HRM info/advice needed

heather0mc
heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi all!

I have a choice between 4 HRM's and know nothing about the differences. Can anyone with more HRM knowledge help me with my dilemma? All I want to be able to do is get a more accurate idea of how many calories I am burning during my workouts. I am doing 3 different things - walking dog, workout dvd, and the elliptical. On average, MFP says I burn about 1000 calories when I workout, but as you can imagine, that # seems a little high and I want to be able to know for sure where I am at.

The 4 I have to choose from are:
Polar FS2C HRM (watch style)
Timex T5G971 Personal HRM watch
Garmin Forerunner 305 - GPS Receiver w/ HRM
Timex T5J031 Digital Fitness HRM watch.

The Garmin seems the most elaborate, but I dont think I need all the bells and whistles. I just need quality.

Anyone have any experience with any of these?

BTW - these HRM's are part of the Ultimate Rewards program at Chase bank. You earn points and can buy stuff (or get cash back) when you redeem the points. I need an HRM, have points, and this is what they offer :wink:

THANKS PEEPS!

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    I would go for the Polar. That brand is better known for quality and accuracy than the others you listed.
  • rshunk
    rshunk Posts: 167 Member
    I have a Polar and really like it! It is my first so I don't have much to compare it to however it does what I want it to! I read a lot of good reviews about the various Polar models before I got mine and that is why I went with that one. Good luck!
  • heather0mc
    thank you ladies! i finally got serious about getting in gear and making lifestyle changes, and i think this HRM fits right in... Ok, 2 votes for the Polar...

gonna go sneak a peak at them again real quick...
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    I vote for Polar too!

However, if none of them have a chest strap I wouldn't get any of them. With the kind that's just a watch and you have to push the buttons all the time to get your heart rate - they are way less accurate than the chest strap type.

But with that being said, the wrist watch type is better than nothing at all! :bigsmile:

Have fun with your shopping!
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    The Polar is one of the base models and doesn't measure calories burnt. Neither does the Garmin. The Timex watches do seem to measure this, but I have read mixed reviews about them.
  • heather0mc
    oh yea, chest strap HRM's are way better aren't they...

well shoot. i just didn't want to be out of pocket and this seemed like a good purchase for those reward points, but maybe i should just get some more research done before i decide to make it happen.

again, i appreciate the info!
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    I actually just got a HRM a week ago and so far I love it. I got the Polar FT7 with the chest strap and it is working out really well. It tells me my heart rate, where I am on the scale of either fat burn (lower) or fitness (higher) and calories that I have burned. Also, my gym has machines that are "Polar Heart Rate Ready" meaning that I don't have to put my hands on the sensors to get the heart rate, it reads it from my transmitter and displays it automatically on the machine. HRM's are very cool and I'm so glad I got one, not only for the machines but an accurate count when I work out at home.

Good luck with the shopping!

Kim
  • goingwithgrace
    goingwithgrace Posts: 109 Member
    I just got a Sportline HRM and pedometer (and it doesn't other stuff I haven't figured out yet). It does not have a chest strap because I can't stand them. This one you touch the plating on the face of the watch to get your HR. I like it but it wasn't cheap!
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    is there a way to apply the rewards points to slightly more expensive items? The polar that you want is about 90 bucks, so if you could apply the 50 bucks or so that these are worth, you could get a decent one (the Polar F6 or the FT7 are both between 85 and 110 dollars depending on where you look, and both measure calories)
  • heather0mc
    today i purchased the Polar FT7 online. I should receive it in about 5 days. Thanks for all the advise!
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    I'm sure you won't regret it.
This discussion has been closed.