mothers apron stomach

Options
is there anyone who has ever dealt with what is called a mothers apron stomach ? what worked for you ?

Replies

• asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Hi. I hate to say it but yes. What is it you were wanting to know. You can msg me if you like. :smile:
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    She wants to know how to gert rid of it
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Lose the fat. Fill the space with muscle.
  • Fit4sure
    Fit4sure Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    With the weight I had to lose, I totally had what you are talking about. The longer I was at goal weight, the better it got to a point. Not much of it left but it took longer to shrink and then it didn't shrink at all anymore. It's not noticeable with my clothes on...so I leave 'em on! (wink)

I did do a lot of ab exercises but it did nothing for the little bit that was left. It's loose skin not filled in but it looks far and away better than when that there apron was filled and overflowing. It was down pass my, er, um...pelvic region but not anymore. It's more of a pooch that sticks down about an inch or so. I was told that the fact that I lost my weight slowly (average 1.3 lbs. per week) was the saving grace for me that way. My mom had that stomach surgery done to "make" her lose weight and she has a bad problem with the "apron". For her...it won't shrink and she's looking at surgery if it bothers her. I'm glad I lost mine slow!

I had a ton of folks scare me about the loose skin problem and it almost side tracked me from the big picture. I'm glad I quit listening to folks and concentrated on getting healthy. While I do have loose skin, I can wear shorts and short sleeves (to a point) and I'm thrilled with the good health that came with the weight loss and eating healthy and exercise. Won't be doing the surgery...don't really need it and can't afford it anyway. I'm not interested in baring my midriff for all of creation except my husband and he says I'm "hot" so I'm happy.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, I have no idea what this is. Maybe there's another name for it?
  • sexymamadraeger
    sexymamadraeger Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    It's when you have a fat stomach and it hangs over. I think I've heard the term "kangaroo pouch" also.

I'm so GLAD to see this post and for the comments. I'm so embarrassed about how awful mine was after 2 kids and gaining so much weight. I'm 1/3 of the way on my weightloss journey and I'm seeing a lot of loose skin around my knees and stomach and arms. I'm sad because I know I did this to my body and I won't ever have my hot 18 yr old body back. But... I doubt I would anyway 20 yrs later! I'm glad to know it does get lots flatter. I don't care about bikinis. I just don't want to be tucking my loose skin into my jeans, ya know? It's gross.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i never heard it called that before, but looked it up, and yes - i sure do have that. and when i was much thinner and more muscular, i still had lots of empty skin in that area that did get smaller but definitely didn't go away. now i'm heavier, that area is the last to shrink down, and is large enough to require me to wear 1 to 2 sizes larger of clothing than the rest of me would need. and while it's shrinking as i lose weight, it seems to be shrinking the least.
  • ginamc04
    ginamc04 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    So many women have it (or had it) Its not an easy area to tackle but it can be done! Eat very lean foods. Minimal fruit and lots of veggies-but not veggies that bloat, like broccoli & brussel sprouts (my 2 favorites) I've been told to give up fruit, dairy, gluten and certain vegetables.

For exercise, weight training and High Intensity cardio.

Good Luck!
  • Ibettergetthisright
    Options
    thank you !
  • Ibettergetthisright
    Options
    With the weight I had to lose, I totally had what you are talking about. The longer I was at goal weight, the better it got to a point. Not much of it left but it took longer to shrink and then it didn't shrink at all anymore. It's not noticeable with my clothes on...so I leave 'em on! (wink)

I did do a lot of ab exercises but it did nothing for the little bit that was left. It's loose skin not filled in but it looks far and away better than when that there apron was filled and overflowing. It was down pass my, er, um...pelvic region but not anymore. It's more of a pooch that sticks down about an inch or so. I was told that the fact that I lost my weight slowly (average 1.3 lbs. per week) was the saving grace for me that way. My mom had that stomach surgery done to "make" her lose weight and she has a bad problem with the "apron". For her...it won't shrink and she's looking at surgery if it bothers her. I'm glad I lost mine slow!

