Best weightlifting program for WEIGHT LOSS

Options
I'm looking for the best weight lifting program for weight loss, not necessarily strength gains. I'm already pretty strong and getting stronger isn't my main goal. I've tried Crossfit without much success on the weight loss front, and I'm ready to recommit to something that will help get this weight off. I've lost 5 pounds since Memorial Day after quitting Crossfit and walking 3ish miles a couple of times a week, but I have a large amount of lean body mass and would like to keep it that way.
And I understand the whole diet, nutrition, calories in, calories out thing. I'm trying to figure out what works for me and still haven't been able to come up with my magic number.
Thanks!!

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    There is no program best for weight loss since weight loss is dependent on eating at a calorie deficit.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    The best program is the one you'll do consistently.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    There is no 'best weightlifting program' for weight loss, seeing as weight loss is all down to a CALORIC DEFICIT.

Just eat right; get your macros; stick to a caloric deficit and enjoy it!
  • gary241069
    gary241069 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    My question is why do you want to lose weight.
    Health and Fitness is much more important than Weight loss!
    Losing weight wont make you look or feel better.
    Only fitness can do that.

However if you are really determined about weight loss
    then there is an Aerobics Program at your local gym called Body Pump
    which uses a weight training program for weight loss.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights is for health and fitness. Calorie deficit is for weight loss. You could have the best lifting program in the world, but if you're maintenance or surplus eating, weight loss isn't going to happen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    The best program is the one you'll do consistently.

That's really about it.
    Lifting weights is for health and fitness. Calorie deficit is for weight loss. You could have the best lifting program in the world, but if you're maintenance or surplus eating, weight loss isn't going to happen.

And that too. Most people don't understand what he said and think that exercise can compensate for all-else.
  • MommeeRN
    MommeeRN Posts: 7 Member
    Options

I agree that health and fitness are more important in most cases. But when you have at least 50 pounds to lose, it matters. I can outlift most of the girls at my Crossfit box, but my weight slows me down with anything that includes running or bodyweight exercises. It's frustrating, and i'm ready to be comfortable in my own skin.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I think weight isn't as important as inches and general overall size. Some good general programs that come up often are New Rules of Lifting for Women and Stronglifts 5x5. Basically if you lift heavy weights on a regular basis you will get stronger, and you will usually become smaller because muscle is less dense than fat. If all you care about is dropping pounds pick up a heavy cardio routine, but I doubt you will be happy with the overall results in the end.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options

I agree that health and fitness are more important in most cases. But when you have at least 50 pounds to lose, it matters. I can outlift most of the girls at my Crossfit box, but my weight slows me down with anything that includes running or bodyweight exercises. It's frustrating, and i'm ready to be comfortable in my own skin.
    So it's your intake that's the issue then. Reduce your intake by 500 calories from your TDEE to lose approximately 1lb a week.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • cmazurek85
    cmazurek85 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I felt the same exact way as you are feeling...in fact I still do. I do crossfit and have been doing it 3 times a week for about 9 months (I had to take off approx 18 weeks because I had 2 foot surgeries to remove bunions. best decision ever!)

I'm very overweight and did not grow up a heavy kid. my weight gains came while in college and I never got rid of it.

I mentioned my frustration to a coach and her reply was to add cardio after the sessions, at least 4 days a week. I tried it for a month (jogging outside, about 4 miles, for 4 days a week.) some days I jogged overlapped with my crossfit days. other times it didn't. I cut calories and ate as many whole, unprocessed foods as possible. I ate carbs and meet, and would use butter if I felt like it. Yes, I had a piece of toast. I actually made the bread myself. I focused on eating 1400 calories a day. I controlled no other aspect of the diet (carbs mainly.) I drank on occasion (4 times that month) and had a few cheat meals.

In the 4 weeks I did it, I lost 15 pounds, of which 8 pounds was fat (according to the scale.) my crossfit workouts greatly improved (my endurance during the crappy cardio WODs.) The only aspect of crossfit that didnt improve was the weight lifting. there were no PRs for me, despite that previously, I was close to surpassing a weight for a given movement. for example, my backsquat is at 190 (for 5 reps). I couldnt go over 130 on the days that I didnt have any carbs (not because I was trying to avoid them, but because I ate a lot of veggies and lean meat, because it was what I packed.) i now make sure to have something with sugar and more carbs (think fruit or green juice that I made myself and added fruit to it) on my lifting days, so I can have the extra energy.

I think the most succesful thing you could do is cut the calories and add more cardio. I think a lot of people doing crossfit will speak negatively about running. They may probably say something like "just go full paleo" or "running will not help you." If you are actually overweight, I think you can get therapedudic and physical benefits from running. you will increase your endurance for the WODs and burn more calories. Unless youre hiking up hills for an hour, a short, 3-4 mile run will be better.

There are so many people who ONLY ran and lost a lof of weight! you're fortunate to have the best of both worlds: running and lifting. if you can hold your calories steady, subsitutde starchy carbs with green veggies (cooked or otherwise), and jog, do the elliptical or run on a treadmil, you will see results. It's worked for me. Im 28, 5'2.5, and currently weigh 215 (as of last month.) it will be hard, but woth it in the end. And your skin will probably rebound nicely.

feel free to add me. I often get discouraged...like today, but i have to move forward. im supposed go running this evening and im dreading it, mostly because im feeling lazy.

good luck!
  • MommeeRN
    MommeeRN Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for your post! I know this doesn't sound possible, but I've tried it all. I've tried 1500 calories, crossfit and running. I've tried paleo. I've tried eating carbs just around workouts. It's just super frustrating to constantly be struggling!!