started a week ago and haven't seen the scale move?

Options
I have been really good with getting back on track this last week and working out everyday but haven't seen that darn scale move. Has anyone else had this happen? How long before you saw a change on the scale?

Replies

• beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    It has only been a week relax! Make sure you are measuring your food, logging it accurately and working out and everything will fall into place.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It's only been one week. That's not enough time to tell whether or not a routine is working for you. Our bodies have a tendency to hold onto some extra water weight when you start or increase an exercise program, which can mask any fat loss that's happening.

You're logging everything you eat? Including condiments, cooking oils, veggies, cheat days, etc? Are you using a food scale, measuring cups, or eyeballing your portion sizes? Most people can be off in their estimates by a whole lot when they eyeball portions. Measuring cups are better, but a food scale is always going to be the most accurate.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1290491-how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale

And make sure that you've calculated your calorie goals appropriately. Remember that these are just estimates. You may need to play around a little to find what works best for you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

If you're exercising and eating back your earned exercise calories, be sure that you're using accurate estimates of your burn. MFP and gym machines have a tendency to overestimate certain activities, which can cause you to eat back more calories than you need to. Even a heart rate monitor isn't 100% accurate. If you're eating those extra earned calories it might be a good idea to eat only 50-75% of those.
  • lattanicole
    lattanicole Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    :happy: Thank you guys! I have a tendency to be a bit impatient but really want to make this one stick. Thanks!!!
  • lukewind
    lukewind Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that the body is a weird and strange thing. My weekly weight loss takes a weird bell curve. I will weigh myself on monday and have lost 3-4 pounds, and then I will weight again on friday and I will be be 4-5 pounds heavier, but then when I weigh myself on that next monday I will be down another 4 pounds past the last monday weight. Its a weird cycle my body has and everyones seems to be different based off of what they eat and your body makeup. You may not have lost any weight the first week, but the next day you could wake up and be a few pounds lighter.
  • mollymcdonald0
    mollymcdonald0 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It took me a few weeks! keep going :)
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    You're probably eating to much still. Easy to do at first.
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    A week is too early to tell. Make sure you measure everything and watch your sodium intake if you're not already. It might just be water retention. Easy does it and don't give up!
  • AsianSnowFlake30
    Options
    A week? Losing weight isn't an easy quick process. Also look at your body, these numbers can be disheartening. I weighed myself every day, but I was getting frustrated. Remember muscle weighs more than fat and keep going. Good luck!
  • healthymissfit
    healthymissfit Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    You should consider joining my NO WEIGH JULY group dearest, it'll help the time go by faster while you continue losing! ;)
  • pope66682
    pope66682 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Remember muscle weighs more than fat

1lb of fat vs. 1lb of muscle... They weigh the same, just saying. Fat has more "mass" over muscle. So you could weigh the same, but still look thinner.

Don't pay attention to the scale so much (easier said than done), your weight will fluctuate but your body will look different.
  • AsianSnowFlake30
    Options

1lb of fat vs. 1lb of muscle... They weigh the same, just saying. Fat has more "mass" over muscle. So you could weigh the same, but still look thinner.

Don't pay attention to the scale so much (easier said than done), your weight will fluctuate but your body will look different.

Oh, essentially what I meant. Lol. Thanks though. I think Google lied to me.
  • pope66682
    pope66682 Posts: 249 Member
    Options

Oh, essentially what I meant. Lol. Thanks though. I think Google lied to me.

:tongue:
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I have been really good with getting back on track this last week and working out everyday but haven't seen that darn scale move. Has anyone else had this happen? How long before you saw a change on the scale?

It's been said a lot of times; it's only been a week. Fat loss is not instant, when I started to eat in a caloric deficit, it took around 10 days for me to see any results.

If the scale isn't moving, there are some things to take into account.
    1. You could be retaining water - your muscles do this when you just start to exercise or you increase your salt intake.
    2. You don't see your body how other people see your body, it's just a matter of perception. eg lighting , areas you're looking at

Instead of looking at the scales, try to take measurements weekly instead. Scales aren't always accurate!
  • joshbond85
    joshbond85 Posts: 28
    Options

Actually, they have the same mass since weight is just what we call the force applied by gravity on mass (a "slug" in the english measuring system). Fat is less dense than muscle which means that the same mass or weight will consume more space (not as tightly packed).

This is why you can gain weight and still slim down. Fat is something like 1/3 as dense as muscle so each pound takes up 3 times more space.