Running Shoe Issues

Options
omma_to_3
omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
I've been searching for new running shoes lately and been having a heck of a time. I was fitted at one store in a neutral shoe, kept them for a short time and returned them because they didn't work well - had some foot pain. I then went to a local physical therapist for a running eval (I have some form issues including a cross gait) who is well known for being excellent at fitting shoes (the physical therapy place is next door to a running store so they use their stock to fit people.

After my evaluation, he recommended a couple of shoes to try, but they didn't have a lot in my size to try that day. He stated that I'm a really difficult fit because while I have flat feet, I don't actually overpronate. That's why, out of the many times I've been fitted, half the time they pick neutral shoes and the other half they choose stability shoes.

Since then, I've tried about 8 or 9 different pairs. I'm also changing my stride at the same time so that greatly complicates shoe choice. Are those aches and pains because of the shoes or my change of stride?

I had a pair I liked - Saucony Ride 7 that was working pretty well. I tried a couple more pair to be sure. I really, really liked the Saucony Triumph 11. So much so, that after running about 7 miles in them (two runs of 3.5ish miles) I was sure I found 'the one'. Yay! So today, I sent back the last 3 reject pairs (I love Road Runner Sports' return policy!).

Then comes tonight. Hubby and I went for a walk. Just under a 3 mile walk - less distance then I run in these shoes. And...my feet hurt. Right at the ball of both feet - the bone under the big toe. It's sore. I was half expecting to find blisters on the bottom of my feet. I've never had an issue walking in my running shoes before and now I fear they won't work long term for running. Why would they feel great while running and terrible while walking? My last favorite shoe I wore doing the 60 mile breast cancer walk and had no issues at all. Anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• twopeas2
    twopeas2 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have flat feet and overpronate. I was fitted and ended up with Mizuno Wave Paradox, which are totally brilliant when running, but nowhere near as comfy for walking. I get a pain in one foot (I can't remember where lol), so don't wear them for walking if I can get away with it.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    Ran a 5K race today with no issues. So odd!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Why would they feel great while running and terrible while walking?

One possibility is you run with short strides but walk with long strides. The long stride bends the toe at a tighter angle, which can strain it.

KHFGLs3.jpg

You might try walking in a shoe with no raised heel, like skateboard shoes, Keds, etc. It produces a smoother gait. If you try it, post your results.
  • omma_to_3
    Options
    I've walked in my running shoes before (stability shoes) with no issues. I'm switching to neutral running shoes now and can't walk in them.
  • sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    I don't what would have caused your issue but I am a BIG fan of Superfeet. I've posted about them before, I love them so much. I never have any foot issues since a started using them, running, walking, anything. I only use the green ones. They're really amazing.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Running shoes are for... running.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I've walked in my running shoes before (stability shoes) with no issues. I'm switching to neutral running shoes now and can't walk in them.

Walking and running lead to different mechanical actions, therefore different wear patterns and functional loading on the shoe. While you may not have noticed the effects from walking in a stability shoe, given it's nature, it's possible that you're noticing the effect more in a neutral shoe.

Personally I have running shoes for running in and approach shoes, and mountain boots, for walking in.