies but they don't have a whole lot of calories in them... I'll check out the Jamba Juice ones. And I'll definitely have to check out beef jerky... used to love munching on that stuff!

@AnnaPixie... I've heard others talk about the oily fish, or just simply fish oil if you don't like fish (which I don't). Do you know if fish oil is on par (and could be a replacement) for oily fish... or is it just one more supplement?

@msbutterflyjess... lol yep, your boyfriend sounds a LOT like me!!! I've been trying to snack throughout the day, in between the 3 main meals, and it's helping a little. It was probably the hardest to start doing that and stay consistent with it. Good luck to him... tell him he's not alone!

Thanks again everyone!! =)
    -Justin
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Welcome,

Check out my diary up until last Friday for tips on foods for gaining good weight. I was bulking up until then. I am currently 170lbs and this was working for me (don't have fast metabolism) so around that would be good for you also. BW x 20 is a good goal for total cals so 3000 for you.

Here is some nutritional advice from a very smart guy on here. It was for 130lb female but the process applies.

Also, re weight training. What program are you using? If you are a beginner, I recommend rippetoes starting strength or stronglifts 5x5 if you want more volume.

Either way, stick to the compound lifts (squat, deadlift, bench standing overhead press, rows)

Nuts are good for calories in but some studies I have read have found that the majority of them is "processed" through the system. Unsalted is best also.

Try and fit in more than 3 meals. If you can't because of work, that is when a shake or nuts or something like that will work. Stick to whole foods unprocessed foods where possible.
    What are the fundamentals? Well to name a few....

1. Set calories according to your goal. A deficit for weight loss, equal for maintenance, and a surplus for weight gain

2. Set protein at approximately 1 gram per pound of goal body weight. There are 4 calories in each gram of protein.

3. Set fat at approximately 30% of total calories. There are 9 calories for each gram of fat.

4. Eat 4-6 servings of fibrous veggies per day. Calorie content of veggies varies depending on the type... but a ballpark might be 20-40 per serving.

5. Eat 2-4 servings of fruit per day. Like veggies, calorie content varies here. A ballpark might be 60 or so.

I don't use MFP for anything but the community and helping people. I'm not sure how all their calculators work. I can tell you this though... I'm not a fan of estimating calorie expenditure. It's something I've never done with my clients or myself. I take a much simpler route.

I pick a reasonable estimate of calorie maintenance assuming sane amounts of exercise. What's a sane amount of exercise? About an hour per day of moderate to above moderate activity. Weight lifting, cardio, etc. Maintenance works out to be roughly 14-16 calories per pound.

If you're very lean or very overweight... or if you feel you have a bit of a sluggish metabolism... you might need to adjust this starting point. In your case though, I'd go with 15 given your level of activity. Remember, this isn't a contract you're signing here so there's no need to make a big deal about it.

130 x 15 = 1950

From there, it's a matter of creating your deficit. I generally like a deficit of 30% or so. This would put you at about 1400 calories or so. If you were my client, that'd be your initial daily calorie target.

Then it'd be a matter of filling in those calories with the "right mixture" of nutrients.

On the protein front, 1 gram per pound of goal body weight would put you at 120 grams. 120 grams of protein equates to 480 calories, leaving you with 920 left to "fill."

Good sources of protein include chicken and turkey breast, fish, lean ground beef, lean cuts of steak, pork tenderloin, nuts, eggs, milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, protein powders, etc.

On the fat front, 30% of total calories comes to 420. Since there are 9 calories in each gram of fat, this would equate to 47 or so grams of fat. You'd be left with 500 calories left to fill.

Good sources of fat include fish oils, flax, fish, olive oil, avocados, nuts, natural peanut butter, etc

If we go with our ballparked numbers for veggies and fruits, we'd have 130ish calories coming from veggies and 180ish coming from fruit. We'd be left with 190 calories left to fill.

This final allotment is your freebie. Fill it with whatever you'd like.

Just remember this is a process. You don't get to sign a contract and expect things to work indefinitely. The process should look *something* like this:

1. Estimate total energy expenditure. (this is where I start with the 14-16 cals per pound)

2. Set your caloric intake at a level above or below the above estimation depending on whether you want to gain or lose weight, respectively.

