Logging a binge

Options
I very rarely post messages, but today I'm going to give it a shot. I've used MFP successfully before but always seem to get frustrated and quit. I hate logging and counting, but I also know that this is realistically the only way that I will lose weight. I'm trying to change my mindset and just realize that I may have to do this for the rest of my life in order to lose and/or maintain. I can't be a "normal eater." I'm at the heaviest I've ever been and so I have to do something.

Anyway, to get to the point, last night I had a binge episode, which happens from time to time and is usually the reason I quit logging. Well, this morning I decided to log everything in hopes that it would be a wake up call to think before I binge. This is probably the first time I've ever logged a binge and I'd love to hear from others who have experience with bingeing, and if logging has helped you control it.

Replies

• Andiebeanluvsu
    Andiebeanluvsu Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Habit change is the only thing that stopped me from bingeing. However, tracking with MFP is what helped create the habit change. When I started out, I made a promise to myself that I would weigh, measure, and log everything (even if I had gone over by 1000 calories, which I did on some days). I used the food notes section to write down what I was feeling on the nights I went over my calories. It really helped me to be honest with myself. I couldn't hide from it anymore. I made my diary public, so everything was out there for the world to see. I started recognizing a pattern to my binges, and was able to anticipate it and redirect myself. Over time, it just became easier to ignore those urges.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I very rarely binge anymore but when I do, I log every bite. I did binge a couple of days ago and I logged every last bite (2000 calories over my calorie goal!) I wasn't too happy about it but I just moved on.
    I found that logging even the binges really have helped in reducing the binges by a great amount!
    I'm not quite sure why but I suspect it's because I can see my binge in all its awful glory and I don't like it one bit.
    Another thing that's helped me reduce my binges considerably is eating enough to satisfy me and always giving myself treats (mostly chocolate).
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Here is the thing, if you do not log in the binge then you will never know what you are doing to yourself. For example, I LOVE TO DRINK. I can drink most people under the table and almost drink a normal tolerance under the table twice. I used to drink very heavy when I would go out. I have cut back since September. I had more then 15 drinks that night. Between September and my birthday in march I had close to 10 drinks total. I wanted to get drunk on my birthday so I banked some calories and hit the gym longer. I went out on st patty's day, birthday is two days after, and I did not get drunk. I did not know exact calorie intake but I did not want to cancel what I have already did. I went down two pants sizes with no scale drop. I had nine drinks and that was keeping it light. I decided to count calories for my drinks and found out I drank close to a pound in calories.

I used to over eat and I barely count calories my self now. Down 22 pounds in 66 days. If you would like to know how I am doing this so easy add me.

If was have any similarity as for mindset I can easily help you.
  • twirlymay
    twirlymay Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    All of this feedback is so helpful-thank you!
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I don't really binge anymore, but I make myself log no matter what. It's funny, in a way it's a reality check because you see how much you've eaten. But it also takes some of the scariness away for me because it puts it in black and white. Hiding the truth from myself because I feel ashamed of what I've eaten just perpetuates the feelings that make me binge.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I try not to binge too often but every once in a while I like to go to a Brazilian Steakhouse and all bets are off when I do... lol. Hard to control portions when you get all you can steak.

As long as I don't make a weekly habit of it I'm ok with one day where I don't record everything once in a while.
  • marylynndrake
    marylynndrake Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have logged when I've eaten a lot and it has been really helpful. I've been honest, accepting, AND I've maintained progress. Eating "bad" one day won't undo progress. The first time I logged a binge, the amount of calories was astounding. It was pretty surprising to see. Over time, I've noticed a pattern and I can build in things that I typically would binge on- pushing through hasn't worked for me, the cravings are still there. This keeps me from binging as much. I do it less often because I know what it will do to my progress if it were to happen a lot. It has become less emotional and more a choice of when I want to go over. I also find that I when I consume a lot of calories, I have done my body a disservice because I have not typically eaten nourishing foods and I find myself feeling tired and hungry the next day despite having had plenty of calories, and I am quickly leaving the chocolate and beer (my binge foods) for more nourishing foods. It has also been great because I now can associate the feeling my body gets with the amount (and content/ lack of nourishment) after the binged calories, compared to my consistent more nourishing food intake generally. The consistent energy and satiety makes it worth eating more nourishing foods. Good luck to you!
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I finally started to honestly log my binges/significant overeating. For one, it helps me see patterns and sometimes gives me insight as to why I had trouble on a particular day. Basically, I make myself face it and then move on. I get tired of hiding the truth,
  • madi678
    madi678 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I think it's good to log so I can see exactly what the damage was and to remind myself just how calorie dense but nutrient deficient these foods are.
  • mkcmurphy
    mkcmurphy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Life happens, and so does indulgence. You were smart enough to see it as a negative event and determined to change enough to log it. Next step is to be gutsy enough to forgive yourself and move on.

