SHOCKING!

Options
So one of my most favoritest drinks is a large Caramel Frappe from McDonald's. Yeah, I know it's not good for me, but I never realized HOW bad it was until now. Those puppies are packed with 680 calories, 29g fat, 18g sat. fat, 2g trans fat, 85mg cholesterol, 94g carbs, and 88g sugar! I haven't had one in a while, and now I definitely don't plan on having one probably ever again. I don't even want to think about some of the other crap I was eating before! ha ha

So what are some of your favorite foodstuffs that you were unaware of how bad they are for you? Have you found a substitute, or did you just quit it like a bad habit? I'm still looking for a pasta replacement and something to replace Mom's home made chocolate cake!! ;)

~Brian

Replies

• schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    whoa 680 cals!??!
  • flynabster
    Options
    Wow!!! Scary isn't it?
    I ordered a chicken Cesar salad at Olive Garden....I KNEW that the Cesar wasn't the best salad to have, but I had NO idea that it was 850 calories!!!!!! lol

There are a lot of things I'd like to eat, but now I check calories first then decide if it's worth it.....
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    My fav meal used to be pancakes with icecream bacon grilled banana and maple syrup and mint from the cafe down the road.

It was excessive I knew - but I logged it the other day out of curiosity.... 980 calories!!!!!

Nearly what I eat on a normal day! And I would eat that plus lunch and dinner - MADNESS
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I just calculated my coworkers lunh. He had the 2 for $5 Western Bacon Cheeseburgers, Crispy cut fries and 24 oz Pepsi from Carl's Jr. It was 1870 cals and 95 g of FAT!!!! I was SHOCKED! :noway:
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    So one of my most favoritest drinks is a large Caramel Frappe from McDonald's. Yeah, I know it's not good for me, but I never realized HOW bad it was until now. Those puppies are packed with 680 calories, 29g fat, 18g sat. fat, 2g trans fat, 85mg cholesterol, 94g carbs, and 88g sugar! I haven't had one in a while, and now I definitely don't plan on having one probably ever again. I don't even want to think about some of the other crap I was eating before! ha ha

So what are some of your favorite foodstuffs that you were unaware of how bad they are for you? Have you found a substitute, or did you just quit it like a bad habit? I'm still looking for a pasta replacement and something to replace Mom's home made chocolate cake!! ;)

~Brian

Try a grande soy coffee frappuccino - it doesn't taste much like soy and is only 230 calories, so it won't completely kill your day as an ***occasional*** treat.
  • maletac
    maletac Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    uhh guy who posted this... i love love coffee... but there is the coffee in a can made by starbucks "VANILLA LIGHT"... it tastes pretty good... and only 110 calories for 15 oz... which is actually a good amount... ( i also justify it cause it has a ton of potassium and little sodium which is needed in my diet)

and salads have for a while been known to be pretty fatty anywhere but home.. you can always make the same thing and i bet its way less on calories :D:D
  • shanolap
    shanolap Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's has really good brown rice pastas. Not as chewy as whole wheat and gluten free.
  • ReadyMom
    Options
    Mine was a Starbucks iced veinte peppermint mocha with whip cream. I KNEWWW it was bad, real bad but I felt like it was my 20 minutes of happiness and me time in the day. (EVERYDAY for probably 5 years) I would seriously be in a bad mood if I didn't have one and even two older kids would say geez mom go get your peppermint mocha!! For the last couple months I got them I didn't really enjoy them at all and it would take me hours to finish one but I still continued to get them. I haven't had one since a few weeks before I started on MFP so 3 months now. Quit cold turkey and put hand to forehead every time I think of all the assault I put my body through by that very gross tons of sugar habit. My face is finally cleared up, I sleep better, and just feel better as a whole by not consuming that crap anymore.
  • Bluediesel
    Options
    WHOLLY JOLLY FKN MOLLY!!! WOWWWWWWWWWWW!!!
  • tishieb
    tishieb Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    When I started my eating / lifestyle change at the beginning of this year I went back to check a starbucks drink I had been
    drinking EVERYDAY.

