Is this a bad way to try to lose weight?

Options
I want to eat fruits only in order to lose weight and to just do cardio 6 days a week. Would that be okay or is it bad?

Replies

• caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Do you plan to do this for the remainder of your life to keep the weight off? Is this sustainable? Remember, temporary "diets" yield temporary results.
  • JoeCampbell85
    Options
    Yes, it's bad. Fruits alone do not contain the macro or micro nutrients that you need. They are also low in calories, meaning you'd have to eat a huge amount to even reach an point where you won't be burnt out/overtrained in 2 weeks. Eat a healthy balanced diet. Fruit aren't magical, nothing about them specifically will make you lose weight. Find your desired calorie deficit and eat a balanced diet to meet those goals.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    So if you had to ask you already no it's not a good idea.

But let's think about this, you have 17 lbs to lose, you want to do cardio 6 days a week while eating just fruit..... you are young enough you should remember health class they talked about nutrition at least for 30 minutes right?

Is fruit going to give you the energy to do cardio 6 days a week???
    Why do you want to do cardio 6 days a week???
    Where are you getting your protein from???

How about try eating a well balanced diet, do some resistance training, and some cardio.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    It's no dumber than any other diet that seeks to cut out certain macros
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Don't follow this quick weight loss is not healthy and very stupid to post here

tumblr_m5zkw5PAaI1qa0tls.gif
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Eating only fruit would leave you really low on protein, and with a serious amount of sugar and carbs.

I cant i imagine your body would be happy.
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    The fact you had to post this question should tell you that it's a bad idea. Stick to traditional methods instead of trying to find a quick fix.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Eating only fruit would leave you really low on protein, and with a serious amount of sugar and carbs.

The diarrhea you'd get from an all fruit diet would definitely be the sign of an unhappy body.
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options

The diarrhea you'd get from an all fruit diet would definitely be the sign of an unhappy body.

This reminded me of freelees 'fluffy fruity floaters'...
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    You would then basically live on carbs and (some) fibre.
    But your body needs protein and fat too to be healthy.

So yes, it is a bad way.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Do you plan to do this for the remainder of your life to keep the weight off? Is this sustainable? Remember, temporary "diets" yield temporary results.
    I don't plan on eating at a deficit for the remainder of my life. Should I stop doing it now, since I can't do it forever?

(Not saying or implying that an all-fruit diet is defensible.)
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Proof that there is such a thing as a stupid question.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Ashton Kutcher tried it in getting ready to play Steve Jobs and ended up in the hospital. Steve Jobs is dead and although brilliant about some things probably shortened his own life with whacky health ideas. Do it long enough and it will kill you.

So, think about it a minute. How could it possibly be okay? It will make you sick. At your young age it may damage you for life. Recent research indicates that the brain is developing until age 25. You are 21. Do you want to risk doing something that may well slow your brain development?

Eat a healthy diet with proper portion control. To learn more about a healthy diet go to http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/
  • Ollie1525
    Ollie1525 Posts: 5
    Options
    Im assuming you are going on holiday and want quick fix? There are other low calorie diets that would give you better ntrients - Judith Wells or the 2/5 diet - suggest you look at those for short term, but really aim long term to do this one step at a time and change eating habits life long x
  • TutuMom41
    TutuMom41 Posts: 278
    Options
    That's NUTS! Yeah try eating fruit and Nuts :wink:
  • Natalie14612
    Natalie14612 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You need to read up on what a good balanced diet it and then answer your own question. I would ask you: WHY? Were did you come up with the idea that a low protein high carb/high sugar diet was healthy? Not only will you lose muscle but you could very well become anemic. The human body needs protein, fats, and carbs as well as an assortment of vitamins and minerals, and you can't get them all from fruit.

Cardio 6 days a week sounds nuts, too. It's a good idea to vary your exercise routine with cardio alternating with other types of exercise.

Figure out your basic metabolic rate. Say, for example, it's 1250 calories. This is what your body needs on a daily basis just to function- breathing, talking, etc all require calories. Add in to this calories according to your activity level. Even if you're inactive, you should add at least 200 calories. So for an inactive person with a basal metabolic rate of 1250, you would need 200 calories a day. To lose weight, you can drop down 100 calories a day. Never, ever, should you go below 1000 calories a day for any length of time unless you want to get a protein deficiency and end up losing muscle. Too few calories a day puts the body into starvation mode, and you can actually GAIN weight on a low calorie diet.

Everything in moderation, including weight loss.

Good luck!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    So you wany to eat nothing but sugar all day and then try to elevate your heartrate for a sustained duration.

Yeah not a good plan. Not sustainable long term, honestly probably noy even sustainable short term.

Why would you want to do this to yourself?

To give you an idea of how unbalanced that is I honestly think you would he healthier if you ate nothing but snickers bars. At lrast then you would be getting a mix of protein fat and carbs.

Fruit is a good thing to have alonh with a balanced diet for some extra vitamins but alone its just sugar.