Confusing Weight Fluctuations

I'm not really sure what's going with my weight lately. I've been up and down and up 50lbs in the last year and now I'm trying to lose that weight again. I stick to roughly between 1300-1500 calories a day. I do have days where my calorie intake spikes up to 3k, but that's only about 1 day out of the week. I weight train a few times a week, and occasionally do some cardio for about 1/2 hr. The confusing part is the pattern in my weight (each number is about 2 weeks apart):

What's going on here? It seems like this month I've just been losing and gaining water weight? But WHY? I'm eating at a deficit.

Any thoughts or clues? I'm feeling really, really discouraged at this point and I'm thinking that if I'm eating right and not losing that maybe being heavy is just my body's natural state.

**edit** Yes, I track my food correctly. In fact I even overcompensate in the event something is more caloric then I originally thought.

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    You're losing, ballpark, a little less than half a pound a week. You are losing weight, though.
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Yeah weight fluctuates all the time and yes it is very frustrating as I have started to weigh myself everyday just to track and see what happens and I do go back and forth. I don't let it get to me because as long as I am losing whether it's on the scale or inches as long as I feel good about myself I don't let the numbers bother me too much.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Your body weight fluctuates naturally with water retention/release, more or less waste in your system from weigh in to weigh in, etc. Nobody has a static body weight...nobody weighs exactly XXX Lbs and thus losses aren't going to be linear. It is far more important to watch the overall trend than the actual weigh in to weigh in number.

This is one of the big reasons people say that the scale only tells part of the story...it's not the be all, end all measurement. It is simply one tool and you have to understand how that tool works in conjunction with how your body works to properly use the tool.