Does anyone have any recipes for cold/chilled soups

Querky
Querky Posts: 22
edited September 22 in Recipes
I love soup, all through winter it's my staple but now that it's coming into summer I'm not all too fond of hot soup for lunch or dinner.
So does anyone have any recipes for chilled soups?
I'm not too worried about how many calories are in them or whatever I just want some tasty recipes.
:smile:

Replies

• i was brought up on chilled borscht (i'm a russian jew:smile: ), which is a soup made of beets! it's bright magenta and tastes delicious.

i use the recipe from the silver palate cookbook. it's a long process, but it's amazing! here's the recipe:
    6 medium-size beets, peeled
    10 cups cold water
    juice of 3 medium-size lemons
    3 tablespoons granulated sugar
    2 teaspoons salt
    3 eggs
    1 cup milk
    sour cream and cucumber (garnish)

1. cut beets into halves. place them in soup pot with 10 cups cold water and bring to a boil. reduce heat and simmer partially covered until beets are tender, 30 to 40 minutes. skim foam from cooking liquid as necessary.
    2. remove beets from cooking liquid with a slotted spoon and cool to room temperature. grate the beets and return them to their cooking liquid along with the lemon juice, sugar and salt.
    3. return the stove and simmer for 15 minutes. remove from heat and let soup cool for 15 minutes.
    4. beat eggs and milk together in a bowl. gradually whisk 3 cups of the warm borscht into the eggs and milk. pour this mixture slowly back into the remaining borscht.
    5. cover the soup and refrigerate until very cold. taste and correct seasoning; the soup should be nicely balanced between sweet and sour.
    6. ladle into bowls and garnish with sour cream and diced cucumbers.

here's how mine turned out:

borscht1.jpg

i also have a fabulous gazpacho recipe. message me if you want it :)
  • Querky
    Querky Posts: 22
    Sounds good to me, I'll give that one a try :)
This discussion has been closed.