Barbell Suggestions - Help

Options
Caper88
Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
So I have been working out with fitness dvds such as Jilian Micheals. I have been using a set of 3lbs, 5lbs, 10lbs free weights that have been kicking around the house. I have been starting to notice that these weights size are starting to be come a little too light for some exercises. I think it is time I start investing in some weights. I still need to use different weights depending on the exercise but I don't want to buy a bunch of dumbells since I kind of out grow them after a while. The 3lb weights are just kind of collecting dust again because it now too light for most exercises. I figure if I start buying them individual I am going to be paying a ton in the long run. I have been thinking about buying barbell set that has individual plates.

What I am wondering is what is the best way to buy barbell sets when you don't have a ton of money to invest? I have notice a few different pre-made sets that both say 40lbs or 50lbs but when you compare them the plate weights are different. What increments of plate size should I buy? Should I just buy a bunch of 5lbs plates or am I better off buying a mix of sizes? Any suggests on what sizes I should buy to start? Are the bar and plates interchangeable or do I have to stick to buying one type of bar and plate once I start?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    craigslist

need a barbell- a squat rack at least- power cage at best (imo- but I prefer them for a variety of reasons)
    start with smaller plate weights- someone always has some lying around-
    you need (obviously) pairs of them
    typically it's
    35 (these are fabulous)

up to 25 will get you to 130 pounds which is enough for the first 2-3 months usually.

Olympic barbell is 45 pounds- the women's bar is 35- but the diameter is the same as the standard- but I would recommend just getting a standard size.

If the hash marks on the bar feel a lot like a cheese grator- that's better than ones that are completely smooth.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Tagging to read later.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I definitely suggest craigslist as well. Be patient but you can find good deals. Driving by local garage sales don't hurt either, you can find small collections of plates for cheap prices and can build up your collection that way.

I was looking a few months back and found a power cage, 250lbs in plates, two olympic bars, a bench and mats for $300. It was amazing. However I only have an upstairs bedroom free and I'm not comfortable putting so much weight upstairs on a house we are renting. Someday soon though
  • Johnplusfour
    Johnplusfour Posts: 105
    Options
    On a budget.. Craigslist for sure.

Olympic bars/plates are far more expensive and although they do feel better, they are not necessary. I do highly recommend only getting a wide fork bench. If you get the cheapo narrow forks then it's an absolute guarantee that you will pinch your fingers or palms at some point in time.

Bars/plates restrict your range of motion to a single plane or slope. With dumbbells you have more control over the range of motion, you can accomplish twice as many exercises, and you work more of those muscles that stabilize/balance the weight causing fuller development and decreasing risk of injury. And you can do "flies" at home without expensive equipment. (A huge plus for developing a fuller looking chest.)

Not to mention you can use them for back, shoulders, bi's, tri's, forearms, and even abs! My home gym consists of an adjustable(incline/decline utility bench --> http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/L12083181.jpg and a pile of dumbbells.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    Budget: Craigslist

Money not an issue: Rogue Fitness or Elite FTS
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Buy a good barbell. Get Craigslist plates. Any olympic barbell from rogue.

Not having a barbell is better than a **** barbell.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    A couple of options:

You could go with a standard barbell (that is a barbell that is a 1" diameter, weighs around 15-18 lbs, and obviously uses 1" weight plates) You can get one new that can support 250lbs of weight for around $50.00. Weight plates can easily be found at <$1.00/lb.

Olympic barbells are more heavy duty (weigh around 35-45 lbs depending if you go with a women's or men's) use weight plates with 2" hole, and are the standard (preference) in barbell lifting. A good Olympic barbell new will cost you anywhere from $150+. Weight plates are also more expensive. As suggested, used is always an option, just be careful to get a good quality barbell.