did anyone start working out and dieting with a friend?

Options
Three months ago I started doing the eating right and working out thing with a friend of mine. I'm just wondering why is it she's shed so much weight! we work out together and almost eat the same things. It's driving me nuts! She's lost close to 60 lbs while I haven't even lost half of that. I feel discourage...

Replies

• elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Don't feel discouraged! Your counter says 22 pounds, and that is AWESOME! You HAVE had success! It is so tempting to compare to other people, but everybody is different and weight loss is an individual journey. Even if you have a lot of support, in the end it is still up to you - and it sounds like you have been making some great choices and have been doing a GREAT job!
  • BunnyDVP
    BunnyDVP Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged. My BFF and I are sharing a personal trainer 3 times a week at they gym and we are exercising 5 times a week. She is losing but my weight goes up and down. :frown: And I have had a gastric bypass. Our trainer says not to worry that every person's metabolism is different. And remember, muscle weighs more than fat. Just keep on working out and if you can afford a personal trainer you might want to try one for at least a month. They offer a lot of insight into how to exercise properly.

My BFF and I both are on the treadmill for 50 minutes each day. I burn 265 to 315 calories (depending on the incline and speed) and she burns around 165 calories. We both need to keep our heart rate between 96 and 105. Her incline is 0.5 and her speed is 0.5. I have to have an incline of 4.5 and a speed of 2.5 to achieve my heart rate. Our trainer says she may cut me back on the cardio because I don't take in enough calories and that will cause some weight gain.

So (as they say "to make a long story short") we are all different and you should not worry about the difference in weight loss between you and your friend. Just concentrate on yourself.

Take care and keep up the good work in this new journey of your life.:flowerforyou:
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Everyones body is different, we all lose weight at different speeds, also your friend maybe doing something a little extra that she hasn't shared with you....

How is your water intake? How is your sodium intake?

Good through your diets with a fine tooth comb, including any junk, that you may not have listed, and try and see what maybe different......
  • nonoark
    nonoark Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I started with my brother in law (311lbs 6'2) and I was 275 5'6". He exercises less, eats most of the same food that I pre-pair (to keep him on tract) and eats other things that are higher in carbs. He ranges at least 5lbs less at any given time than I do. I feel good with all that I am doing and feel that this is still the right choice for me. As long as I see my numbers go down then I am fine. It can be hard when he is so excited by loosing more. I remind myself that his metabolism is different and his schedule is more normal than mine (he is 2nd shift while I am on 3rd). What ever my consoling treatment is to make it "feel better" at least I know I am not giving up and still doing what is needed.
    Do not give up. She may be able to take it off faster, but she is still in the same boat we all are. No two people are the same. Time will give you what you are looking for if you stick with it. Good luck, your frustration is felt.