How do I weigh tofu?

Do I squeeze out the water first or not?

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    People come up with the most unusual questions. ;-)

I never squeeze my tofu; I hate when it cries.
  • Chelsarrr
    Chelsarrr Posts: 65 Member
    I weight the entire block then divide by portion sizes. If it's just 2 portions I just cut the brick it in half. If it's 4, I weigh each section to make sure they're equal. I don't try to measure whatever the serving size is!
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Don't weigh the actual water it's swimming in. Take it out, weigh it and figure out the weight of your serving. Then you can press it or whatever.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Yes get rid of the water as you should before cooking with it wrap it in kitchen roll and put a weight on it (i use a heavy wooden chopping board) and let it dry up as much water as possible. Then weigh how ever much you want to use. If your not using the whole amount with fresh tofu put it back in some water and it should keep well in the fridge for a couple of days but change the water daily.
  • FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    Don't weigh the actual water it's swimming in. Take it out, weigh it and figure out the weight of your serving. Then you can press it or whatever.

agreed - the stuff you're squeezing out is water which won't affect the calorie or nutrient count but will affect the weight. I'd weigh it before you press it.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    I think this ^ would give a skewed result. The weight of tofu is as it's packaged, not after it's pressed.
    Edit: I was referring to our esteemed Fatdoob's answer. :smile:
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Okay, thanks everyone :)
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Weigh the trash can first. Place tofu in the trash can. Weigh the trash can again. Subtract the first number from the second. Leave tofu in the trash can and go get a burger. :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • thiosulfate
    thiosulfate Posts: 262 Member
    Weigh the trash can first. Place tofu in the trash can. Weigh the trash can again. Subtract the first number from the second. Leave tofu in the trash can and go get a burger. :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:

Burgers are so gross and greasy :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Yes get rid of the water as you should before cooking with it wrap it in kitchen roll and put a weight on it (i use a heavy wooden chopping board) and let it dry up as much water as possible. Then weigh how ever much you want to use. If your not using the whole amount with fresh tofu put it back in some water and it should keep well in the fridge for a couple of days but change the water daily.

Interesting, I just add it to my stirfry just as it is. I never press it. I get the tofu from the korean deli around the corner. it's usually pretty fresh.
  • Philistine!