How often do you weigh yourself??

Options
I use to be a slave to the scale when I was younger. And WW weighted me every week when I was on program. Last time I lost 60 pounds I would weigh myself once or twice a month.

So what do people feel is a good time line for weighing yourself?? I know some people don't even get on a scale and go by how their cloths fit. Or when they see the doctor??

Thanks and keep up the great work :)

Replies

• l3eware0f4ire
    l3eware0f4ire Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I weight myself every morning, cause I like spreadsheets, and graphs. :laugh: Doesn't bug me to much to go up a few pounds cause I know, from my graphs/spreadsheet its totally normal for me and it always goes back down. Usually with a loss added. :drinker:
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    This is really Dependant on your personal comfort level--what works for you. Because I had some ed issues a while ago, I weigh myself only once a month. So I'm due for a weigh pretty soon. Some people weigh themselves at the same time once a week. I think if you keep a healthy and realistic expectations, then you will know how often to weigh. If you're tracking overall weight loss for example, weighing every day may not give you a realistic idea. If you're interested in general fluctuations Dependant on what you have eaten, time of the month etc, everyday weighing may yield that sort of info. At a certain point, weighing too often isn't telling you anything. I used to weigh five times a day ten years ago. Counterproductive? Yes.
  • 1LadyKate
    1LadyKate Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I weight myself every morning, cause I like spreadsheets, and graphs. :laugh: Doesn't bug me to much to go up a few pounds cause I know, from my graphs/spreadsheet its totally normal for me and it always goes back down. Usually with a loss added. :drinker:

Agreed. I weigh myself every morning and generally log it very morning. I like to see the fluctuation.
  • widemajm
    widemajm Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Daily. It's a good way for me to monitor, but it's also motivating to see how the choices I made the day before effected my body. I know it's not the most accurate measurement of health. But I like knowing where I'm at! :)
  • littlefoot612
    littlefoot612 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Once a week works for me. Every Friday morning when I first get up, just before I step into the shower and before I have breakfast. I found that I vary too much (morning to night or day to day) to weigh daily and find it disheartening to see those fluctuating gains even though I know I have tracked, weighed and measured my food.
  • Tony_Von_Stryfe
    Tony_Von_Stryfe Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Daily
  • Kikilarue59
    Kikilarue59 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Every Monday Morning works for me.
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Every day, because fluctuations don't scare me much and I just like to know.
  • dirahl
    dirahl Posts: 1
    Options
    Sometimes it's daily, sometimes I'll go half a week without checking. I only record my weight in MFP once every week or two, however. That way I don't get too stuck on the fluctuations. I guess the question is whether you're the type at the doctor's office who likes to see the needle go in, or if you have to look away.
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I generally weigh myself in the morning, but I don't do it daily as much anymore since I am in the healthy weight range. I don't record a gain on MFP unless it sticks around for a few weeks. I don't record a loss for a week or so either. When I was losing steadily, I would record a loss right away and wait a few days to record a gain.
  • megantischner
    megantischner Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Generally 1-2 times per week, because I *don't* want to see the daily fluctuation.
  • erkerns
    erkerns Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    My general rule has always been to weigh myself once a week. The same day, at the same time, in the same circumstances. Recently, however, I have been having a problem with staying on track during the weekends. My official "weigh-in day" is Monday, but now I also weigh myself on Friday so I can see the effects of my weekend eating.

The other week, for example, I lost 2.5 lbs from Monday to Friday. Then, when I weighed myself on Monday after a particularly loose weekend, I was back up the 2.5 lbs! I kept that in mind the next weekend and did much much better.

It's all about what works for you and your lifestyle, really.
  • missbirrell
    missbirrell Posts: 133
    Options
    I record my weight Mondays. Monday morning, scales in the kitchen, butt naked.

I look at the scales most mornings which is such a bad habit, but I only record Mondays.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Every 3-4 weeks. And pre and post marathon races.
  • CleanUpWhatIMessedUp
    CleanUpWhatIMessedUp Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, just out of curiosity, but I tend to really only take into account what I weigh on a week by week basis. I generally just keep my weight stored in my phone for every day and then at the end of the week, I delete everything except for the first and last day of each week. So I have my daily weight gain/loss there for the week and then once that week is over, I am only left with what I lost over the course of the entire week.
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    It was once a week...then obsession clicked in and it became once a day..trying once a week again! Only twitching a little bit now! Deep breathes....staying away from the scales!:bigsmile: :blushing: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :blushing:
  • Pusarah
    Pusarah Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Every morning when I get up but I only record it on Wednesdays. I like to see how its going...idk why, its different for everyone tho and like someone else said, depends on your personal comfort level. What works for one, won't for another, for a variety of reasons.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily usually but I don't stress over the number, I'm just curious.
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Daily so I can see this with trends. I have an idea about the choices I make and how they affect my weight (alcohol, weight rises for upto 2 days after). Parties and celebrations, goes up, not fat. but water retention due to too much salt.

CDanlS3.jpg

But you need to decide what works for you.

Edited for image size
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Daily--mostly to amuse myself. I love it when I have nachos really late at night, and I weigh in the morning one pound lighter than I did the day before. I record my weight once a week on MFP, though.