3. Track your measurements, weight, body fat, pictures, etc every 2-4 weeks.

4. Based on the trend you’re seeing with your tracking, adjust your intake accordingly.

5. Rinse and repeat steps 2-4 until you a) reach your goal or b) your goals change.
  • jdubs1201
    Options
    @chrisdavey... wow, thanks for all that info! I really appreciate you taking the time to put all that. I will check out your food diary to get some ideas.

I'm shooting for around 3300 calories per day (a little more than BW x 20).

For weight training, I'm currently doing the following:
    Monday: chest (flat bench, incline bench, decline bench, pec fly)
    Tuesday: triceps (hammer press, overhead tri press, other tri presses - don't know their names!)
    Wednesday: back (deadlifts, different lat pulls)
    Thursday: biceps (curls, individual curls, pull ups)
    Friday: shoulders (shoulder press, shrugs, few others I don't know the names of, like raising your arms straight in front of you and to the sides)

I also throw in ab and leg exercises throughout the week. For legs it's usually leg presses, but I'm learning squats.

A friend of mine who used to be a personal trainer has me doing 10,8,6 sets, where I add a bit of weight each time so at first I can only do 10, then only 8, then only 6. I've been doing that for a week or so.

Again, thanks so much for all the info on foods, calories, etc! Fruits and veggies are the difficult ones for me - primarily cause I don't keep them around a lot. I'll buy a bunch at the grocery store, then eat them all before they go bad, but then don't go back to the grocery store for another week or 2 cause I'm not out of anything else! Guess I'll need to make special trips for them.

Thanks again man!
    -Justin
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Just a quick word on fish oil... Its one of the few supplements that has been proven to have a measureable positive effect in peer-reviewed studies. Most brands are comparable, but you might take the time to buy one that says "no fish burps" on the label...for obvious reasons. Mercury contamination can be a concern, but most brands all distill for this and advertise "mercury free", etc on the label. For general cardiac and brain health, 1000 -2000 mgs a day is sufficient, but if you are overly stressed or battling depression, 4000 mgs a day is advisable, as it actually makes a huge difference on the management and processing of cortisol. Good luck!

oh, btw, I'm a psychologist, in case you were wondering how I got my facts, etc. Just part of my job.
  • jdubs1201
    Options
    Hi chelsifina! Thank you for the info on fish oil! I'll be sure to keep that in mind when I buy some =)
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Check out my food entry for Dec 1, 2010. That will be my basic diet when I start bulking next month.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    The current training you are doing is called pyramid sets. It is more of an advanced method IMO.

The weekly routine you are using is more of an advanced bodybuilding routine. I would definitely recommend doing one of the beginner programs that focus on the compound lifts 3 times a week. A full body workout is what you need.

You DEFINITELY do not need to dedicate a whole training session to biceps! They are such a small muscle.

As I do mma as well, I pretty much have to fit my weight training into 2 sessions a week and I do.

A
    squats
    deadlifts
    3-4 assistance exercises, 5-8 reps and 3-4sets
    (front squat, good morning, stiff leg deadlifts, pullups)

B
    Bench press
    standing overhead press
    (dips, speed bench, rack presses, push presses)

That is my workout because I can't fit in 3 days a week and adequate recovery.

You should not do two days in a row of weight training. You grow when you rest. You stress your muscles in the gym and then required adequate nutrition and rest to grow.
  • jdubs1201
    Options
    The current training you are doing is called pyramid sets. It is more of an advanced method IMO.

The weekly routine you are using is more of an advanced bodybuilding routine. I would definitely recommend doing one of the beginner programs that focus on the compound lifts 3 times a week. A full body workout is what you need.

You DEFINITELY do not need to dedicate a whole training session to biceps! They are such a small muscle.

As I do mma as well, I pretty much have to fit my weight training into 2 sessions a week and I do.

A
    squats
    deadlifts
    (front squat, good morning, stiff leg deadlifts, pullups)

B
    Bench press
    standing overhead press
    (dips, speed bench, rack presses, push presses)

That is my workout because I can't fit in 3 days a week and adequate recovery.

