Women that Lift: What program are you using?

Options
StrongLifts 5x5? Starting Strength? New Rules for Women? Something different? Your own program you designed? What program did you start with vs. what you're doing now?

Also, how long have you been lifting?

Replies

• clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    started with NROL4W and most of my friends do that program :) I will be starting Stronglifts on Monday or Tuesday... I liked NROL4W.. just after stage 1 it becomes very long and at the moment, I don't have 1.5 hours to do it ... I will go back to it at a later date tho :)

I am still a newb :bigsmile:
  • missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I have a trainer at Spa Lady (my gym)... Been lifting with her since June of last year. I also do P90X3 at home.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I don't follow a program. I did browse the 5X5 program once and sort of do a variation of that I guess. I just do the standard three sets of reps weights (upper body) and squats with heavy weight and I aim for muscle failure. That's it. I like to keep things simple. It seems to be working for me. I started about a month ago and am seeing some great results in my muscle tone (arms and legs). I was previously very striated and some of that has gone away. A teeny bit more bulk now vs. just skin, bones and sheer muscle. I like it. Good luck :smile:

I also find that using my own body weight and resistance works better than actual weights or heavy bars. I asked a trainer about this and she said because your own body weight and resistance is based upon natural and organic movement vs. holding steady form when lifting. That makes sense to me and I do gain a lot more strength and focus from doing it that way. But it takes a lot more reps to get to failure!
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Currently I'm doing PHUL (Power Hypertrophy Upper Lower) with a bit of Strong Curves mixed in. I've done Stronglifts and Starting Strength which are both great for beginners. But after I mastered the basic lifts I was bored and needed more variety. I did PHUL for 12 weeks, then a round of Strong Curves for 12 weeks. Out of everything I've tried PHUL is handsdown my fav, but I'm keeping those hip thrusts and glute bridges from SC in my programming. I've been lifting for a little under a year now.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    stronglifts 5x5... actually doing this for the 2nd time, I did it before then various life issues got in the way (my bad, no excuses) so I'm basically doing it again, kind of thinking it as like a mega deload... after that will probably move to an intermediate programme I'll see how it goes (i.e. moving to an intermediate programme when I've got the max out of 5x5
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I am just finishing Nia Shank's 54321 and will start her muscle sculpting program. I finished Strong Curved Advanced Gluteal Goddess before I discovered my idol Nia. I have been lifting for 8 months. I did a bit of NROL4W before SC
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I design my own programs - Good mix of all the Compound Lifts w/some isolation work
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Windows 95
  • RushBabe_214
    RushBabe_214 Posts: 115
    Options
    I design my own programs - Good mix of all the Compound Lifts w/some isolation work

This is what I do now. After years of lifting, reading, and researching, I find that doing things this way suits me best.

I began lifting 15 years ago using the Body For Life program. I discovered Cathe Friedrich workouts a couple of years ago when I first joined MFP.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

This is what I do as well... I focus on certain body parts on different days. I started doing SL 5X5 and evolved from that.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm running Sheiko- this is my 3rd rotation- first one I stopped 3/4 of the way through- (they moved my meet I was prepping for) second one I ran Sheiko 29 all the way out- and now I'm doing Sheiko 30. it's long- takes me typically 2 solid hours if not a little more to get through. making progress though.

I've been lifting for almost 2 decades. This is the first year I've ever run programs- I was bored at first- then I was having psychological issues showing up to the gym b/c of the program at the time- now it's back to business as usual.
    I don't follow a program. I did browse the 5X5 program once and sort of do a variation of that I guess. I just do the standard three sets of reps weights (upper body) and squats with heavy weight and I aim for muscle failure. That's it. I like to keep things simple. It seems to be working for me. I started about a month ago and am seeing some great results in my muscle tone (arms and legs). I was previously very striated and some of that has gone away. A teeny bit more bulk now vs. just skin, bones and sheer muscle. I like it. Good luck :smile:

I also find that using my own body weight and resistance works better than actual weights or heavy bars. I asked a trainer about this and she said because your own body weight and resistance is based upon natural and organic movement vs. holding steady form when lifting. That makes sense to me and I do gain a lot more strength and focus from doing it that way. But it takes a lot more reps to get to failure!
    couple things- training to failure is typically NOT a good plan. And with a month under your belt of lifting- you are aiming for some serious joint/ligament injury along with other assorted issues including early stalls.

