Starting out hiking

Options
I've always loved to hike but I've recently decided to get serious about it. Monday I have a trip planned. It will just be a day hike over well used trails ending up being about 6 miles. Moderate with some strenuous areas - mostly a half mile descent into a canyon.

I've got all the basic's covered. Good shoes, clothing, backpack, snacks, water, med kit, compass, and flashlight.

Its a relatively short hike so I can't think of anything else that I will need, but I thought I might as and see if any other more experienced hikers could weigh in and mention something I am forgetting or give advice.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• dtimedwards
    dtimedwards Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Aside from comfy shoes and some water, the most important thing is to tell somebody where you are going and when you expect to return. No amount of fancy gear will save you when you bump your noggin, are unconscious, and nobody even knows to look for you.
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the scenary, breath in the clean air, check out the wildlife (from a distance) and leave nothing behind except your footprints and smile!

If you eventually love it so much that your struggling for new routes look to buy a GPSr.... I have the Garmin GPSMAP 64 which I use for hiking and geocaching (treasure hunt while hiking). I use open street mapping which has nearly all the public footpaths in the UK marked.

Also if you have a fancy smartphone (like most of us!) if you worry about your battery being drained take a spare or a charger park so you have a phone for emergencies.
  • theserpah
    theserpah Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    the biggest omission I see on your list are good socks, two pairs. Never cotton, always blend or wool.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I agree with dtimedwards.

Plus a few more thoughts, as I'm preparing for a two-week backpacking trip:
    - sunscreen
    - rain gear
    - whistle
    - hiking poles (you may not need, but I find them helpful with my old man knees)
  • Asherah29
    Asherah29 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Aside from comfy shoes and some water, the most important thing is to tell somebody where you are going and when you expect to return. No amount of fancy gear will save you when you bump your noggin, are unconscious, and nobody even knows to look for you.

Forgot to add that. That is done as well, and I am going with a partner on this trip.
  • Asherah29
    Options
    the biggest omission I see on your list are good socks, two pairs. Never cotton, always blend or wool.

I had thought of that, but was not sure if they were needed on a short trip. Thanks! I will add!
  • Asherah29
    Options
    Enjoy the scenary, breath in the clean air, check out the wildlife (from a distance) and leave nothing behind except your footprints and smile!

If you eventually love it so much that your struggling for new routes look to buy a GPSr.... I have the Garmin GPSMAP 64 which I use for hiking and geocaching (treasure hunt while hiking). I use open street mapping which has nearly all the public footpaths in the UK marked.

Also if you have a fancy smartphone (like most of us!) if you worry about your battery being drained take a spare or a charger park so you have a phone for emergencies.

Thank you! I always carry an extra charger and a GPS eventually would be fantastic!
  • ozerion
    ozerion Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Make sure you have your 10 Essentials (+4).
    http://www.backpacking.net/ten-essl.html
  • Asherah29
    Options
    I agree with dtimedwards.

Plus a few more thoughts, as I'm preparing for a two-week backpacking trip:
    - sunscreen
    - rain gear
    - whistle
    - hiking poles (you may not need, but I find them helpful with my old man knees)

Added several of those to my list as well. Thank you!
  • Asherah29
    Options
    Make sure you have your 10 Essentials (+4).
    http://www.backpacking.net/ten-essl.html

Great List! Thank you!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Trail Map ?
  • Cheeseburger85
    Cheeseburger85 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I agree with theserpah - good socks are incredibly important. Merino wool is best in my opinion. Also pack a good sharp pocket knife. You will end up using it at some point.
  • theserpah
    theserpah Posts: 109 Member
    Options

I had thought of that, but was not sure if they were needed on a short trip. Thanks! I will add!

I bring a second pair not in the event I wear through the first pair but in the event I get the first pair wet (or it's quite hot). Hiking in wet socks is the easiest way to get a blister (and cast down on an otherwise great hike)
  • Asherah29
    Options

I bring a second pair not in the event I wear through the first pair but in the event I get the first pair wet (or it's quite hot). Hiking in wet socks is the easiest way to get a blister (and cast down on an otherwise great hike)

Excellent point. I don't want blisters!
  • Asherah29
    Options
    Trail Map ?

Picking up tomorrow. I do not have it as yet.
  • Asherah29
    Options
    I agree with theserpah - good socks are incredibly important. Merino wool is best in my opinion. Also pack a good sharp pocket knife. You will end up using it at some point.

I have that too. Always carry one aside from hiking. - country girl lol
  • LucasEVille
    LucasEVille Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Also pack a good sharp pocket knife. You will end up using it at some point.

If you hike outside of your own country make sure you check the local laws on knives, in the UK you have to have a provable reason if you want a lock knife above a certain length, going on a small hike doesn't qualify. Going up the tallest mountain (for survival) or fishing (as a tool) for example will be fine.
  • Asherah29
    Options
    Also pack a good sharp pocket knife. You will end up using it at some point.

If you hike outside of your own country make sure you check the local laws on knives, in the UK you have to have a provable reason if you want a lock knife above a certain length, going on a small hike doesn't qualify. Going up the tallest mountain (for survival) or fishing (as a tool) for example will be fine.

Oh good to know! I won't be leaving the country for a hike any time soon, but hopefully in the future!
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you are, but in my area bear spray is a must.
  • splashtree2
    splashtree2 Posts: 277
    Options
    I've always loved to hike but I've recently decided to get serious about it. Monday I have a trip planned. It will just be a day hike over well used trails ending up being about 6 miles. Moderate with some strenuous areas - mostly a half mile descent into a canyon.

I've got all the basic's covered. Good shoes, clothing, backpack, snacks, water, med kit, compass, and flashlight.

Its a relatively short hike so I can't think of anything else that I will need, but I thought I might as and see if any other more experienced hikers could weigh in and mention something I am forgetting or give advice.

Thanks in advance!

I think you've everything, the most inportant thing is the company....so you don't get bored and you enjoy with someone...