Issues

Options
HI, I am hoping to finally lose weight and keep it off. I am bi-polar and struggle with eating habits due to the mood swings and medication. I have very low self esteem and often eat when I am down because I am fat and ugly but then I get worse. I have been to GP who is a great doctor, really sympathetic and non-judgemental. He has prescribed orlistat to help me, the idea being I have to focus on developing a healthy relationship with food or pay the consequences! I am sure most of you know what they are!! Anyway I started yesterday and am so pleased to have found MFP. It means I can log everything I eat and see if and where I am going wrong. I have cut out all dairy except skimmed milk and am only eating whole wheat pasta or bread if having them. I have also upped my water intake by having a pint glass of no added sugar lemon squash made quite weak. Just after some meal ideas and tips? Does anyone have idea about sweet cravings, what can I have as chocolate is out because of fat content danger :)
Edited to add: I have a weigh in with my doctor in 4 weeks, he said if I have lost 5% of body weight then we can continue with orlistat. If no real loss shown then it doesn't work for me so no point carrying on.

Replies

• ChelseaWelseyKins
    ChelseaWelseyKins Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    HI, I am hoping to finally lose weight and keep it off. I am bi-polar and struggle with eating habits due to the mood swings and medication. I have very low self esteem and often eat when I am down because I am fat and ugly but then I get worse. I have been to GP who is a great doctor, really sympathetic and non-judgemental. He has prescribed orlistat to help me, the idea being I have to focus on developing a healthy relationship with food or pay the consequences! I am sure most of you know what they are!! Anyway I started yesterday and am so pleased to have found MFP. It means I can log everything I eat and see if and where I am going wrong. I have cut out all dairy except skimmed milk and am only eating whole wheat pasta or bread if having them. I have also upped my water intake by having a pint glass of no added sugar lemon squash made quite weak. Just after some meal ideas and tips? Does anyone have idea about sweet cravings, what can I have as chocolate is out because of fat content danger :)

I'm glad to see that you've consulted your doctor and being safe :) As for the sweet cravings, a piece of dark chocolate now and then is actually GOOD for you. However, you can't have it ALL the time. I like to freeze fruit such as mangoes, strawberries, bananas, etc, and put a little bit of whipped cream on it. It's sweet and is kind of like ice cream :)

Here's a link to 33 different ways you can satisfy that sweet tooth without going overboard - http://greatist.com/health/healthier-dessert-recipes
  • Pebblespooch
    Pebblespooch Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks Chelsea, I will look into the link and also chocolate if just one square. The problem is I was advised by GP that no more than 5g per 100g in a item and no more than 15g per meal. I think most chocolate is above 5g per 100g :(
  • ChelseaWelseyKins
    ChelseaWelseyKins Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Thanks Chelsea, I will look into the link and also chocolate if just one square. The problem is I was advised by GP that no more than 5g per 100g in a item and no more than 15g per meal. I think most chocolate is above 5g per 100g :(

Dark chocolate is actually pretty good for you. It lacks most of the fats and added sugars that milk chocolate has, and can regulate the stress hormone (cortisol). More about it is on the link I gave you :) Everything in moderation is A-OK!