Not eating enough calories but eating tons

Options
So I just put in todays food-I eat fresh fruits and on fridays I am running so I eat wraps for lunch and Dinner-my total intake will be under 1100 calories. I feel very full and satisfied-I am eating healthy foods so should I increase or just wait another week or two as I am very new to this site.
Karen

Replies

• mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Add some avocado to your wrap. Or have a tablespoon of nut butter. Easy ways to get in some calories but not much volume.
  • cottonta1l
    cottonta1l Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Add some avocado to your wrap. Or have a tablespoon of nut butter. Easy ways to get in some calories but not much volume.

Yep, this. You just need to add in some more calorie dense foods, so healthy fats are always a good option. When I notice that I haven't eaten enough I usually grab some nuts and a banana, or just eat some peanut butter straight out of the tub.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Or eat nuts if you like them.
  • estaticaa
    estaticaa Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Eating only 1100 a day will evidently lead you to weight loss, but perhaps you will lose more than just weight if you keep that up. Muscle mass. Your health. Of course everyone is different, but in your place I'd increase my calorie intake, despite the fact that I already feel full and satisfied. You need nutrients to sustain you and to keep you healthy, so aim for nutrient dense foods, if you're going to reduce your calories that much. Also remember that you will lose weight just the same if you increase your calories a bit, and you'll keep your health in the long run. Your body will thank you for it in the end.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Take a good look at your food diary - routinely eating only 1100 calories may mean you're not getting enough protein or good fat to maintain good health. Omega 3 is very important and Avocados are an excellent source. Use olive oil on your dressings and make sure you get plenty of protein.

It's fine to be low occasionally but across the week you should try and average your targets.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Just eat some more food. Food is food don't get too bogged down in what is classified as 'healthy'. As long as it's a variety and balanced you'll cover the bases. If you have problems with amounts of physical volume of foods how about fruit juices/smoothies and milks.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Just peeked quickly at your diary... you ate 4.5 blackberries? 1/4 teaspoon honey? 1 oz of a homemade brownie?

But to increase calories stop using the fat free stuff, eat some peanut butter, nuts, or calorie dense foods. But I would suggest you take a look at the accurate logging link I posted because there are some issues in your diary.

Log your food accurately and honestly. Go for 80% good choices the other 20% don't worry so much about. I eat lots of delicious food and have consistently lost. Keep it simple find a REASONABLE deficit: Most people do not need to eat 1200 calories to lose.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=logging+step+guide

Find an activity you enjoy doing - I found I love to ride my bike and lift heavy stuff :)

Here are 2 more threads that will help take the time to read them:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Just peeked quickly at your diary... you ate 4.5 blackberries? 1/4 teaspoon honey? 1 oz of a homemade brownie?

But to increase calories stop using the fat free stuff, eat some peanut butter, nuts, or calorie dense foods. But I would suggest you take a look at the accurate logging link I posted because there are some issues in your diary.

Log your food accurately and honestly. Go for 80% good choices the other 20% don't worry so much about. I eat lots of delicious food and have consistently lost. Keep it simple find a REASONABLE deficit: Most people do not need to eat 1200 calories to lose.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=logging+step+guide

Find an activity you enjoy doing - I found I love to ride my bike and lift heavy stuff :)

Here are 2 more threads that will help take the time to read them:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you're+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Perfect. Read the links.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter sammich and a glass of milk. Or two.
  • lioness803
    lioness803 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're logging everything correctly. You could be underestimating and eating more calories than you think.
  • karenMcMillan0712
    karenMcMillan0712 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone-began weighing and measuring and yes 4 black berries-and the honey was part of a recipe- The brownie was at work and I took a taste-I began doing fruit smothies and eat Fish and chicken only. I was shocked when MVP said I needed to eat 200o calories a day. I am not one to count-I am eating to satisfy -Today is weigh day and I have lost one inch. I do alot of peanut butter with apple as a snack. I attempt to log correctly and accurately. Fridays are my tough days it is wraps on the go. and since I eat nothing after 7 pm so we will see what happens. I just want to eat to poop-As that was and is my main issue at this point on my life.
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    The OP is 50 and we have no idea how tall, active, etc. maybe all she needs is 1100 to lies weight. My BMR is only 1260 and I'm about the same age.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    You can eat more on other days - you just have to average your calories over the week, it's not a day to day thing.

