When do you weigh?

Options
I'm a little OCD about numbers, so it is very easy for me to get a bit obsessive about my weigh ins. In theory, and according to my personal weight loss plan, I am only supposed to weigh once a week, but I find myself jumping on the scale pretty much every single morning. On days that I do weigh it has to be as soon as I wake up in the morning, after biological needs are taken care of but before eating or drinking anything, and it has to be sans clothes. I feel like this gives me the best and most accurate picture of what my true body weight is.

Replies

• josephisreaching
    Options
    same - once a week.
    first thing in morning before eating or drinking anything.
    no clothes for the most accurate number
    but the scale isn't everything - remember to go by how you feel and look
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm a little OCD about numbers, so it is very easy for me to get a bit obsessive about my weigh ins. In theory, and according to my personal weight loss plan, I am only supposed to weigh once a week, but I find myself jumping on the scale pretty much every single morning. On days that I do weigh it has to be as soon as I wake up in the morning, after biological needs are taken care of but before eating or drinking anything, and it has to be sans clothes. I feel like this gives me the best and most accurate picture of what my true body weight is.

Only when at the doctors office. I use a favorite dress and a pair of jeans as my scale. :smile:
  • alondrasilva10
    Options
    I do weigh everyday because I'm curious. But only take the first weigh in out of the week seriously (meaning, it's the only number I write down).
  • xoxsahara
    xoxsahara Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I try to only step on the scale on Sunday mornings!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Same, every morning, but iI watch trends rather than day-to-day fluctuations.
  • Serenitynow29
    Serenitynow29 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Same, every morning, but iI watch trends rather than day-to-day fluctuations.

This round, weighing daily!remembering to look at calendar, & logging my food helps me understand what is going on. I actually log the weight here as well it helps me see a downward trend.
  • Pjames95
    Pjames95 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I weight every day, I find it helpful, despite the myth that says it's counterproductive, I've read evidence that suggests it helps with weight loss. Though I'm only interested in the long term trend. Wearing clothes though I'm not bothered about exact accuracy, my scales are terrible anyway.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I'm OC about doing it every day first thing in the morning after waking up before eating or drinking but after going to the toilet if need be, only my jocks on. Sometimes i do it twice if i've done a particulary energetic day

I'm not overly OC if the numbers don't change every day, it's just a guide to me however
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    pretty nearly every day, around 12:30am. Yeah it's a weird time but I go to bed at 8 and wake up for the first time around then, so I do the whole "pee-strip-weigh" thing then, have a glass of water, and go back to bed! It's the only time that I consistently am awake with no extra food/drink in me. It works, since what I'm looking for is the overall downward trend.
  • yonzi
    yonzi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Trying to just weigh in on Sunday morning, the little ups and downs of daily weigh ins can be
    depressing :)
  • jamesryanfletcher
    jamesryanfletcher Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I weigh everyday, first thing in the morning after the lavatory and before the shower. I also calculate a trend (using a spreadsheet) that makes each day's observation less significant so fluctuations aren't as stressful.

If you want to see how to calculate a trend, google 'hacker diet' and skip to the pencil and paper chapter.
  • peter_rotten
    peter_rotten Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Every friggin' morning. Wake up, get naked, use bathroom, weigh.
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    I jump on the scale every other day just to check where I am at. It helps me control my body and catch something ahead of time and make adjustments if needed. However, I only log or actually count my Thursday morning weigh ins as the actual loss :)
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I hop on the scale daily M-F, after workout and shower, before food, just to track what I've put in my body. I record friday's weight, to reflect all my hard work of the week before I take the weekend off from tracking/logging to be with my family. :)
  • LessHeavyVeggie
    LessHeavyVeggie Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Similar to yourself (and others), I weigh pretty much everyday (morning, naked, empty) but I record my weight on Mondays and view that as the 'official' weigh in.

I find it helps me to check in everyday because then I know how I'm doing, and I'm used to the fluctuations so I know not to panic if the number goes up slightly etc.
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    On days that I do weigh it has to be as soon as I wake up in the morning, after biological needs are taken care of but before eating or drinking anything, and it has to be sans clothes. I feel like this gives me the best and most accurate picture of what my true body weight is.

I do the same
  • Lynn5707
    Lynn5707 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I think I have a problem, I weigh multiple times daily. My "official" weight is when I weigh in at Weight Watchers on Fridays.
  • rosehips60
    rosehips60 Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    On days that I do weigh it has to be as soon as I wake up in the morning, after biological needs are taken care of but before eating or drinking anything, and it has to be sans clothes. I feel like this gives me the best and most accurate picture of what my true body weight is.

I do the same
    Me too, on Friday mornings. I only weigh in once a week, I don't want to fall into the weighing too often trap
  • thatsrontoyou
    thatsrontoyou Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week...at work on a manual scale. Same time, same day of the week. I have also learned not to get discouraged by the numbers. I pay more attention to how my clothes fit--or don't---than anything else.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options

I think every morning with the same routine (after using the toilet) and wearing the same thing each time (be it PJ's, underwear, nude, etc...) is a great routine for keeping it real. It works during weight loss. It works during maintenance. It works during weight gain. Yes, the obvious fluctuations of water retention, dehydration, DOMS, salt intake, etc....will all contribute to the needle moving around a bit. But who wouldn't want to know the daily snapshot?

I also use the scale before and after cardio exercise - especially in the summer when running or cycling outside - to track how I am doing with my hydration. No need to guess on how many bottles of water I should drink, I just follow the body percentage loss to know who much I am losing during exercise.

The other day, even though I wasn't riding that hard, the heat and humidity were so nasty that I lost 4% of body weight water loss on one bike ride of less than 2 hours in duration!!! The last 30 minutes had me struggling to get up the hills and make it home in one piece.

I use this chart to know and make adjustments....

9236868008_a2c5e3a753.jpg

The scale can be an excellent tool to use in your daily routine as long as you keep a routine and understand the normal fluctuations.