Strava

Options
i connect Strava to myfitnesspal and the calories are so different when it automatically transfers over. how do i unlink strava from MFP ??

Replies

• toddgerard5
    toddgerard5 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use mapmyride, but there should be a setting in the app itself.
  • jimmymatamata
    jimmymatamata Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes I have found the same thing.

My cycle computer (which calculates using my heart-rate) calculated my calories burned of 885 (3702 kJ).
    Strava calculated my calories burned of 817 (3418 kJ).

MyFitnessPal (linked to Strava) calculated my calories burned of 1189 (4975 kJ).

I would guess that my cycle computer (using my heart-rate) is probably the most accurate but I am willing to accept the figure from Strava as it is within the ball-park.

The MFP figure is way off and as such not much use.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just edit the figures?

Click on 'Exercise' -> click on the exercise you've done and alter the figures?

Strava figures are much better than MFP's 'random number generator' figures...
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just edit the figures?

Click on 'Exercise' -> click on the exercise you've done and alter the figures?

That's what I do - let it link through and then go into MFP and amend the calorie figure, only takes a second :)
  • jimmymatamata
    Options
    The whole point of having the link between the two is so you don't have to do any manual entries. If you have to edit figure you may as well not have them linked and just do a manual entry.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    The whole point of having the link between the two is so you don't have to do any manual entries. If you have to edit figure you may as well not have them linked and just do a manual entry.

I think there are still 'teething issues' with this process; have issues been reported to Strava's Zen Desk? I know I reported the issue that my rides weren't propagating from Cyclemeter to Strava and onwards to MFP and they sorted it...
  • Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I had problems with the Endomondo and Strava links to MFP and don't use them.

I have MFP only linked to FitBit, and any other activities in Strava or Endomondo (or whatever other "app") all go through FitBit, so if I need to make adjustments I do that in FitBit and then let it sync to MFP.

When I say make adjustments, things like zeroing steps for the period I was riding my bike, that sort of thing.
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I don't have Strave linked with MFP, but I also don't use the app on my phone (good backup though in case Garmin acts up). I find Strava's calorie estimate for me to be low, but the one in the MFP database is very inflated. I manually enter my excercise on MFP with a number I get from a HR calorie calculator. Accuracy is more important to me the the little bit extra time it takes.
  • jimmymatamata
    Options
    I agree, I believe the Strava calorie count might be a bit low. It always reads less than my cycle computer (using HR).

However, I would rather MFP used Strava, than their own inflated calorie figures. I believe it is better to under estimate calories burned from exercise.

I have logged the issue with MFP and am working with them to pinpoint the issue, hopefully it will be fixed soon.
  • theroserunner
    theroserunner Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm also getting hugely inflated calorie burn figures in Strava that then end up in my diary and I can't figure out how to delink it. Would really like to know as it's very annoying having to keep editing them.
  • whodunit68
    whodunit68 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know this thread is a bit old but anyone ever find anything on this? I get horribly different numbers. a HUGE difference. While I am working on figuring out which app I will use, I have them both running. Example - my latest bike ride was 48+/-km (I use both MMR and Strava on the ride.) They mostly agree on the distance and time - 48.2 on Strava and 48.25 kms on MMR. Strava says 2:19:47 and MMR says 2:18:29. Avg was 20.9 on MMR, 20.7 on Strava. Now get this - Strava says 908 calories and MMR says 3003! Holy cripes, Batman! I have them both log to MFP but always delete the MMR because they are so far off and as someone pointed out above, it's better to use the lower number. However, I've used a bunch of web calculators and most of them agree that the number is usually more than double Strava's (on any ride >= 20 mi or so that I've tried it.) My weight is entered in both apps (same number and update both as it reduces.)
    I realize this "science" is tough to go by as there are many factors but these numbers are soooo far off.....

(I'm a new rider and recognize times are a little slow but that's why I'm here - to lose weight/get in shape/etc so please go easy on me there.)
  • Slainte831
    Slainte831 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I downloaded strava today and connected it to my Garmin vivoactive and MFP. It doubled my exercise numbers. I've deleted the extra activity for today as well as the app itself. I think the Garmin will do everything I need.