Birthday Cheat day

Options
2»

Replies

• MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    A lot. This is a lifestyle that you want to maintain for life. Cheat days just invite you back to the old you.

Yeah that massive "cheat" I had on my birthday almost exactly 1 month ago really cost me. I was at about 45 pounds lost then and now I'm only at 60 :\
  • mr_mitch
    mr_mitch Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    jesus h, it's your birthday. live a little.

I agree with this guy!

Life comes first!
  • ClinicalTrial
    ClinicalTrial Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Its fine, ive. Lost 42lb in ten weeks and i treat myself every saturday, whilst all the other days i mantain a healthy diet.

You can afford to treat yourself on a weekly basis because you burn more simply resting on a daily basis at that weight.
  • mrsdmiller74
    mrsdmiller74 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I do believe in cheat days, that's just me. We take one meal (breakfast, lunch or dinner) and we eat pretty much what we want, but the catch for us is we still work out and stay with in our calorie goal. So far that works for me and my family. We have those days at least once or twice a month but my family enjoy trying new things. Like different ways to serve veggies. Did not releaize I could puree cauflower to make shrimp and grits. Any whooo it is a life style change but also I want to enjoy life as well. I don't think one day will hurt you.
    :laugh:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I have only been going a few weeks and lost 6 pounds but my weight day to day seems pretty erratic. I was contemplating a birthday cheat day with cake, steak and pancakes (my favs). How much damage can one blow out day do to my progress, do you think?

Today is my birthday. I have no plans on "cheating", but I may or may not indulge in what I choose. ;)
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking about this kind of stuff as "cheating". You should be developing a sustainable way of eating that is going to take you far beyond the weight loss aspect of this much bigger process. You didn't get to this point because of an occasion...you didn't get to this point because of a birthday or a holiday or even a random weekend BBQ. You are at this point because you treated every day like an occasion.

It's not cheating...it's a special occasion. Your birthday is one day of many days...how could that possibly be relevant to the whole?

If someone generally ate like **** all of the time, but on "occasion" decided that they'd eat all the chicken and broccoli and brown rice and then go for a run, what impact would that have on their overall healthy as a whole? Answer...none...it would be completely irrelevant given that most of the time they live an unhealthy lifestyle.

Love the analogy. :wink:
  • mr_mitch
    mr_mitch Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I have only been going a few weeks and lost 6 pounds but my weight day to day seems pretty erratic. I was contemplating a birthday cheat day with cake, steak and pancakes (my favs). How much damage can one blow out day do to my progress, do you think?

Today is my birthday. I have no plans on "cheating", but I may or may not indulge in what I choose. ;)

Happy birthday!!!

Screw the diet for a day and have a good piss-up!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking about this kind of stuff as "cheating". You should be developing a sustainable way of eating that is going to take you far beyond the weight loss aspect of this much bigger process. You didn't get to this point because of an occasion...you didn't get to this point because of a birthday or a holiday or even a random weekend BBQ. You are at this point because you treated every day like an occasion.

It's not cheating...it's a special occasion. Your birthday is one day of many days...how could that possibly be relevant to the whole?

If someone generally ate like **** all of the time, but on "occasion" decided that they'd eat all the chicken and broccoli and brown rice and then go for a run, what impact would that have on their overall healthy as a whole? Answer...none...it would be completely irrelevant given that most of the time they live an unhealthy lifestyle.

Everything cwolfman says.

The very word "cheat" implies that you are doing something bad or immoral. It's an occasion to eat whatever you want guilt-free. Think about it, it's just food!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Happy birthday!!!

Screw the diet for a day and have a good piss-up!

Seriously. I'm just bummed that there aren't any world cup games on. ;)
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Calories don't exist on your birthday. Eat your fave foods, but don't stuff yourself so much that it's hard to walk. Just enjoy the day, and get back on track the next day. Happy early birthday too!
  • lasombrs
    lasombrs Posts: 30
    Options
    I dont view them as cheat days. That to me means you aren't paying any attention to what you are eating and aren't logging it. I think that sets you back in the mindset of eating healthy. I still log everything i eat even if i am having cake. My daughters birthday was saturday. I had a piece of cake saturday, sunday and monday. I actually still came in under my goal every day. Saturday i just didnt eat much since i was playing hostess all day. But sunday and monday i ate like i usually would. I have pancakes a few times a month, i have steak constantly. But i know i want them and i eat lighter during the day. I took an hour long hike with the kids on sunday to earn my piece of birthday cake. etc. I think viewing it as cheating is what can set you back in the long run :)
  • ebbingfat
    ebbingfat Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    If you want cake, let yourself have the cake. Sticking to a rigid diet is going to make things tough, and it likely won't stick long term. You've gotta let loose and live a little bit.

Think about it like this: it takes 3500 calories to gain a pound. That means you have to eat 3500 calories over your maintenance caloriest to gain a single pound. So, lets say your maintenance is 2,200 calories. That means you'd have to eat 5,700 calories to gain a single pound.

And lets say you did hypothetically eat 5,700 calories. Lets say you just inhaled the whole cake. When all is said and done... it's just one pound.

So what matters more to you? One pound, or enjoying yourself on your birthday. If it were me, I'd take the cake.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I'm going to eat a whole cake on my birthday!

Not really....... but probably.

It's once a year!
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    If you want cake, let yourself have the cake. Sticking to a rigid diet is going to make things tough, and it likely won't stick long term. You've gotta let loose and live a little bit.

Think about it like this: it takes 3500 calories to gain a pound. That means you have to eat 3500 calories over your maintenance caloriest to gain a single pound. So, lets say your maintenance is 2,200 calories. That means you'd have to eat 5,700 calories to gain a single pound.

And lets say you did hypothetically eat 5,700 calories. Lets say you just inhaled the whole cake. When all is said and done... it's just one pound.

So what matters more to you? One pound, or enjoying yourself on your birthday. If it were me, I'd take the cake.

Very nice logic. I like dat. :flowerforyou:
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    I'm going on vacation next week and don't plan to count a single calorie. I am going to eat what I want, though I will still be mindful of portions. It isn't going to take away the progress I've made. At most, I may gain a pound or five of water weight, maybe even a real pound, but it'll come right back off when I return to my usually scheduled program.
  • sashamarie989
    sashamarie989 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Pick one of your favorites. Why do you need to have all of them in one day. They say when you want to cheat have a cheat meal not a cheat day.
  • JaneLane33
    JaneLane33 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    calories do not exist on my birthday. It only happens once a year so I enjoy it guilt free.