How to figure it out?

Options
So how do I figure out if an activity falls under what?

I am trying to figure out how many calories are burned from jogging the beach for 1/2 hour. What and how do I figure this out if I can't find anything anywhere online?

Does everyone have their own machine to do this?

I'm still hopelessly trying to find "Ripstick" calories burned online. Even the company has no clue. But the guy who didn't speak English said I could loose weight by using one today. Lovely...LOL

Replies

• PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    So how do I figure out if an activity falls under what?

I am trying to figure out how many calories are burned from jogging the beach for 1/2 hour. What and how do I figure this out if I can't find anything anywhere online?

Does everyone have their own machine to do this?

I'm still hopelessly trying to find "Ripstick" calories burned online. Even the company has no clue. But the guy who didn't speak English said I could loose weight by using one today. Lovely...LOL
  • foxfire9372
    foxfire9372 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Everyone says to do the HRM for a completely accurate recording of what burns what. Running on the beach sounds heavenly. Which branch are you in? Army here.
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options
    My husband is in the AF, and we live on the Emerald Coast. I love it!

Can you tell me more about the heart monitor thing? I'm not sure I'm ready to invest money into something I might end up hating to use. Ideas?
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Really, in a perfect world, everyone would have their own HRM. The thing is, everyone's body is different, so if you use the calorie burn from this site or anywhere, you are really just estimating, I know this site is about 15% off for me (so if you are talking about a 45 minute run, that's about 150 calories off! yikes!). I know 75 or 90 bucks sounds like a lot. But really, it's not that bad and I guarantee it will be the best 90 bucks you have spent in a long time! SOO worth it.
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    I agree with Banks, altho my 48" chest doesn't lol, damn chest strap keeps rowling down my back lol
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options
    Thank you for the information and input. I was researching online and saw a few possibilities...

Do you have any tips on what I should look for and not? I would rather not have anything roped around me. Simple would be more comfortable...Any tips?
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I'm jealous that you live somewhere where "running on the beach" can be your exercise... :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: That's the stuff of vacations in my world!!!
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options
    Oh I totally love the beach!!! We have the snow white beaches and emerald colored water. I feel so spoiled! It helps get me out and about and healthy!
  • banks1850
    Options
    Thank you for the information and input. I was researching online and saw a few possibilities...

Do you have any tips on what I should look for and not? I would rather not have anything roped around me. Simple would be more comfortable...Any tips?

as far as HRM's go? You kinda need the chest strap. Normally they are quite comfortable. Al might be the exception to the rule, I find that I forget the strap about 3 minutes into the routine. And I don't remember it again until I take it off and it's all sweaty (nasty).

Little factoid for you guys: Did you know? The easier you sweat, the better condition your body is?
  • fatsis
    fatsis Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options

as far as HRM's go? You kinda need the chest strap. Normally they are quite comfortable. Al might be the exception to the rule, I find that I forget the strap about 3 minutes into the routine. And I don't remember it again until I take it off and it's all sweaty (nasty).

Little factoid for you guys: Did you know? The easier you sweat, the better condition your body is?

Wow. I am a sweathog after running a mile. Thanks that made me feel good:bigsmile:
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options
    Ummm...I've never been a sweater...At all...I could run a mile without stopping since I was younger, and not a drip. But looking at my BMI I'm not that our of shape...And I don't sweat more when I'm smaller and healthier??? I don't get it. And I'm a major water drinker.
  • banks1850
    Options
    Ummm...I've never been a sweater...At all...I could run a mile without stopping since I was younger, and not a drip. But looking at my BMI I'm not that our of shape...And I don't sweat more when I'm smaller and healthier??? I don't get it. And I'm a major water drinker.

Well, it's more about where your heart rate is then how long you run. I don't sweat for the first mile either, but that is cuz it takes that long for my HR to get up into the 80's, then I sweat like crazy.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I wasn't much of a sweater until my trainer got a hold of me... as long as I push myself (85% heart rate), I drip!
    :smile:
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options
    How funny!!! I remember running liners in basket ball and this one girl would walk into the gym and sweat all over...I'd race through my liners, and I can count bot the drips. But then again, I have to totally watch my food groups or my skin gets cysts! YUCK!!!

Hokay, I'm going research heart monitors. Where did you get yours and what type?