Holy sodium batman....

ksimmons19
ksimmons19 Posts: 223 Member
edited September 22 in Food and Nutrition
I didn't realize how much sodium I'm taking in and to top it off, I've been having a hard time drinking water lately and I have no idea why. In nursing school we are in clinicals 3 days a week all day and it's hard to keep up with water because 1. we can't go pee very often because we're busy and 2. we can't have drinks anywhere except in the lounge in the back. I didn't even think about looking at sodium content because I figured that if I was taking in the right amount of calories then nothing else mattered but I know that sodium is what's keeping me up on the scales *mixed with the not drinking enough water.* Anyone else have these problems??

Replies

• justdoingit
    justdoingit Posts: 185 Member
    Yes!! I notice when I eat something really high in sodium, I retain more water and the scale goes up. So frustrating! I added the sodium content to my list to keep an eye on how much I am consuming...
  • ksimmons19
    Yeah I added it to my diary too just curious, turns out this healthy meal I've made (slow cooker salsa chicken) is SO high in sodium!! Problem is, the recipe I entered I used a generic taco seasoning, but at home I made my own seasoning and I didn't add much salt to it so I'm curious to know if that would change anything
  • Melanie1967
    Melanie1967 Posts: 238 Member
    Sodium hurts me more then anything else! I blow up like a balloon with the water retention. I try to keep it under 1500 gm a day, but not always possible. I am a truckdriver, so sometimes lots of water isn't a good thing for me. LOL
  • Which foods have the most sodium?
  • yes the sodium in store bought taco seasoning is ridiculous. I'm sure if you're making your own with out adding much salt, the recipe would contain way less. You could buy the 50% less salt taco seasoning, our try Epicure's, salt is the last ingredient.
  • ksimmons19
    I actually just looked at it and the ingredients with the most sodium was the cream of mushroom (which is not low sodium nor low fat because I obviously had a brain fart in the canned food section at the grocery store that day) and the salsa (which surprises me because I never realized that salsa had so much sodium) and the uncle ben's long grain and wild rice package. I'll just have to start analyzing sodium content more because I have never really looked at sodium in anything before.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Which foods have the most sodium?

processed and canned foods for starters. Prepackaged meals like lean cuisine, weight watchers etc
  • My sodium is always rocketing through the roof! I never knew I consumed so much until I added it to mine. I also never get enough to drink because I never have time to actually stop at my job and take a break.
This discussion has been closed.