You could add a nice treat at the end of the day - I have ice cream with fruit and nuts most nights. I usually have 1/4 cup with fruit and nuts for around 300 calories.

Or you could add nuts or figs or a glass of milk to other calorie dense items to your day. It doesn't take a lot to add a lot of calories.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    So I'm curious - and there may be a legit answer, so don't take this as calling you out.

Your tracker says you have 57 lbs to lose - that's considered a serious amount of weight loss as it's >10% of your overall body weight now. This being said, if you got to a point where you have that much to lose - how does only 1100 calories fill you up?

I have about 80 more to lose and I could honestly eat about 3,000 calories on a bad day - and that's not 3,000 calories worth of healthy food either.

How long have you been at this for? How much progress have you seen?

I am not saying 2,000 is the right path for everyone but usually, from what I've seen on here, people who are eating that much are on here to stay fit, not lose 50+ lbs.

I really am just curious because I know I got to be this big by eating way more than I was burning off, and by eating the wrong things.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    This being said, if you got to a point where you have that much to lose - how does only 1100 calories fill you up?

I have about 80 more to lose and I could honestly eat about 3,000 calories on a bad day - and that's not 3,000 calories worth of healthy food either.
    She implies she's new to this. It's very normal to feel full easily when your motivation is high, you're eating high fiber, low fat foods and your attention is laser focused on your diet, probably for the first time in years.

I agree with averaging across the week, and also give it a week before you feel like you have to force in more fats to hit some number.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    This being said, if you got to a point where you have that much to lose - how does only 1100 calories fill you up?

She implies she's new to this. It's very normal to feel full easily when your motivation is high, you're eating high fiber, low fat foods and your attention is laser focused on your diet, probably for the first time in years.

I agree with averaging across the week, and also give it a week before you feel like you have to force in more fats to hit some number.

Thanks for the information! I don't remember this when I first started, but it does make sense!
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Aye it makes sense your bodies energy reserves are basically full so you can eat 1100 calories a day and still feel fine. That almost definateley won't last. I remember even before I was watching my weight some days I would eat hardly anything cos I just didn't feel like it.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options

Thanks, this is very helpful!
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I've had the same issue. It was really rough all this week, because I caught a cold and just couldn't eat enough.

I did find a good way to get more healthy calories in quick, though: Put raw cashews, blueberries, and raw sunflower seeds in a baggy (weigh them out, or at least measure them, they're calorie dense little things!). Add salt to your taste preference. Delicious, nutritious, calorie rich. You can substitute raisins if you want to make a batch that lasts longer than the blueberries will keep.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    So I just put in todays food-I eat fresh fruits and on fridays I am running so I eat wraps for lunch and Dinner-my total intake will be under 1100 calories. I feel very full and satisfied-I am eating healthy foods so should I increase or just wait another week or two as I am very new to this site.
    Karen
    Hi Karen, welcome.

If you're eating lower calorie foods but feeling full, you add some more calorie dense food into your diet. Do you like almonds or almond butter, peanuts or peanut butter, other kinds of nuts, dried chickpeas fish, steak, chicken? Even if you don't like to snack, you can chop up 28 grams of cashews for that wrap and it will add about 160-170 calories.

What about some salmon? Grilled or steamed, it has about 58 calories per ounce. Gee, just a couple of ounces adds 116 calories.

Do you like breakfast? If you do,then have you tried oatmeal (I use Bob's Red Mill organic whole oats, but you cam use any kind you like) with 16 grams of peanut butter, fruit, and coconut milk?

These are just examples of some stuff I eat to keep my calorie count up.

The mistake many people make when it comes to calorie restriction is they think you have to eat all low calorie and/or low fat foods. The secret to weight loss is keeping all the foods you love but eating less of it so that you are eating at a calorie deficit.

My diary is public. Feel free to take a peek if you want.