New to MFP - Question for all SAHM's

Options
I am very excited to be a part of this weight loss community. I am looking forward to making friends and finding encouragement and motivation.

A question for stay at home mom's - How do you go about getting your exercise in while watching your kids? My husband leaves very early for work and gets home late in the evenings so I can't rely on him to watch the kids while I go exercise on a consistent basis. Any suggestions you have to offer would be greatly appreciated.

Happy losing!!

Replies

• Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Welcome to mfp!!

I am a stay at home mom of 2 boys...almost 3 and 16 months....I used to workout early in the morning before they woke up, so you could try that. My gym also has a daycare so thats super helpful. I also sometimes workout during their nap time doing a workout video. Another option is after dinner when your husband is home. There are lot of opportunities throughout the day to workout---you just have to find out what works best for you! Good luck
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    When I don't sleep in I do it at 5:30am - my kids get up at 7am-8am. I also workout in the afternoon 2pm - 3pm during naptime. Sometimes my 2yr old doesn't take her nap but knows when I put her in her room that it's time for me to excerise. She plays or takes a nap until I'm done =)
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    Hi and welcome! Have you thought about involving them in your workout when you can't get time to yourself? I have 3 & my husband travels a lot.....I work out mainly at home but go to/teach classes at an aerobic studio but they have childcare there. Anyways, it doesn't have to be formal exercise. Chasing or racing your kids around the yard, hula hooping with them or even teaching them yoga burns calories. Just get creative :happy:
  • cookingcriolla
    Options
    Welcome, sure your going to love this site!
  • jslcook
    Options
    Welcome to MFP..I usually do it after i drop my kids off at school. We are Military and we have a Track (of course) on base so i put the youngest of the 3 in the stroller and go walk for about 45 min. When i can't get to the track to walk i ride the bike we have while he watches Nick Jr or when he actually takes a nap. You will figure out when your best time to workout. Hope all works out and feel free to add me if you need any more motivation. i know we can all use it from time to time..:D oh and some cable or satellite companies now have Fit TV. Before we moved to where we are now, my kids loved to work out with me..they thought it was fun and funny of course!!!!
  • Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I know that the weather is getting colder---but walking is a wonderful way to exercise if you can't go to the gym and can't get away from your kids....I walked/jogged all summer long with my boys and they loved it! :)
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I work out at nap time too. I tried working out while my three year old was up, but there is just no way. Although, once when I was working out in the morning doing Insanity he woke up. My husband gave him breakfast and he, (my son) laughed and laughed while I was jumping and sweating all over the place. I think his favorite was the globe jumps where you basically are jumping like a frog in a big circle. He loved that. Good times.

So, yeah, nap time is good. :happy:
  • foreverfamily
    Options
    Not sure how many kiddos you have or their ages, but we love bikes around here and have a half-wheeler that attaches to my bike for my DS and when he was younger we had the jogging stroller/bike buggy attachment. Other than that it is the workout dvd's prior to him waking up. Or the treadmill w/ us watching a kid show and Ipod for me.... : )