Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Does anyone else feel like eat out but healthy defeats the p

NeuroticVirgo
NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
Question: Does anyone else feel like eating out but healthy defeats the purpose of eating out in the first place?

I mean, I get there is a difference between getting the worst thing on the menu and at least trying...but I feel like if I'm going to pay $30 for a meal, and that meal originally comes with a dinner roll, garlic mashed potatoes, salmon covered in some kind of awesome sauce and starts with soup....but then if I were to change my order to no roll, no soup...grilled salmon w/ no sauce...and steamed veggies.....its like... why didn't I just stay home and cook this myself and save like $20. lol

Replies

• rai8759
    rai8759 Posts: 296 Member
    Me 2. I feel that way when going out, but then I always wind up eating waaay to many calories!! I think from now on when I eat out I'll have to plan ahead to eat something yummy, but that fits in my calorie budget (maybe after a bad-*kitten* workout!).
  • i totally think that if your gonna eat out...DO IT! eat what you want...just do like she said and make sure you did a very high calorie loss exercise routine that day... i mean if you can add 1000 calories by exercise- that gives you the extra space to eat what you want and still stay within your calories for the day...and besides- you dont eat out EVERY day...so treat yourself!...
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    I understand about that. Taking all of that stuff off defeats the purpose. But if you order the healthier options, you don't have to do that. I love to eat out, too. But I know I would be my own worst enemy. Eating all those huge burgers, fries, chicken fried steaks, giant stacks of pancakes, meat filled everything is how I got here. So, now I carry out a calorie king book everywhere I go. It's full of nutrition for restaurants all over. Tonight we went to IHOP and I was blown away by their veggie omelet. It's served with fresh fruit. The omelet tastes like it has a 1000 calories, but it only has 360 (that includes the fruit!) It's amazing! Even their kids meals come with fresh fruit on the side instead of fries, standard. You can eat out, just choose the healthy options. Applebees also has a bunch of things to choose from that are low cal and fabulous. Good luck, and don't give up!
  • GirlOverboard
    GirlOverboard Posts: 2 Member
    You could always ask the waiter to bring a knife (if, say, you're ordering something like a burger) and a to-go box from the start. Or even just an extra plate. Then, as soon as your order arrives, split it in half. Even if your food is just on a separate plate, you'll be less likely to eat it - especially if you make sure to drink plenty of water during your meal. Not only will you eat less, but you'll get more money out of the meal by splitting it into two meals and having leftovers for lunch the next day. At worst, the waiter looks at you a little funny for asking for a to-go box from the start, but typically they won't if you just ask for an extra plate.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    It depends on how often you eat out. So many people eat out several times a week. I eat in a restaurant probably 10 times a year - so when I do, I get what i want.

I just work to not stuff myself and not go overboard. (Do I NEED 3 rolls?!) Maybe I will get a milkshake and a burger at Red Robin, but I might eat only 1/2 the burger and share the shake sips with others. I realize I don't actually WANT the whole thing, I just feel like "if I paid for it"!

Plus, being cheap (read poor), if I can get an extra lunch out of my restaurant meal, all the better.

Now, for those who eat out all the time as just another alternative to cooking - it makes more sense to be choosy and eat smarter in restaurants too.
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    I eat out very rarely these days. This what I think and I'm no expert believe me. I allow for the calories. I either exercise more or cut back at some other meal. Now I have to say those calories you eat out don't seem to go away so fast as those you eat at home. I think the extra salt has to be washed through the body. Many years ago a WW member said if you eat bad drink good water. She also said, I'm not sure if this is true, that if you drink water afterward the water will suspend the fat and thus carry it out of your body.