Good luck - you're going to do wonderfully!
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I think logging your binge and holding yourself accountable is a healthy and positive thing to do, and it takes a lot of strength to do it. Good for you.

Bingeing is a behavioral issue, not a food issue (unless you are starving yourself and then bingeing because your body is desperate for food, but even then it's mostly behavioral). Usually the reasons we binge have little to do with hunger and more to do with an underlying issue - emotions, stress, loneliness, boredom, etc. The people on this site who have had issues with bingeing or compulsive eating and have tackled them successfully have done so by identifying the underlying reason why they are standing in front of the cupboard eating in the first place.

I think it can be helpful in addition to logging the binge, to also make notes in your diary about how you are feeling on a particular day and what is going on in your life. You may see a pattern developing between certain events/feelings and binges. People have also had success talking to a doctor/therapist or working with a support group like OA to make changes to the behavior and find ways to cope without food.

Good luck, I know this is a tough thing to work through, especially if you grew up seeing others treat food as comfort. The good news is that this is something you can beat, and it sounds like you're not afraid to take on the challenge since you're not willing to hide from it.
  • Nt2Badhuh
    Nt2Badhuh Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I just had to log an indulgent night.... I hate it.... but I love that I am now being serious enough to be accountable for it. Kudos to you... It's not easy I know but logging honestly is a big step forward in itself.
  • chloeealicee
    chloeealicee Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've actually found logging a binge can help me as I often overestimate how bad it was. Also you can keep track of patterns. I soon looked back and realised that I always binged in the mornings after having a small dinner or being restrictive for a few days earlier so I'm now able to find a balance and rarely binge. That's what worked for me anyway
  • rockstrong
    rockstrong Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi Tm, I have just started MFP four days ago. I have tried logging my food intake before but never stuck with it. My biggest problem is binging. Last night I had a binge and this morning I recorded everything. I feel remorseful as I always do, but seeing the number of total caloriess makes me feel motivated to not let this happen today. It helps to see the totals.
  • bootssowhite
    bootssowhite Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've actually found logging a binge can help me as I often overestimate how bad it was.
    THIS. After a binge, I'm usually feeling discouraged and defeated and it's easy to fall into the mindset of today is blown, so I might as well go drown my sorrow in butter and cheese and start anew tomorrow or next week, but it's not always that bad. Say in a moment of weakness I eat an entire bag of chips or an entire plate of biscuits. Yes that's unhealthy and it's going to blow my calorie total for the day, but it's not actually *that* bad. It's 700 or 800 calories, and if I abstain from snacks or treats for the next few days and add an extra workout, I can usually make that up, but only if stop the cycle of poor eating early.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I started logging my "binges" and waking up about 3 months ago. Believe me, they were ugly. But once I told myself "I am logging everything.. no matter what", my binges got fewer and when I did binge... it wasn't really that bad. Now if I want a treat like donuts, lots of pizza etc... I plan for it and log it still and enjoy it!

What also helps is I "calorie average" which means I track how I am performing for the entire month. That way if I have a party or a special occasion and I want to get 4000 cals of whatever... I do it and then just make sure that I compensate before or after.

Logging actually = Freedom! :smile:
  • gijsmom
    gijsmom Posts: 1
    Options
    I am also an occasional binger! Logging it does help put it in perspective, and also usually makes my eyes pop out of my head!!! LOL
  • twirlymay
    twirlymay Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I went out of town this weekend and overate as I usually do when I travel. But, I made the commitment to log it all in, even if it was the day after and even if it was painful to see. I'm upset that I went over on my calories, but I'm trying to make logging a habit so that I can curb my habit of mindless eating.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I went out of town this weekend and overate as I usually do when I travel. But, I made the commitment to log it all in, even if it was the day after and even if it was painful to see. I'm upset that I went over on my calories, but I'm trying to make logging a habit so that I can curb my habit of mindless eating.

The good news I have found that when I log everything... even days I go over by 1000 or 2000.. I don't get too upset around it because I know that I can compensate. Before I used to yo-yo from VLCD to Binge and back... it was awful!
  • 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I haven't binged in a really long while. But I noticed (by logging the binges) what caused me to binge, which was very helpful in stopping them