Spiders, need advice

Options
vintagehollywood
vintagehollywood Posts: 9 Member
Hey all. I need some advice, or just a sounding board to help me think it through.

I've been living in my apartment for a little over a year and have had two really bad brown recluse spider outbreaks. One was right after I moved in, but it was quickly put under control about a week after begging the landlords to spray and remove the woodpile beneath my deck. The second one is currently on-going and started middle of May. I thank goodness for the long, frozen winter because I think it kept them at bay longer than an early spring would have.

My problem is that they keep coming. We think they live in the walls, so any amount of outside spray will only keep new ones coming in but keep old ones already in, well, already in. And spraying inside just deters them until they find a new way around it. The worst part is that they are huge. Last May, I had three really large, insanely large (we're talking about 2 inches in diameter with legs spread and running around like mad -- I could see them on a wall across a large and dark basement), but I attributed that to the apartment having been vacated and empty and allowing them to set up shop -- I should have run then. Any more I found until the problem abated were small ones. This time, every spider I see is quarter sized or larger. Before the landlords sprayed again (in late May), I was finding them in my shower, above my shower, above my bed, running across the floor, and, worst of all, playing tag with my cat.

I have kept glue-boards down since last May, but often find the spiders dead around the house rather than attached to them -- although I have caught a couple huge ones! This year, I have sprayed the over-the-counter Ortho Home Defense Max, natural bug spray with citrus, lemon, and mint., and keep a bottle of organic, natural bug spray in every room of the house that is pet friendly. My landlords this year sprayed both inside and outside the apartment, and due to not finding an attic access, did not fog the attic space. Last summer I caulked the entire apartment, filling all the crevices I could find.

My question is this: When is it time to call it quits? I just graduated from college and do not have enough saved up to move anytime soon. But is this a problem too important to put off?

I have asked around my small circle of friends and have been met with "move now. don't ask. just go. once they're in, they're in.", "they're just spiders. deal with it. spray and caulk. you're fine," and quite a few "i don't know. sorry, kid."

So to get a broader range of opinions, I'm posting here. I know every situation is different, but just thought I'd ask. I feel mostly alone and helpless right now because of it. And terrified for my cat. I find it hard to leave him at night because he likes to play with them. Tonight, I had just finished dinner, turned around, and saw him licking his front legs with a recently dead (as in still in death throws) quarter sized arachnid by his nose. Is he licking because it bit him? Because he's a cat? Because he stole food off the counter and is experiencing smug satisfaction? The not-knowing and not being able to control it is where the question of leaving comes in. I'm scared for him.

So, what is the last straw? When is the breaking point? Should I stay and pray for a cold and early winter or should I try to find a way to find a new spider-free place (although, on my budget, who knows, ha)? Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Note: I love my apartment. I would be very sad to leave it.

Replies

• kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options
    I didn't even read all of it. Why the hell are you still there? I would have left after just ONE outbreak of spiders.

Wait.. is this a joke? :huh:
  • Tla0126
    Tla0126 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Burn it down.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Burn it down.

This.

Now in all seriousness, I'd be calling the landlord and demanding it be taken care of DAILY. If they don't want to actually take care of the problem then I'd escalate the issue upwards - news outlets, etc.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Let the owner know & get them to sort it out for you
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    I am pretty sure that a brown recluse bite is very serious, possibly deadly. Imagine how sad it would be if that happened.
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    If you have to stay there, I would withhold your rent until the landlord dealt with the problem. This is a safety issue, so you are perfectly within your rights.
  • baba_helly
    baba_helly Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I don't think brown recluse spiders are "huge". are you sure that's what they are?

eta: also, what region are you in? I know they only live in certain areas, I think mostly just the southern US.
  • kinkyslinky16
    kinkyslinky16 Posts: 1,470 Member
    Options
    I don't think brown recluse spiders are "huge". are you sure that's what they are?

eta: also, what region are you in? I know they only live in certain areas, I think mostly just the southern US.
    Agreed. Brown recluse spiders are tiny usually.
  • Drama_Free_Zone
    Options
    First thing to do would be to capture multiple specimens and bring them somewhere where they can be officially identified. Once you have done that and they have been determined to be brown recluse and you can verify that there is an outbreak you can simply call the health department as brown recluse do represent a bona fide threat to your health. If the landlord won't do anything of their own accord there are ways to insure that they do. :)
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    Burn it down.

spider_zps7b653444.jpg
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it's a brown recluse? They're usually pretty small, 6-20mm (.23-.78 inches, about a penny) and live mainly in the south. IIRC, their natural habitat is from south-east Nebraska to southern Iowa, then central Texas to Georgia, and up north to Kentucky. They only have 6 eyes.