Now you can't eat at burger biggie every day and expect to lose weight.
  • JillTwiss
    JillTwiss Posts: 139 Member
    That's how I felt at Olive Garden, not eating the "endless" salad and breadsticks and then at Red Robin not eating the "bottomless" fries. BUT, I felt so much better afterward. I felt stronger inside, like I defeated something. :wink:
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    I agree that the key is in ordering the healthy options so you dont need to substitute anything...they usually design those options to taste good as is. if you pick one of the less healthy options and remove all the stuff that makes it taste good you'll be left with something completely bland...which would make it a worse choice than just staying home. Of course if there's something on the menu you must have, then get it as is, and take half home like the poster above said.
  • randilea
    randilea Posts: 140
    That is exactly what I say to myself every time I go out to eat and fight with myself in my head about what to order!!
  • schpanks
    schpanks Posts: 468 Member
    I'm already planning on eating crazy things for my birthday. I'm a vegetarian, so there's not going to be any huge greasy burger in my future, but I want to go out for Spanish food and eat olives and cheese and not think about my calories. If I'm good the rest of the week and give myself a good workout that day, I'm going to eat what I want, know when to stop, and not feel guilty about enjoying myself!
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    I feel EXACTLY this way! I can never go out & eat a salad or a piece of grilled chicken. I want a big bowl of pasta or chicken smoothered with something. I'm horrible when I go out to eat.
  • GrandmaVic
    GrandmaVic Posts: 2 Member
    I agree, so when I am actually dieting and trying to lose weight, I rarely eat out. Because as you said, if you can't have the "good stuff", what is the point? Unfortunately for me, eating out is not about the event (as I guess it should be), it's mostly about the FOOD! I'd rather eat at home and at least have low cal things I am happy with rather than go out and deny myself.
  • I can't afford to eat out very often, so I expect to completely and totally eat what I feel like when I do. One day of that may make me gain back a pound or two, but if I only do it three or four times a year, it won't blow the overall pattern. Besides, a lot of the time what I *like* to eat when I eat out is stuff like big portions of meat or fish, but no carbs, so if I make it the only meal I eat that day I probably won't be going radically over anyway, and I won't be hungry for the rest of the day.
  • I love to eat out, I love the company and having others wait on me. I also found the Calorie King book and I bought two of them, I gave one to my younger son. He was horrified to see how many calories were in his fast food. He now rides his bike 15 miles 3x a week. He lost 15 lbs and looks great. He has become very concious of what goes in his mouth due to MFP. I am so proud of him. He was just nice blessing to my progress with MFP. But I carry my calorie king book everywhere, I don't order until I know how many calories are in the food. Yes I have become a fanatic, but I can't excercise like most of you , due to my arthritic knees and my lupus. So every calorie counts. If I start eating things that I truly love, I will continue to want to eat them. (Like cheese sauces, chocolate desserts, and alcholic bevarages.) So order a meal you know you can enjoy and don't ignore everything but pick wisely. I also get filled up so quickly now, I know I will be taking home half of what I eat. So that helps a lot toward what my choice will be. Good luck and eat out.
  • grrl77
    grrl77 Posts: 108
    I've always associated eating out with taking absolute pleasure in my meal, which always means I want the cheesiest, sweetest, hugest thing on the menu that's going to make me unbutton my pants right at the dinner table. Someone here said it - If I have to forgo "all the good stuff," screw that! I could just eat at home! I mean, let's face it. I don't show up at a restaurant because I love the finely detailed engravings on the table. :P I go there because I can shovel mad quantities of crap in my face. My *kitten* might not like it, but hey.

If I'm gonna go out, I generally say well, I'll watch how MUCH I eat, but I'm not gonna just not get something I want. That being said, I've cut back on when I go out to special occasions, and OH the money it saves me!

xxoo!
  • caitlinclock
    caitlinclock Posts: 528 Member
    I get more pleasure of making an amazing healthy meal at home that I love than "settling" for something healthy when I really want to eat something else on a menu.
  • giventofly__
    giventofly__ Posts: 21 Member
    I've become a fan (like someone else mentioned) of ordering what I want, but asking for the to- go box right away. I've never had a server look at me strange for that, so I assume it is more common then it seems. Now it seems I have been putting 2/3rds in the box and being full with what I have, and getting two leftover meals out of the one eating out night. It's been a good solution for me, I don't feel denied, if I'm not staring at it I'm less likely to mindlessly eat it, and it feels like a treat getting extra meals out of it. So what started as a calorie nightmare divided by two or three isn't nearly as daunting and guilt inducing. But that's just me.
  • thats an awesome tip! I might invest in one of those books, i have to eat out so much when my husband is home on the weekends. Thanks
  • I usually pick what I want to eat, eat half and send the rest in a to go box, eat the next day for lunch. I really have to watch how much sauce that i eat... it adds up. and i always drink water to help fill and save money.
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    The problem with the to-go box for me is this... then I'm still eating the other half of my unhealthy crap the next day. That is also when guilt starts to rear it's ugly head.
This discussion has been closed.