Working out when sick

Options
I'm coming down with a bad cold or flu...I felt it yesterday but I still managed to work out...Today however I even got sent home from work b/c I'm coughing and feverish and achy...I think I could struggle through a work out, but I"m wondering if it wouldn't hurt to take a day off b/c I wouldn't be giving it 100% b/c I feel so crappy.

So my question whne you are sick do you still work out?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,079 Member
    Options
    No. Your body needs to fight off whatever it is you have contracted. Rest, fluids, more rest.

The workouts will wait.

Feel better:flowerforyou:
  • gurgi22
    gurgi22 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    It is not a good idea to workout when you are sick. Especially if you have a fever, nausea/vomiting, or diarrhea. When you feel crappy you should take clues from your body and give it the rest it needs to get better. Taking one day off will not kill your weight loss in the long run.
  • kicklikeaGIRL
    kicklikeaGIRL Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Don't do it...from my experience...working out only lengthens the illness. You need to rest. Save your energy, get some rest and eat healthy. When I'm sick I don't have the same appetite. You'll be just fine if you eat healthy and get the rest you need. Otherwise you could end up working your body too hard and either get more sick, or if you have a fever you will more than likely have an accellerated heart rate. Best not to work out in flu/feverish/achy conditions. If its a simple cold, I think its fine. I had the flu last week and didn't workout for 5 days in a row. My body needed the rest and I recovered faster.

Hope you start feeling better!!
  • Papucho
    Papucho Posts: 138
    Options
    No. Your body needs to fight off whatever it is you have contracted. Rest, fluids, more rest.

The workouts will wait.

Feel better:flowerforyou:

Ditto
  • CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    I would skip it. I had the same thing a couple weeks ago and thought I could push through it. All I did was make myself feel worse. Get some rest and stay hydrated - you can get back to the workouts when you're feeling better. :flowerforyou:
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I'm coming down with a bad cold or flu...I felt it yesterday but I still managed to work out...Today however I even got sent home from work b/c I'm coughing and feverish and achy...I think I could struggle through a work out, but I"m wondering if it wouldn't hurt to take a day off b/c I wouldn't be giving it 100% b/c I feel so crappy.

So my question whne you are sick do you still work out?

No I do not work out when sick. Too much strain on the heart, just not worth the risk.

People talk about "sweating a cold out" - but it doesn't work, a cold will run its course whether you workout or not.

The reason you have to be careful is because some viruses are very dangerous if you exercise on them, the problem lies with these same viruses mimicking a common cold. You will not know if it is a cold or a bad virus.
  • futureflaka
    futureflaka Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am currently fighting a cold/flu as well. I haven't worked out at all this week because i get shortness of breath just by walking [i also have asthma and although is not so bad by itself when accompanied by a cold or flu, it feels like death]. I tried to do one of my tae bo videos today and was able to get only half way through it. I think it is best to just wait a couple more days and then i'll get back on the horse. I recommend you do the same. :)
  • htdavidson
    Options
    I have been sick this week as well. I did try to walk at least 30 minutes a day just so my body wouldn't be so exhausted when I'm able to start working out again.
  • gatedialer
    gatedialer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Don't even try it. I've been sick for two weeks and tried to work out in week one. BIG MISTAKE. I just drank a lot of water, watched what I ate (did not go over my calories) and rested. If I did any type of activity it was playing wii bowling lol Heck, I had to ask a friend to come over and play with my boxer, she was feeling neglected, poor girl. I work weekends, so, looks like Monday I should be good to go for some exercise. The crappy thing is that I have to rebuild my endurance after being sick for two weeks. Ugh! Get better soon!
  • zoey116
    Options
    I agree with everything everyone has said so far but also if your doctor puts you on antibiotics you have to be carefull b/c some of the newer/stronger ones can cause serious muscle damage if you do anything strenuous. I am on Avelox right now (for a nasty sinus infection)and have also been warned about Levaquin (sp?) that they can cause serious issues if you exercise while taking them.
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    Options
    Hi,

I feel sick for a week now, some days more, some days less, but it's been going on since last Thursday. I haven't worked out all that time, and still lost weight ;-)
    Happens to me when I am sick, it's a little consolation for the fact that I can't work out properly. Hopefully your body reacts the same way.
    Get that rest, let your body heal itself and then have a fresh start. Just don't forget to watch what you eat: less workout means less calories ...

MM
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Don't even try it. I've been sick for two weeks and tried to work out in week one. BIG MISTAKE. I just drank a lot of water, watched what I ate (did not go over my calories) and rested. If I did any type of activity it was playing wii bowling lol Heck, I had to ask a friend to come over and play with my boxer, she was feeling neglected, poor girl. I work weekends, so, looks like Monday I should be good to go for some exercise. The crappy thing is that I have to rebuild my endurance after being sick for two weeks. Ugh! Get better soon!

Hi, just wanted to say that although your basic fitness level will have dropped due to you having to take time off exercising, it will not have disappeared and as long as you build up gradually, you will be back to what you were in no time.

Glad you are feeling better! :flowerforyou: