Should I quit drinking?

13»

Replies

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    I quit because it hindered my training and goals in life. Quitting smoking was a much harder transition, since smoking didn't hinder my sleep or how I felt the next morning like alcohol did. It was easy to handle alcohol in my 20's but in my late 30's it turned on me.
  • There are some great points made in this thread and some not-so-great ones as well. As with any food/drink, don't cut out anything to lose weight that you don't plan on giving up forever. Seriously. Forever. If you lose the weight because you quit drinking, but start drinking again because you lost weight .. guess what will happen.

You can still drink and lose weight. With anything else, check your intake. Can you work it into your daily goals without sacrificing nutrients? Go for it!

Alcohol tastes great and is pleasurable to drink in moderation. Everybody is different; do what works for you.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    You might want to look up the definition of an alcoholic. Why ask us?
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Im not an alcoholic but i do drink pretty regularly and ive been thinking about quitting drinking until i reach my goal weight. I feel like alcohol is hindering my weight loss. i was just wondering if anyone else felt this way? Has anyone quit drinking to loss weight?
    What were your results?

Personally I think nothing good can come from drinking any alcohol in any amount. It costs a lot, it takes up time, it causes headaches, it causes fatigue and any friendly bonding done under the influence of alcohol is illusory.

I quit 14 years ago and I haven't regretted it for one second. I didn't use a program or any support. I just quit. Contrary to popular belief, that's the most common way to quit anything. Independently, quietly, permanently. No big deal to make of it.

Even if you quit temporarily you can only do better and feel better without drinking. Obviously you'll be able to eat more as you're losing weight because you'll be saving a lot of calories. It can only help with your weight loss goals to quit drinking.

It's good that you were able to quit independently and quietly.

But if you are actually an alcholic it is sometimes necessary to make a deal of it as unsupervised detox can be fatal. But there's nowt more quiet that that, right?
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    I drink beer and wine because I like how it tastes. It adds to the flavours of the food I eat. I drink high quality wine (went to a wine tasting and ordered a case which will last me 6 months at least) and craft beers. I rarely drink more than a drink in an evening and I work it into my calories. I don't drink for the buzz or to be social. It's because I enjoy the flavour and trying new flavours. And I don't plan on giving that up. My goal is not to give up everything I enjoy just so I can live an extra year - sorry, but that would make my life a sorry one. I work out, tend to eat relatively healthily and am at a good BMI (plus I lift heavy so I'm feeling quite good too). Make a decision about what drinks are for...and then make a decision if it's worth it for you.