Running 1 mile VS Walking 3 miles?

Options
I have been running 1/2 to 1 mille 3 days a week. But the last two days a friend has gone with me and she only wants to walk 3 miles. I am trying to lose 2 lbs a week but I feel like the walking is just not enough.
I would apprecaite any and all of your input!

Replies

• SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Well, if you walk FAST then you do get a good cardio workout. Walking is great because it allows your muscles to do what they were made for, and builds your endurance. Maybe go with her to walk (FAST!) and then run on the days you aren't with her?
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I know I have had a good cardio workout because by the time I am done, I can't go any farther. Whether that is 2 miles in 14 minutes or 4 miles in 32 minutes, you want to push yourself so that you are exhausted by the end of your run.
  • lukasmac
    lukasmac Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    ive read that you burn as many calories as walking as you do running...

if you run 1 mile it will be as much as if you walked it... you just burn at a slower rate walking yet it takes longer to complete the 1 mile walking versus running... if that makes sense.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Walking can be great, even if you are used to running. But the thing with walking is it is easy to slack off because our bodies are so used to doing it. I find that if I am very mindful when walking - keep up a good pace, use my arms, keep my abs tight, focus on pushing off with my legs, and walking up every hill that I can find (keep in mind I'm in the midwest - hills to me is anything not completely flat!) - I can feel like I've gotten a good workout just by walking. The distance/time thing is also key - if you are running 1 mile, you will have to walk 2-3 times that probably - so your friend's 3 mile workout may be just right!
  • YeaILift
    YeaILift Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    ive read that you burn as many calories as walking as you do running...

if you run 1 mile it will be as much as if you walked it... you just burn at a slower rate walking yet it takes longer to complete the 1 mile walking versus running... if that makes sense.

Can you link the article please?
  • shotoutinnj
    Options
    i would do both if you can the more the better i run 3 to 5 miles almost everyday and when my knee hurts i walk 3 to 5 miles on those days.if you can run go for it
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Not true about burning the same. I use a gps/heart rate monitor. I burn fewer calories per mile on my slower runs than I do on my faster runs.

For example: My faster training runs (8 minutes per mile) burn about 104-105 calories per mile. My slower runs (12 minutes per mile) burn about 90 calories per mile.

Not a huge difference unless you're really racking up the miles.
  • nsdodge
    nsdodge Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much you weigh and how fast you are going. At 5.0 mph, walking and running burn the same amount of calories. If you can only run a mile, you will burn more calories walking 3 briskly. However, running is also good for you because it raises your heart rate, which you would be less likely to get from walking.

Calories per Mile for 160 Pound Person:

Walking Running
    2.0 mph - 91 5.0 mph - 116
    2.5 mph - 87 6.0 mph - 121
    3.0 mph - 85 7.0 mph - 119
    3.5 mph - 83 8.0 mph - 123
    4.0 mph - 91 9.0 mph - 121
    4.5 mph - 102 10.0 mph - 131
    5.0 mph - 116

AINSWORTH BE, Haskell WL, Whitt MC, Irwin ML, Swartz AM, Strath SJ, O'Brien WL, Bassett DR Jr, Schmitz KH, Emplaincourt PO, Jacobs DR Jr, Leon AS. "Compendium of Physical Activities: An update of activity codes and MET intensities." Med Sci Sports Exerc 2000;32 (Suppl):S498-S516.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    Actually at 5MPH you don't burn the same, you actually burn more walking because the body is working that much harder to propel itself forward at that point. Runner's world posted an article on a study about the expenditure from running and walking. Here it is. I wish I could walk at 5-5.5MPH I'll say that much.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304-311-8402-0,00.html