If you give a squirrel a dish of water.....

Options

Replies

• PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,277 Member
    Options
    Weird thread relation to my morning (mourning)...there was a trash can on the back porch that had water in it...I found a dead and very bloated squirrel in it this morning. :cry: Poor thing went to get water and couldn't get out. There's always a bowl of water on the railing for the cats and I see rhe squirrels use it daily too...well, except the one I found that is. :ohwell:
  • tegalicious
    tegalicious Posts: 629
    Options
    Weird thread relation to my morning (mourning)...there was a trash can on the back porch that had water in it...I found a dead and very bloated squirrel in it this morning. :cry: Poor thing went to get water and couldn't get out. There's always a bowl of water on the railing for the cats and I see rhe squirrels use it daily too...well, except the one I found that is. :ohwell:

I has a sadz nao
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,277 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it sucked.

I quickly scanned for any other traps, but all was well. I hate learning a lesson at the expense of another life.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    if a bunch of wild squirrels are lying around acting like they're ill or dying, maybe see if there's an animal rescue centre that works with wild animals. I don't think a saucer of water would make any difference if they're ill or dying. They're wild animals, they know how to find water.

It is just the littlest one of the few squirrels that come around the area and eat food I leave out. The others seemed fine.

it's probably sick or injured and also probably dying... there's not much you can do, you could see if it'll take water it might make it feel better, but it's probably going to die unless you know or can find a vet that'll treat wild animals.

I will keep an eye on him/her. It scampered away after laying on the patio for about 20 minutes.

that's a good sign... but generally speaking wild animals are very timid and will not lie around where they can easily be seen by predators if they have a choice.
  • tegalicious
    tegalicious Posts: 629
    Options
    if a bunch of wild squirrels are lying around acting like they're ill or dying, maybe see if there's an animal rescue centre that works with wild animals. I don't think a saucer of water would make any difference if they're ill or dying. They're wild animals, they know how to find water.

It is just the littlest one of the few squirrels that come around the area and eat food I leave out. The others seemed fine.

it's probably sick or injured and also probably dying... there's not much you can do, you could see if it'll take water it might make it feel better, but it's probably going to die unless you know or can find a vet that'll treat wild animals.

I will keep an eye on him/her. It scampered away after laying on the patio for about 20 minutes.

that's a good sign... but generally speaking wild animals are very timid and will not lie around where they can easily be seen by predators if they have a choice.

I have been leaving food for them for about 6 months now. They will let me watch them from behind the window. They run off if I open the door.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

I have been leaving food for them for about 6 months now. They will let me watch them from behind the window. They run off if I open the door.

that's cute :smile: I hope it gets better from whatever was wrong with it...

squirrels are quite intelligent... they can solve problems to get food.
  • RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    GIF-Squirrel-gets-scared-by-a-water-balloon1.gif
  • RavenhairedWoman
    Options
    squirrel-gif.gif
  • RavenhairedWoman
    Options
    c2wRFnh.gif
  • RavenhairedWoman
    Options
    article-2113542-121E5937000005DC-35_634x683.jpg
  • RavenhairedWoman
    Options
    cute-squirrel-drinking-fountain-400x308.jpg
  • RavenhairedWoman
    Options
    3Lnv0tb.png
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    GIF-Squirrel-gets-scared-by-a-water-balloon1.gif
    OMG! Too funny!! :laugh:
    Maybe he will ski in it?
    post-20253-Water-Skiing-Squirrel-Gif-3sUS.gif
  • RavenhairedWoman
    Options
    squirrel-stew1.jpg
  • RavenhairedWoman
    Options
    My work here is done Tega. I have provided gifs and pictures as demanded. (^_^)
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    It will drown....then you would need to learn squirrel CPR...

Rabies. Never once.

There has never been a recorded squirrel to human rabies transmission. Of course it would suck to go down in medical history as the first!
  • RavenhairedWoman
    Options
    XB5za36669.jpg
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    He's gonna want a straw to go with it. And if you give him a straw, he'll want one with stripes which will remind him of your trip to the zoo to see the zebras...

YEEEESSS <3

Ahhh double yes!!!
    Totally what I was thinking! It was a great start to a story.
  • RavenhairedWoman
    Options
    daily_gifdump_362_05.gif
  • mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I feed the squirrel that comes to my door Oreo's. She's never asked for water or milk for that matter....lol!