Food Allergies Complicate Things

Hiyo!

I didn't spot a food allergy forum, so do let me know if I'm in the wrong place.

Unfortunately, I became seriously ill about a decade ago and then again about 5 years ago. My weight dropped to 89 pounds (I'm 5'4") and has only recovered to 95 pounds. Both times, after a lot of rigamarole, I was diagnosed with food allergies... a total of 61 of them. O.o I can't manage to gain weight for any amount of trying because the protocols for avoiding the development of more food allergies are tricky. Getting professional help trying to balance my diet with what's left is like pulling teeth with a sledgehammer.

My goal is to get my weight back up to 115 pounds, but I've been fighting to get it up to triple digits for the last decade.

Any suggestions or resources I should look into?

Cindy

Replies

• FitFoodieFla
    FitFoodieFla Posts: 8 Member
    I feel for you! I hope you've had some relief. Did you find a food allergy forum? I'm looking, too. I am having difficulties with something - although nothing shows in my skin or blood tests for allergies. It's so complex.

I've found good luck with an integrative physician (M.D.) - you could look for integrative or functional medicine practitioners - as well as acupuncturist and complementary practitioners.
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    oh dear, that is a lot! i'm only allergic (mildly) to 13 foods. what things do you absolutely have to avoid?
  • Have you been referred to a dietician to help you plan your diet around your restrictions?
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Have you been referred to a dietician to help you plan your diet around your restrictions?

It's in her OP:
    Getting professional help trying to balance my diet with what's left is like pulling teeth with a sledgehammer.

OP, what are you allergic to?
    MFP doesn't have an allergy forum but there could be groups so it's worth doing a search there.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    603reader wrote: »
    Have you been referred to a dietician to help you plan your diet around your restrictions?

It's in her OP:
    Getting professional help trying to balance my diet with what's left is like pulling teeth with a sledgehammer.

OP, what are you allergic to?
    MFP doesn't have an allergy forum but there could be groups so it's worth doing a search there.

Yup, wondering what specific allergies are. I have celiac, so no gluten for me, yet I have no problem eating my 2700+ calories.
  • NowyTends
    NowyTends Posts: 110 Member
    Feel for you guys. I think those of us that are lucky to not have any reaction to foods can't really fathom what it's like. I think as Missholidaygolightly said, go to a nutritionist/ dietician.. this should really help you get a big list of things that can help, and even if you are allergic to a large number of things, you will still be able to work around it to achieve your goals..

GL!!!