I had a ton of folks scare me about the loose skin problem and it almost side tracked me from the big picture. I'm glad I quit listening to folks and concentrated on getting healthy. While I do have loose skin, I can wear shorts and short sleeves (to a point) and I'm thrilled with the good health that came with the weight loss and eating healthy and exercise. Won't be doing the surgery...don't really need it and can't afford it anyway. I'm not interested in baring my midriff for all of creation except my husband and he says I'm "hot" so I'm happy.

ok slow it is ! thank you
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    I still have another 100 lbs or more to loose but I already notice this. I can say overtime mine is slowly contacting :) It does not hang as low as it once did :) I can tell there is still a lot of loose skin but I am hoping with lots of working out it will help :) Either way I know it looks way better know than it did before and for that i am happy :)
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    So many women have it (or had it) Its not an easy area to tackle but it can be done! Eat very lean foods. Minimal fruit and lots of veggies-but not veggies that bloat, like broccoli & brussel sprouts (my 2 favorites) I've been told to give up fruit, dairy, gluten and certain vegetables.

For exercise, weight training and High Intensity cardio.

Good Luck!

That's all I agree with. Everything else is unnecessary.

Slow weight loss will often result in less loose skin. It helps the body adjust, plus you're less likely to jeopardize muscle, which is what helps you look leaner at goal.

Eat a balanced diet (no need to cut ANY food out, outside of in tolerances or allergies, etc), weightlifting or do resistance training, get a good amount of protein ( typically 1g per pound of lean body mass ) and have patience. You'll get there:flowerforyou:
  • ninja8tofu
    ninja8tofu Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have a little bit of one. I'm at an 80 weight loss over the last year and a quarter. I started stronglifts a little over a month ago and I'm noticing a difference in it's appearance. My ab area overall is noticeably different and I've only had a little over a pound of weight loss over this time. On top of that benefit, I LOVE lifting heavy weights, it's awesome. I still do some HIIT cardio because I enjoy it, but I've cut out the rest of my cardio.
  • CIA100
    CIA100 Posts: 4
    Options
    There is a school of thought that this part of the body can be trained. Much in the way Bras help breasts sag less wearing clothing or a "hold it up" compression garment be it a girdle or a specialty item like a Belly band (marketed to women for use just after birth to help with belly shrinkage) can help with reducing the hang of over belly apron. Gravity is part of why skin stretches these lifters counteract gravity. Corsets tend to push that fleshy bit down though they are the best know body shapers, I think one would want something that lifted and held snug.
  • sexymamadraeger
    sexymamadraeger Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea! Why not wear a belly band? No one could even tell.
  • brittaney0625
    brittaney0625 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I have one. A thick one. (luckily not too low hanging) I hate it. I want it gone. LOL

I am working out 5 days a week and walking a 5k several times a week. I am still a major work in progress when it comes to food though.

We can do this though. It takes focus, supporters, hard work, and dedication.
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I used to have a very large belly. I was also scared of the whole belly hang thing. Wanting to be healthy and fit made me not worry so much about what the outside looked like. I have a little ways left to go and would get there alot faster if i didnt love sweets so much but, as you can tell by my profile pic it has gone down a good bit.

I was 205 in the before and 133.4 now. I do have loose skin as well and probably always will but, its not the most important thing to worry about.
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I've had mine since I was about 9 years old. I think mine is just plain genetic :( It got worse after I had my daughter. I've lost almost 70 pounds since my highest weight, and it's definitely getting smaller. I don't think I'll ever be completely rid of it, that's just how my body is made. It pisses me off when people make fun of women who have it, because it's not like there's anything we can do about it. We can't choose how our bodies gain fat.
  • asia1967
    asia1967 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I've had mine since I was about 9 years old. I think mine is just plain genetic :( It got worse after I had my daughter. I've lost almost 70 pounds since my highest weight, and it's definitely getting smaller. I don't think I'll ever be completely rid of it, that's just how my body is made. It pisses me off when people make fun of women who have it, because it's not like there's anything we can do about it. We can't choose how our bodies gain fat.

I can't remember when I was that young, but I do remember having it when I was in my early teens. Even thou I hate it, and it is definitely one of the first things you notice about me, I am not focused on it nearly as much as I am to improve my overall health. I figure if I can lower my blood pressure, etc. that is what is going to keep me living many years down the road. The overhang is secondary and an annoyance more than anything. But it still does suck.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I've always called that a "Dunlap." You know, it done "lap over."