Intimidated by lifting weights; however

Options
I know I'm intimidated by lifting weights, even those little dumbbells you can get at Walmart. I know that I'm not fit enough to even consider it at this point and I'm still actively trying to lose weight so I question whether trying to build muscle isn't a waste of time or effort. However, I've been adding some push ups to my daily exercise. I just do three sets of 15 right now and feel as if I have noodles for arms afterward. I haven't had any money to get any weights, but I've been thinking of getting some really low (like three pound) weights to use when I do other exercises. Am I wasting my time or can I gradually build while I'm still trying to lose and then get into more dedicated lifting when I go into maintenance?

Replies

• earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Pushups and other bodyweight exercises are great, but lifting weights is really helpful for weight loss. Building muscle is a good thingn, definitely not a waste of time! Start with what you can and work your way up. Once you can do more than 12-15 reps at a time it's time to increase the weight. Good luck.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Neglecting to do some kind of resistance training while you're losing weight results in losing a greater % of muscle mass than you otherwise would. This is one of the big reasons people get to their "magic number" but are still unhappy...there body composition isn't what they thought it would be because they lost so much muscle along the way. That's why you lift or otherwise do resistance training while you're trying to lose weight...it has nothing to do with trying to build muscle at this point because you really can't while you are in a deficit of energy. You can get stronger and maintain muscle mass though.

Whether you do weights or body weight, either way you need to make sure you're doing some kind or progressive program that is hitting everything and progressively gets more difficult. Just willy nilly doing some pushups or lifting some dumbells without some kind of structured plan isn't going to do much for you.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Neglecting to do some kind of resistance training while you're losing weight results in losing a greater % of muscle mass than you otherwise would. This is one of the big reasons people get to their "magic number" but are still unhappy...there body composition isn't what they thought it would be because they lost so much muscle along the way. That's why you lift or otherwise do resistance training while you're trying to lose weight...it has nothing to do with trying to build muscle at this point because you really can't while you are in a deficit of energy. You can get stronger and maintain muscle mass though.

Whether you do weights or body weight, either way you need to make sure you're doing some kind or progressive program that is hitting everything and progressively gets more difficult. Just willy nilly doing some pushups or lifting some dumbells without some kind of structured plan isn't going to do much for you.

Good advice. I've been pretty happy with where my legs are right now, since I do a lot of walking, but my arms are not as strong as they could be. I do sling hay bales around a couple of times a week, but my arms can definitely use some muscle-building. My resources are really low right now, so I need to go with what I have--that's body weight or nothing. I started at 10 push ups/rep and am now up to 15, but I know I need to progress from there since (correct me if I'm mistaken) my muscles need to be tired when I complete an exercise to see any change/improvement. I thought I'd increase to 20 push ups/time before worrying about adding another resistance exercise and I'm hoping that by they I should have enough money to get a couple of low-weight dumbbells.

Can you suggest other exercises or a progression that a 53-year-old, 5'1" woman can be doing to gradually include resistance training in her lifestyle changes?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Good advice. I've been pretty happy with where my legs are right now, since I do a lot of walking, but my arms are not as strong as they could be. I do sling hay bales around a couple of times a week, but my arms can definitely use some muscle-building. My resources are really low right now, so I need to go with what I have--that's body weight or nothing. I started at 10 push ups/rep and am now up to 15, but I know I need to progress from there since (correct me if I'm mistaken) my muscles need to be tired when I complete an exercise to see any change/improvement. I thought I'd increase to 20 push ups/time before worrying about adding another resistance exercise and I'm hoping that by they I should have enough money to get a couple of low-weight dumbbells.

Can you suggest other exercises or a progression that a 53-year-old, 5'1" woman can be doing to gradually include resistance training in her lifestyle changes?

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

That's ^^^ a good place to start and you kind kind of learn to build your own routine. Even if you're doing body weight work, your routine should be a full body workout...you're going to get far more benefit than just working on one or two exercises.

Also, If you're slinging hay bales around I'm not sure why you're be intimidated by little dumbbells.:laugh:
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options

Check out "You Are Your Own Gym"

Also http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

If you have a smart phone you can get the YOYOG app for about 3 dollars.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

That's ^^^ a good place to start and you kind kind of learn to build your own routine. Even if you're doing body weight work, your routine should be a full body workout...you're going to get far more benefit than just working on one or two exercises.

Also, If you're slinging hay bales around I'm not sure why you're be intimidated by little dumbbells.:laugh:

Thanks, I'll check that out! I'm still a little reluctant to put too much pressure on my knees, since I've had trouble with them before, but as I lose weight I notice that my knees and back are less stressed (years and years ago I fell and broke my back, but I'm up and walking now). I'll look at the routine and see if I can manage it.

As to the hay bales . . . I grew up playing in barns and in and around livestock. I have no trouble slinging hay around, but those dumbbells are creepy, judgmental little critters. It's kind of like the difference between grooming a horse or a goat and touching a spider or daddy longlegs. One is easy and the other has me screaming and running from the room. LOL

Check out "You Are Your Own Gym"

Also http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

If you have a smart phone you can get the YOYOG app for about 3 dollars.

Thanks! I only have a dumb phone, but I'll check out YAYOG thing. I appreciate the suggestion!