And body weight works better than actual weight for what??

Training to failure does not make you stronger- training to failure typically means training muscle endurance. But it usually does not actually make you stronger.

and said trainer is an idiot. there is nothing more natural than squatting or dead lifting.
    If you use a bathroom- or have used one- and or have ever done your business outside- you've squatted.
    If you pick something up off the floor- you've dead lifted.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    SL5x5 since May 3, 2014. Loving it so far.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I've been running my own programming for the last year and a bit, after lifting with a trainer fro a year and a half before that, and off and on for 20 years on my own before that.

While I've seen fantastic results, very strongly thinking of paying for programming and coaching in the near future.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    I'm running Sheiko- this is my 3rd rotation- first one I stopped 3/4 of the way through- (they moved my meet I was prepping for) second one I ran Sheiko 29 all the way out- and now I'm doing Sheiko 30. it's long- takes me typically 2 solid hours if not a little more to get through. making progress though.

I've been lifting for almost 2 decades. This is the first year I've ever run programs- I was bored at first- then I was having psychological issues showing up to the gym b/c of the program at the time- now it's back to business as usual.

couple things- training to failure is typically NOT a good plan. And with a month under your belt of lifting- you are aiming for some serious joint/ligament injury along with other assorted issues including early stalls.

And body weight works better than actual weight for what??

Training to failure does not make you stronger- training to failure typically means training muscle endurance. But it usually does not actually make you stronger.

and said trainer is an idiot. there is nothing more natural than squatting or dead lifting.
    If you use a bathroom- or have used one- and or have ever done your business outside- you've squatted.
    If you pick something up off the floor- you've dead lifted.

Wow really?

And you know this because you live in my body and you live my life and know exactly what works for me is that right?

Well jeez, thanks for setting me straight, you obviously know everything and what works best so I better tuck my tail and just start living my life by your standards. The truth is.... your opinion and advice, specifically on how to work MY body, are of no consequence to how I live my life so unless you're addressing the OP kindly mind your business.

The end.
  • May_Rose
    May_Rose Posts: 119 Member
    Options

^ Me too. I switch up my program every four months or so.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Wow really?

And you know this because you live in my body and you live my life and know exactly what works for me is that right?

Well jeez, thanks for setting me straight, you obviously know everything and what works best so I better tuck my tail and just start living my life by your standards. The truth is.... your opinion and advice, specifically on how to work MY body, are of no consequence to how I live my life so unless you're addressing the OP kindly mind your business.

The end.

I don't know that because I know your body-calm down

I know that because that's the way training works- those are not opinions.
    Training too much weigh to fast- the muscles can get significantly stronger than the ligaments and joints-and can cause injury: fact
    Training to failure is not successful for progressive lifting. Fact.

You may LIKE training to failure- but it's not the best way to develop strength.

And I specifically asked a question because this statement doesn't make ANY sense
    I also find that using my own body weight and resistance works better than actual weights or heavy bar
    better than what?
    better FOR what?

I'm not here to try to dictate your life- it's a public forum- if you don't want people asking/talking about it- then don't post.

Other people read this- they can learn from these things - also- it's not about me judging you or trying to cram my life into yours. You read WAY to much into my post.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    All Pro. A year
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I do a program that was written for me by a friend I met in the desert in 2010. It's basically Stronglifts, though.

ETA: I've adapted it to dumbbells instead of barbells though, since that's all I have available to me at this time.
  • Flab2Fab27
    Flab2Fab27 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Wow really?

The end.

I don't know that because I know your body-calm down

I know that because that's the way training works- those are not opinions.
    Training too much weigh to fast- the muscles can get significantly stronger than the ligaments and joints-and can cause injury: fact
    Training to failure is not successful for progressive lifting. Fact.

You may LIKE training to failure- but it's not the best way to develop strength.

And I specifically asked a question because this statement doesn't make ANY sense
    I also find that using my own body weight and resistance works better than actual weights or heavy bar
    better than what?
    better FOR what?

I'm not here to try to dictate your life- it's a public forum- if you don't want people asking/talking about it- then don't post.

Other people read this- they can learn from these things - also- it's not about me judging you or trying to cram my life into yours. You read WAY to much into my post.

bb61ebd4d970b20a3c8b33a6e5e2250c941d3a15bee37916c53c70e2940b49a6.jpg