Obviously, the type of spider doesn't matter, because infestations suck. Have you talked to your landlord about an exterminator? A professional would be a lot of help, and you shouldn't pay for it, since you're renting. I would also document any correspondence with my landlord, and call daily until the problem was fixed.
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Yeah, if they are hanging out around and under piles of wood, they might be Wolf spiders. Freaky looking. Large, they are. ([/i] said with a sage Yoda-like accent[/i]) But they aren't dangerous as their venom is much weaker than brown recluse.

http://www.articlesweb.org/blog/wp-content/gallery/wood-spiders/wood-spiders-1.jpg

Brown recluse looks similar, but has distinctive violin shaped thing in the first segment.

http://firstworldfacts.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Brown-Recluse-Spider.jpg

Edit: dropped the img tags as the size wasn't too good for the forums.
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    I come at this from an entirely different direction. For the last 30 years I have gone out of my way to never kill a spider. When I came home from the Navy, I was staying in our little house by the pond. One day I killed a spider as I was walking down the hall. Fifteen seconds later another spider came leaping out of the bathroom and bit me on the foot. The two had communicated, even though they were in different rooms. That got me to thinking. What if they teamed up on me while I was sleeping? If there were enough of them, I would be doomed. So since that day, I have tried my best not to kill spiders. I do have my house sprayed by a professional service. I just hope they don't hold me responsible for their departed loved ones.

Larro
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Brown recluse spiders are quite small, not much bigger than a penny or dime, and that's including leg span. They have a violin pattern on their backs, and they have six eyes instead of the usual eight. They're also not furry except on the underside of their abdomen.

Still...I wouldn't care if the spider is dangerous or not. I'd still burn the place down.
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    I used to live in peace with wolf spiders. I even woke up to one staring me down, about 6" from my face, on my pillow.

Totes mcgoats srs.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I used to live in peace with wolf spiders. I even woke up to one staring me down, about 6" from my face, on my pillow.

Totes mcgoats srs.

It just wanted to cuddle!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Wolf spiders aren't dangerous but they're SO FREAKING SCARY when they have their little babies HANGING OUT ALL OVER THEIR BODIES!!! IT'S LIKE THIS MASS OF SPIDER FLESH!! GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
  • neojedi
    neojedi Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I just got skeeved from that image. TFT
  • CamilleJackie350
    Options
    OP that's awfully coincidental because I also need some advice, or just a sounding board to help me think it through.

I've been living in my apartment for a little over a year and have had two really bad brown recluse spider outbreaks. One was right after I moved in, but it was quickly put under control about a week after begging the landlords to spray and remove the woodpile beneath my deck. The second one is currently on-going and started middle of May. I thank goodness for the long, frozen winter because I think it kept them at bay longer than an early spring would have.

My problem is that they keep coming. We think they live in the walls, so any amount of outside spray will only keep new ones coming in but keep old ones already in, well, already in. And spraying inside just deters them until they find a new way around it. The worst part is that they are huge. Last May, I had three really large, insanely large (we're talking about 2 inches in diameter with legs spread and running around like mad -- I could see them on a wall across a large and dark basement), but I attributed that to the apartment having been vacated and empty and allowing them to set up shop -- I should have run then. Any more I found until the problem abated were small ones. This time, every spider I see is quarter sized or larger. Before the landlords sprayed again (in late May), I was finding them in my shower, above my shower, above my bed, running across the floor, and, worst of all, playing tag with my cat.

I have kept glue-boards down since last May, but often find the spiders dead around the house rather than attached to them -- although I have caught a couple huge ones! This year, I have sprayed the over-the-counter Ortho Home Defense Max, natural bug spray with citrus, lemon, and mint., and keep a bottle of organic, natural bug spray in every room of the house that is pet friendly. My landlords this year sprayed both inside and outside the apartment, and due to not finding an attic access, did not fog the attic space. Last summer I caulked the entire apartment, filling all the crevices I could find.

My question is this: When is it time to call it quits? I just graduated from college and do not have enough saved up to move anytime soon. But is this a problem too important to put off?

I have asked around my small circle of friends and have been met with "move now. don't ask. just go. once they're in, they're in.", "they're just spiders. deal with it. spray and caulk. you're fine," and quite a few "i don't know. sorry, kid."

So to get a broader range of opinions, I'm posting here. I know every situation is different, but just thought I'd ask. I feel mostly alone and helpless right now because of it. And terrified for my cat. I find it hard to leave him at night because he likes to play with them. Tonight, I had just finished dinner, turned around, and saw him licking his front legs with a recently dead (as in still in death throws) quarter sized arachnid by his nose. Is he licking because it bit him? Because he's a cat? Because he stole food off the counter and is experiencing smug satisfaction? The not-knowing and not being able to control it is where the question of leaving comes in. I'm scared for him.

So, what is the last straw? When is the breaking point? Should I stay and pray for a cold and early winter or should I try to find a way to find a new spider-free place (although, on my budget, who knows, ha)? Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Note: I love my apartment. I would be very sad to leave it.
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Wowsers. Here I thought all the dangerous spiders were here in Australia :o.
    Yeah, it is sometimes really hard to self-determine exactly what spider is which, I had that issue with a large number of potentially very venomous ones living on my back porch over the summer here.

So I would try and get someone to take a look for you to confirm it. I'm not sure how you could go about that, whether there's a free service in your area or a bug exterminator who may know (get the landlord to pay for that)
    Maybe you could show a friend/ neighbour or post a photo on here of one and people here can assist? Perhaps somebody in your neighbourhood who has lived there for many years may know if you do get those spiders in the area??

Then, if it is indeed the one that could harm yourself or your cat, you should have some more grounds to stand on with the landlord. In the mean time, maybe you should try and keep the cat confined to one room if possible while you're asleep at night just in case. Also, maybe those in home self-sprayer things you place in hallways etc could help? We had two on either end of the house, and those helped us quite a lot with bugs and spiders over summer. And we get spiders the size of your hand here lol.