Lower alcohol tolerance and exercising when hung over

Options
rosebette
rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
So, here is my discovery -- my alcohol tolerance is much lower than it used to be. I was never a big drinker -- 2 mixed drinks would do me in -- but I could drink 2 beers or 2 glasses of wine without a problem. Last night, I had two microbrews we had bought in NH with a typical homemade dinner for me -- 4oz lean pork tenderloin, 1/2 cup rice, broccoli. I had such a headache, and my gut was killing me. I didn't throw, but I did use the potty quite a few times. When I usually have 2 beers it is in a bar/pub food setting, where I'm eating more calories -- maybe a burger, pizza, fattier stuff -- but I guess I can't have 2 beers and eat a leaner meal without feeling it. Second question -- should I work out today? I feel like crap, but I hear of people, guys especially, who believe in working out after a bad night to "detox."

Replies

• jec285
    jec285 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Must be nice to get tipsy off two beers...

Anyway, I think you underestimated the alcohol content of those microbrews, most are up closer to 9-12% alc. by volume, whereas a typical beer runs about 5-6%, so you essentially had 3 or 4 beers worth of alcohol.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    alcohol tolerance has lowered for me as well. as you get smaller, you have less blood in your body, so the ratio of blood to alcohol would increase compared to before losing weight

people say to work out after a night of drinking because exercise seems to help reduce the symptoms of being hungover, whether its from "sweating" out the alcohol from your body or not is beyond me. though it should be said, i dont believe heavy lifting on a hangover day is the best of ideas because alcohol doesnt do great things for your muscles, imo it'd be better to wait a day or two for lifting, but as for cardio go all out if you want
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I packed in the booze pretty much but a swim used to clear my head from a hangover. It won't "detox" you as such the liver processes in its own time - beware of dehydration, decreased sodium levels and electrolytes though.
  • LC458
    LC458 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    alcohol tolerance has lowered for me as well. as you get smaller, you have less blood in your body, so the ratio of blood to alcohol would increase compared to before losing weight

people say to work out after a night of drinking because exercise seems to help reduce the symptoms of being hungover, whether its from "sweating" out the alcohol from your body or not is beyond me. though it should be said, i dont believe heavy lifting on a hangover day is the best of ideas because alcohol doesnt do great things for your muscles, imo it'd be better to wait a day or two for lifting, but as for cardio go all out if you want
    ^^yep!! Run, sweat it out!! I feel so much better if I drink too much the night before and run off the hangover feeling. It takes a lot of motivation but I really do feel better afterwards.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Gah, just the thought of exercising with a hangover makes me want to spew.

Tomatoes -- tomato juice, salsa, pizza, cherry tomatoes -- along with a promise never to do it again are my best way of dealing with a hangover.
  • rosebette
    Options
    Must be nice to get tipsy off two beers...

Anyway, I think you underestimated the alcohol content of those microbrews, most are up closer to 9-12% alc. by volume, whereas a typical beer runs about 5-6%, so you essentially had 3 or 4 beers worth of alcohol.

Yeah, I looked at the bottles this morning -- 7.9% each. The being tipsy was OK, but the headache and nausea were definitely not worth it. I guess I'll do my kickboxing class today and make sure to drink plenty of water. I did my strength training yesterday, fortunately. I was thinking of doing yoga, but that was at 8:00 AM and I missed the boat on that one.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I only drink when attending a concert which I did last night. Plan is to walk only and lots and lots of water. The idea of going to the gym, can't see it happening. 3 beers did me in. Will hit it hard tomorrow!
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Depends on your workout I guess. If you feel you need the rest, then rest. If you feel you can make it through, then work out.

I've done deadlifts hung over before. It was a challenge, but I actually hit some PR's. heh.
  • mr_mitch
    mr_mitch Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    IF you're able even consider a run / work out the morning after a night out drinking.... Then your night out was woefully inadequate in my opinion! :p
  • Amy4President
    Amy4President Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Drink a shotglass full of pickle juice and 4 cups of water. It helps your body absorb the water and prevent a hangover. It sounds stupid but it works for me every time. You can do it before you go to bed after drinking, or the morning after :)
  • rosebette
    Options
    I did a kickboxing class and felt a lot better. I've been drinking a lot of water, too. I've also been eating things with vitamin C --- clementines, strawberries, tomatoes.

Yeah, I agree with the other posters -- I'm a "piker" when it comes to alcohol. My husband says I'm a cheap drunk because it doesn't take much to do me in.