Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Coconut Oil???

So the latest craze seems to be using coconut oil throughout the day to supress appetite. It's normally seen in a low carb diet (which I'm NOT following). But now I've learned about BPC (Bulletproof coffee). Which consists of grassfed butter and coconut oil in coffee and that's ALL you have for breakfast. You tend to get 2/3 of your fat intake in this one sitting and 200% saturated fats in one sitting. It doesn't seem healthy or appetizing to me. However, I'm willing to look outside of the box, and would love to know if any of you use coconut oil daily and what benefits you've seen with it.

Please? And thank you in advance for your feedback on this. :wink: :drinker:

Replies

• Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    I use coconut oil to fry some foods. I also use it topically to treat KP on my arms.
  • peggymenard
    peggymenard Posts: 246 Member
    I use either coconut oil or olive oil in all the cooking that requires fat. No other fat except butter which I use sparingly is on my grocery list.
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    It really brings out the flavor of food in a sauté. I don't know about adding it to my coffee though...that makes my stomach flip even thinking about it!

Fats are good at helping you digest vitamins, so eating fat with coffee seems like a waste. I would save your fat for butter on corn on the cob or other veggies, or olive oil or coconut oil for sautéing veggies or stir fries, etc.

Just my 2 cents. Now I'm hungry for corn on the cob, jeez. :)
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    I cook with coconut oil most of the time and I really like it. I've tried it in coffee and it's pretty good, but not really my thing. Just use it in place of whatever cooking oil you use if you're trying to get more of it into your diet
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    I used to cook with it on a regular basis -- never really saw any difference in my appetite. Went back to using olive oil, butter, or bacon grease -- all cheaper and easier to work with.
  • TiffieLand
    TiffieLand Posts: 159
    Wow they just getting weirder and weirder with all these diet fad. I don't use coconut oil and use olive oil for cooking like stir fry vegetables and meat.
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Fat is fat from a caloric standpoint, so just as calorically dense as olive oil or butter or grape seed oil, etc... so from a weight-loss perspective, no difference. Fat is also satiating like protein and will help with "hunger pains". Now from a molecular standpoint, there are subtitle differences that might have future health benefit, the same as there being different micronutrients in different fruits and vegetables, there are different fat saturations in the variety of fats. This poly-morph of fat saturations aid differently in health (and thus still being studied for long term differences) as well as used for different degrees of cooking (different smoke points), but nothing magical about coconut oil in particular.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    I use coconut oil in my coffee, but just a tsp. I also put in half a scoop of protein powder. I like it.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    I only use coconut for my hair and skin. Lol

I don't like how I can taste it in cooking.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    I use coconut oil as a moisturizer and to make my hair shiny. I haven't cooked with it yet.
  • I use it for my skin as a moisturiser and when doing stir frys. Also good to put in the dogs food - makes the coat nice and shiny and can help with itchy skin
  • harrybeard
    harrybeard Posts: 5 Member
    Your post is correct but I would add that coconut oil is 66% Medium Chain and the rest being long chain which doesn't burn off in your body as fast.... Agree? If you Amazon 100% MCT cooking oil you will see that the price is higher but more beneficial .... Coconut oil is great for losing weight..... Just a note for new bees out there a product called Carb Quick is 90% less carbs than Bis quick and can be used for any bis quick recipe replacement.... Worked for me as you can see from photo over 100 lbs lost in a year...
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Your post is correct but I would add that coconut oil is 66% Medium Chain and the rest being long chain which doesn't burn off in your body as fast.... Agree? If you Amazon 100% MCT cooking oil you will see that the price is higher but more beneficial .... Coconut oil is great for losing weight..... Just a note for new bees out there a product called Carb Quick is 90% less carbs than Bis quick and can be used for any bis quick recipe replacement.... Worked for me as you can see from photo over 100 lbs lost in a year...

All food has a thermic effect (your body has to use calories for digestion), so while there is proof of a very small increase (like maybe 5% difference) in caloric use of coconut oil say compared to olive oil in the body for digestion, I would also like to offer that since coconut oil has a higher saturated fat content than olive oil, there are warnings of higher LDL cholesterol which is an increase in risk of heart disease...but again as mentioned, all of this is really speculation as long term studies are being done and the only data we seem to run into is short term data done on rats.
  • Never consumed it but have put it in my hair ;)
  • TutuMom41
    TutuMom41 Posts: 278 Member
    No one food has the power to change everything. No one food is bad. You can eat anything you want just don't eat a lot of it :smile:
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,519 Member
    I use 1/2 a tablespoon of coconut oil in my coffee every morning. I also eat chicken, eggs, greek yogurt, pistachios...not just the coffee. I'm pretty hungry in the morning.

I swear that since I started consuming coconut oil everyday that my nails are stronger and smoother. I don't know if this is the coconut oil...I also increased my protein intake. Something definitely helped though.
  • nitrospop
    nitrospop Posts: 122 Member
    I love BPC, but instead of coconut oil I just use MCT oil. That being said, coconut oil gives a nice flavor to saute vegetables.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    I love coconut oil for my beauty products (hair and skin, put it in a homemade salt or sugar scrub--you're welcome). I don't typically cook with it, though. I love my olive oil for cooking. Although, I do the bullet proof coffee if I'm, um, occasionally "sluggish" in my digestion (helps me go). Yep, it'll do the trick.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    I was just reading a diet book where the author recommends using it due to its lauric acid having properties that help weight loss (or something, or so she believes). She even has a recipe that is chocolate truffles that is just melted semi-sweet choc chips, coconut oil and almond butter rolled into balls.
  • VeLisaraptor13
    VeLisaraptor13 Posts: 20 Member
    I use coconut oil in my coffee, but just a tsp. I also put in half a scoop of protein powder. I like it.

Me too. It's nice and for whatever reason I'm less likely to divert from my eating plan if I have it in my morning coffee.