The white chocolate mocha .. venti
    580 calories
    75 g sugar

HOLY F !!!!! Not to mention on certain days there would have been a visit to McDonalds for lunch .. and Wendy's for dinner ..
    Probably a chocolate bar or two in there AND to top the day off with a white chocolate mocha BIGGIE style

GEEEEEEEEEEEEES !!!! No wonder I was biggie style !!!! I'm surprised that I didn't slip into a diabetic coma !

I am SO thankful for what I know now ... and what I am DOING NOW :)
  • MadiCole
    Options
    Ugh, I think everything I used to eat was way worse for me than I wanted to believe. Since I started my weight loss journey, I've found sooo many ways to make the things I love so much healthier. It makes me wonder why I didn't make those substitutes in the first place.
    Pasta is still my ultimate weakness. I just try to cut it completely out of my diet apart from the occasional treat, or I know I'll go out of control. :blushing:
  • binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Baja Sol Chicken Quesadilla. I mean chicken, tortilla and cheese right?
    Calories 1314
    Fat 83g
    Sat Fat 28g
    Chol 251g
    Sodium 1928

Even though I survived eating them reading about it almost gave me a heart attack.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I was surprised just how caloric the Jose Cuervo Golden Margarita mix is (tequila already in there, pour and drink). While it's only in the 300+ calorie range, it's more than what I eat for breakfast, and certainly more than a snack. I'm still trying to figure out how to make a low-cal margarita. I'll have to mess around with lime-flavored KoolAid / Splenda and ???
  • bhelmreich
    bhelmreich Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    starbucks is my downfall! i tend to only get tall caramel light fraps...only about 130 cals but still.
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    My shocking (or I guess not so shocking because I should have realized it) treat was Chick-Fil-A's chocolate milk shake... probably my favorite dessert eevveerr but it has 760 calories in it and 28 grams of fat!!! Now I opt for a McDonalds Caramel sundae when I want ice cream.. 340 calories which is still a lot but some nights totally worth it!
  • BeerKahuna
    Options
    I used to enjoy going to Popeye's for fried chicken:

3 piece meal, 2 breasts 1 wing, spicy
    Red Beans and Rice
    Biscuit with 2 honey packets
    Large Root Beer with a re-fill

Drum roll, please!

2300 Calories !?!?!?!?!?! That's my entire "maintenance calorie" budget. :embarassed:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    I was surprised just how caloric the Jose Cuervo Golden Margarita mix is (tequila already in there, pour and drink). While it's only in the 300+ calorie range, it's more than what I eat for breakfast, and certainly more than a snack. I'm still trying to figure out how to make a low-cal margarita. I'll have to mess around with lime-flavored KoolAid / Splenda and ???

going OT here for a min.

My all time fave, Margarita.
    Lower cal = use fresh lime instead of marg mix. Use orange extract or a splash of orange juice instead of Cointreau. Use Stevia instead of all the sugar in the lime mix.

After a while with the weight loss thing, I switched to 1800 on the rocks with a lime squeeze. Or if I'm feeling really festive, 1800 rocks with a splash of OJ.
    Splash - not 1800 & OJ. :noway:
  • rckola911
    rckola911 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    drink a plain ice coffee if u have to. once u add cream and all that crap game over. my wife works there and has made some doozys. its insane they have that many calories! we like to joke about orange chicken at panda express lol its 600 calories and so small. also i like oreos they are 50 cal a cookie. moderation pal
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,426 Member
    Options
    Oh, I've got 3 for you.

Chick Fil A (a frequent treat in our house w/ 2 kids in sports)
    8 chicken nuggets-260
    small waffle fries-270
    BBQ sauce- 60
    cookies and cream milk shake-790 (!!!!)

grand total 1380

McDonald's dinner:
    Quarter Pounder w/ cheese 510
    small fry 230
    M&M McFlurry 910 (!!!!!!!)

grand total 1650

McDonald's breakfast:
    Egg McMuffin-300
    Hash Brown-150
    Cinnamon roll-420

Grand Total: 870

No wonder I"m on this site!!!!
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    youz peoples gosta stop drinking your calories!!!!!!

woah.