counting steps at work..

Options
Does anyone, who has maybe an office job like myself, count the steps they make at work as exercise? Just curious what other people do..

Replies

• str8bowbabe
    str8bowbabe Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I use a fitbit to keep out of the steps I take but I do not log them as an actual exercise. Fitbit will sync the cal burn and log it. I just use the fitbit to tell me "hey you haven't walked enough today...get up and talk a walk."
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I wear a Fitbit, so it calculates (estimates) my daily TDEE based on all available steps that I take during the day, whether they're a few here and there in the office or dedicated exercise time, and I get an adjustment one way or the other.

That said, without some kind of activity tracker, I would just estimate your daily run of the mill walking in your daily activity level (sedentary, lightly active, etc., whatever you believe is most accurate) and then only count as "exercise" (as in, what you log as extra calories) if you do something specifically for exercise.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    I only count exercise as things I do as a workout. So no, I don't count walking around at work, or things like mowing the lawn/gardening, shopping, cleaning, etc etc. Unless I'm consciously doing something that I consider exercise, I just consider part of my day and don't track it/eat back any calories.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have my MFP setting as sedentary so the two 15 min breaks I have I walk about a mile each and I count that when I do walk. But as far as the extra steps I do(stairs, to copier, to fax, to lunch) I do not count.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Unless I get 15,000 in, I tend not to count it. When I get 15,000+ in, I will mark it as something slight, like 60 minutes at a leisurely pace, which counts for a couple hundred calories. Otherwise, I fit it into my "moderate exercise" fitness level setting, as I work out every day on top of that. I have the exercises already fit into my macros, so I don't eat back any of my exercise calories anyway.
  • ljminto
    ljminto Posts: 52
    Options
    Thanks for the input ya'll! I appreciate all the advice! :)
  • bethanytapp
    bethanytapp Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I use a footstep app on my phone and count steps all day long...but only count anything over 8000 steps as exercise. I think a normal day for me (without intentional exercise) is only 4500-6000, but I figure this gives some leeway for logging mistakes.

This has worked for me and is how I've lots all my weight.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i have an app on my phone called s health that tracks steps.

i aim to get in at least 10K steps not counting workouts. i get my steps in by taking the long way to meetings, choosing the far away printer, and taking the long way to the break room. with that and the steps i take because of public transportation im usually very close to my goal.