You should not do two days in a row of weight training. You grow when you rest. You stress your muscles in the gym and then required adequate nutrition and rest to grow.

Hey Chris!
    Thanks for the advice/info. I've been looking into Rippetoe's Starting Strength and will probably get started on it this week or next. I'm almost bummed - I was proud of myself for 5 days in a row at the gym, but what I'm reading is that's not good =/

How long would you recommend being on a beginner program until I can start a more advanced or focused weight training method? A few months? Years?

That's awesome that you're into MMA... should I be looking out for you on TUF??

Thanks again man!
    -Justin
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    haha, no where near TUF level! I just do it for fitness/fun and I do jui-jitsu comps. Not too keen on getting elbowed in the face :P

Don't worry about your current training. You're just getting into it and if it is only a week, that really doesn't matter! Some people slave away in the gym doing terrible routines for years with little progress.

Here is a link to an article by Rippetoe talking about his program and when it is suitable. http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/most_lifters_are_still_beginners

A gym guy I know and respect basically says that you are a beginner until you can bench 100kg, squat 140kg and deadlift 180kg. Stick with beginner programs until then :)

I've been weight training for nearly a year now and I am at bench 100kg, squat 115kg and deadlift 150kg. If I only did weights and not mma as well these would be higher but I'm not a powerlifter, just an all rounder :)

Nutrition rules:
    Eat whole unprocessed food, protein source every 3 hours, plenty of lean meats, vegies or salad at every meal, supplements to a minimum, lift like you mean it

lift like an ox
    eat like a horse
    sleep like a log

Good discussion re the above training program is here
    http://ausbb.com/strength-training-power-lifting/9460-beginners-program.html
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Good topic, some good info on here, although I'm not all that big on 30% fat, I'm more of a 25% guy myself.

But I've been on the weight gain side for about a year now and overall have put on about 17 lbs of weight, probably 14 of that has been in muscle mass I believe, but it's tough to know exact numbers.

jdubs, one piece of advice I can offer you is this: Gaining weight is just as hard, if not harder than losing weight, I know, before I started trying to gain back I had to lose close to 60 lbs. Take it slow, expect 1 to 3 lbs a month maximum, if you try for more, you'll end up gaining fat (either that or you're working out for way longer than I can per day). It'll come, but it won't come quick, and that's probably for the best as it gives you time to adjust to the changes (less injuries, more coordination...etc.). If you prepare yourself for the long haul, you'll do fine, and you'll see the results you're looking for.
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine has this problem too, and she has found that drinking ensure like 2 to 3 times a day (once she got used to taste) along with her regular meals has helped some.
  • jdubs1201
    Options
    Thanks for the additional input LilynEdensmom and SHBoss1673! I need to keep better track of my weight now, but I know I've put on a few pounds already (which is a big smiley face for me!)

The diet thing is what's really going to be a challenge for me (as I'm sure it is for everyone, no matter what their needs!) I'm starting to get my body used to eating more, but then I'll have days like yesterday where I'm just not hungry (grr!!)

However, I did hit up the local Vitamin Shop and grabbed a tub of Cytogainer which should help nicely! =) Every serving is 580 calories, 79g of carbs and 54g of proteins. Mix that with 16oz of 2% milk and I've got 840 calories, over 100g of carbs, and 70g of proteins... hooray!! Plus my good friend who works there, who is studying to be a nutritionist, said he's going to help me put together a good meal plan with real foods. He's trying to put me on about 4500 calories per day. Good grief!

And today I decided to start Rippetoe's guide. Did squats (for the first time ever, and from what I understand I'm gonna hate life tomorrow!), bench presses, dead lifts, and some back extensions. And Chris, if I'm gonna be on this till I bench press 100kg, I'm gonna be at this for a lonnnnng time!! My 3x5 sets were at about 41kg! =P But whatever, you gotta start somewhere!

Thanks again =)
    -Justin
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Going to start a weight gaining group in Dec if anyone is interested.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/134856-weight-gainers